iphone 5

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by bigalxc, Sep 5, 2012.

1. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I've had it since Friday as well. Super fast.

2. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Mine is arriving this week. I currently have a 4S (that will be handed down to one of my kids) running iOS6.

What do you guys think of the new "Maps" App? I'm definitely not loving the fact that they ditched Google Maps.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The general feedback is that the maps are an utter failure.

That said, they are really simplistic right now, but I used the turn-by-turn navigation yesterday and it wasn't bad at all.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Now, I don't even know. It was probably the Note 1. Thing still is a beast though.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

maps.google.com still works fine on iOS 6, just add a shortcut to your home screen and never use apple maps again.

6. colleen74

colleen74 Member

I used the turn-by-turn (ios6 on 4s) the other day and thought it was great. Must eat at your data plan like crazy though if you have limited. Which I don't. ....for now.

#86 colleen74, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  7. Drew

Drew Active Member

I was in the same boat. There's no real new features I was clamoring for, but it's definitely a welcome upgrade. I'm enjoying it so far.

8. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

Ordered my new iphone5 over the phone as my previous contract had just expired, thinking it would be a simple and convenient process,

I got a text message to say it would be delivered on Tuesday. I had to be here in person to receive it with ID etc.
    It didn't come. I called them 'sorry there has been a delay'
    It didn't come Wednesday either, sat around the office all day again. I called them in an agitated state again and was told it would come on Thursday between 1 and 5pm

It came at 9am, lucky I was here.

A note with the phone said 'just transfer your old sim card into the new phone'
    Guess what. The new iphone5 has a different size sim card.

So I've got a shiny new phone with no sim card and will now have to go into a store and kick some heads.

Not apple's fault. It's my carrier Optus.

9. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

optarse sponsored carlton , what do you expect !!!

10. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Mine arrived today. So fast. So shiny. I'll report on battery life as the next day or two goes.

11. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

It's funny you say that, I had problems with mine. I was able to fix it though.

1. Turn off push notifications
    2. Turn of location services
    3. KEEP THE ICLOUD OFF UNLESS YOU WANT TO TRANSFER (biggest battery drainer)

I did the above 3, and I have about 62% batter as of 2:43pm, my phone has been unplugged 100% at 7:00am. I was listing to Podcasts and surfing the web from 715 am - 9am, at lunch facebook web etc .. and everytime I drop a deuce or just check stuff at my desk from time to time. I do know that the 4LTE drains battery faster, but you can turn it off to save battery. I am leaving mine on

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

My battery life sucks too.

I have turned off a bunch of push notifications except for the ones I want and now my email is set to fetch, which isnice because I dont need the phone to buzz every time I get junk email.

I have left certain location services on because they're helpful when using a given app.

I don;t want to turn off icloud because I would like photos and thigns to sync automatically. If I turn it off, I will forget to turn it on when I want it on.

The most frustrating thing is that this is a brand new product, and an expensive one at that. They add all this connectivity and all these features but don't give you a battery capable of handling all the features they've given you. It seems like a bit of a half assed job to me.

I have to take away stuff that contributed to making the phone marketable to be able to use the phone.....how does that make sense?

13. Mantana Soss

[​IMG]

They couldn't put a bigger battery in it if they tried. It's the biggest problem in the phone world, lithium ion technology has peaked. You can't make them hold any more power per inch than what's already done. All you can do is make them physically larger. That is, until someone reinvents the battery. Apple has a few hydrogen fuel cell type patents, maybe it's the direction they're heading a few years down the road.

They DID put a larger battery in the iPhone 5, but more services, faster processing, and LTE all drain it. I personally don't think it's much worse than the 4. FWIW, I have 57% left right now, took it off charge at 8AM, had music playing through bluetooth most of the day, plus casual browsing.

They could feasibly put out an iPhone 5 'MAXX' like the razr and just have it be thicker, but Apple sticks to a pretty simple formula, one phone at a time.

That, or I'm sure Mophie will have a battery case out within a few weeks. Given how thin the 5 is, a solid battery boosting case should still leave you with a phone that isn't overwhelmingly thick.

I own one of these:
    [​IMG]
    and it's good for almost 2 full charges.

14. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Are there potential production issues because even though my battery issue is not drastic, I highly doubt I could use mine as much as you've used yours today and still be at 57%.

I took mine off charge today at 85% and it's now at 50% and I have used it sparingly. I've checked twitter and facebook a few times, sent some texts, and been in the settings for a bit while trying to find ways to prolong battery. I have not listened to any music or watched any videos at all today. It's been on 2-3 bars LTE all day.

Lastly, what can I disable to prolong battery life but not feel like I am limiting my iphone's features? I've turned off most push notifications anyway becuase they're mostly annoying.

What's bugging me is I upgraded from a 3Gs and am using the iphone 5 the same way, doing all the same things, but getting less battery life.

15. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I didn't want to wait the 3+ weeks for the 5 backorder and just bought a 4s. Its basically the same phone just with a larger screen and 4G LTE isn't avaible where I live yet.

16. Mantana Soss

Just charge your phone fully overnight, every night. There's gotta be somewhere in your life you can reliably get a little extra charge time, be it at a work desk, your car, etc. This phone DOES charge pretty quick, on a 20-25 minute ride home from work I add about 30%, while it plays the music in my car via bluetooth.

I'm a little ridiculous though and have a fancy 12V lighter splitter that also has 2 USB ports on it, so I'll occasionally be charging my phone, ipad, and mophie battery all at once.

Also, I don't turn any features off.

17. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

those samsung commercials pointing out how over-rated the apple iphone is are hilarious. suckers waiting in lines overnight. for a stupid phone?!

since a bunch of other companies own the LTE patents, apple may yet get karma and be on the receiving end of a large $$$ court judgement against them.

besides, if apple is so great, why are the majority ( i'll bet 90%) of you using windows computers? it's just a fancy two-way radio! jobs got the idea from a 30's dick tracy comic book....:eek:hmy::rofl:

18. mr nyjet

along with more choice/competition, better prices, cheaper data costs.

did i mention how apple got started by ripping off the whole concept of its gui from xerox?

talk about the pot calling the kettle black.:shit:

#98 mr nyjet, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  19. mr nyjet

true. and, while carriers in this country rip you off on data costs, why compound it by being ripped-off on the phone also?

iphone is highly over-rated.

20. mr nyjet

:beer: rotf! lmao. :rofl: