Sanchez or Tebow, what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Oct 1, 2012.

1. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't matter who starts...The season is ruined due to key injuries...

2. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

I hope it's not over. We need to mix things up and see what shakes out

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Injuries are opportunities for guys to step up and show something. If you disagree, ask Tom Brady. :)

4. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Here is the problem i have. It seems you (or possible other T-Admirers, maybe just you) only know who the "true pro's" are. Are there a couple of them in the NFL? Do they where name-tags? Are the "Pro's" aka "amateur-pro's" aware of the True Pro's? Is there a program to obtain "true pro" status or a hazing ritual? Is the NFL filled with Pseudo-Pro's? What the hell is a "True Pro"? And how is the T-Pro's analysis of talent different than the Non-True Pro's? What makes their analysis so special?

5. Bannon

Bannon New Member

No, you're overthinking it. I just meant people who work in the NFL, as opposed to ESPN, pundits, internet. For example, the Jets coaches, who brought him in.

The things I typed are the actual conventional knowledge about Tebow -- it just doesn't make it to people like Colin Cowherd or the internet trolls.

Which statement do you disagree with? I think you're sort of illustrating my point if you, as a fan, were unaware he had a strong arm, good accuracy down the field, and good athleticism, and that his main shortcomings are the mechanics to deliver quick, accurate passes in the short to intermediate game.

6. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

I don't believe I am over-thinking. If you told a GM/Coach he can have a Franchise QB for late draft pick, you drop everything and call the team on the spot. That isn't happening. The "True Pro's" (NFL guys as you put it - specifically True Pro HOF'r John Elway) don't see TT as a Franchise QB (you certainly don't' trade those guys). Unless you have the '86 Bears or '00 Ravens on Def, TT is not a future for "any" team, according to true pros. If he is, why isn't the Jets phone ringing off the hook. The draft is a gamble, but if a true pro feels like the Jets backup punt protector is a quality starting QB, he can easily sway him away for a 5th rounder. That doesn't seem to be happening. Sanchez is on the hook for 8M next yr, no team is taking that contract. He'll be playing is finally year as the starting QB. I'm certainly no true pro, but i'm thinking along the same lines. i wish TT well while he's on the team and in the game, but i do not see him as the Future Jets QB for the next 5-10yrs. (my 2 cents)

7. catfish

catfish New Member

I wouldn't trust anything ESPN said about the guy good or bad. Google Doug Gottleibs exit interview on the Dan Patrick show, he goes into how the management at ESPN directed them to basically manufacture news with regards to Tebow. I will go with Steve Young's take since he actually took the time to throw with him, Tebow has the potential to be good, but may or may not get there

8. Bannon

Bannon New Member

You'r still overthinking it. "True pros" just meant guys who work in the NFL. It was not a selection of "certain" guys who work in the NFL. It was meant to exclude punditry on the internet and ESPN.

You changed the question on the table to whether he is a "franchise QB." I don't think for a moment that there's anything close to a consensus by "true Pros" that he's a franchise QB.

One more time, here's what I said. Which do you disagree with:

He has a good arm. He has good accuracy on downfield passes. His difficulty is with his mechanics, in throwing quick, accurate passes in the short to intermediate game.

9. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Tebow has better accuracy on downfield passes because it's less cluttered there than close to the LoS. It's simple enough for Timmy to comprehend and make a decent decision. Downfield plays also take longer to develop so he has more time to process what's happening on the field.

Tebow's problem isn't his mechanics, it's his "football smarts." Or "field vision." Or "situational awareness." Call it what you want. He cannot take in everything that is happening around him, process it, select the proper receiver and fire off a pass in the short amount of time that NFL QBs are given to do so.

If Tebow's 1st option isn't open, he can't go thru his progressions to find another option in time. So he gets confused, pulls down the ball and runs for it...

10. Potzer

Potzer New Member

^^^ There is some truth here.

What I can't reconcile is how he can be so good at reading the field in the running/option game. Yet so Lackluster reading defense's.

11. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Normally snap counts make a difference.

12. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Spotting a run lane open for 4 yards is a lot simpler than figuring out who is going to blitz (just the front 4, weakside LB, Free Safety, etc), how well the line is blocking, if you have to shift to help the line block, if the right WR is going to break free on a buttonhook, is the middle LB buying the run fake or dropping into coverage, etc, etc, etc ALL AT THE SAME TIME and then deciding on what the right option is.

Tebow could become a great RB (or TE, or hybrid-back), his skill-set matches up wonderfully. And even then, he would STILL be a dual-threat because he does have some real ability to throw on any given play, so Defenses couldn't just sell-out on stuffing the run...

13. catfish

catfish New Member

I cant think of a QB with 300 passing attempts or less in the nfl that doesnt struggle with field vision to some extent or the other, the only solution is to play more and see if it gets better

14. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Following that logic, the Jets should allow ME to start at QB. And when I start stinking up the field like everyone knows I will, they simply have to keep letting me start because I might somehow manage to get better...

Football doesn't have a minor league to allow prospects unlimited time to develop. They have to do it in games that count. And if they don't show results, the responsible thing for coaches to do is to move on.

Nobody gets unlimited chances in the NFL without showing something...

15. catfish

catfish New Member

name 1 1st round qb that has been put in a worse situation than Tebow and given less time to develop before passing judgement than tebow in the last 10 years. He is already putting up better career numbers than Sanchez...yet Tebow is the one who cant play???

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The difference is that one is a shitty qb and the other is a decent personal punt protector.

17. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Brady Quinn. :smile:

The Jets made it to 2 consecutive AFCCGs with Sanchez. You don't throw THAT away.

18. SDI_Gator

SDI_Gator New Member

Colt McCoy?

19. catfish

catfish New Member

I'll give you Quinn, good catch....looks like he will get a 2nd chance soon :)

the AFCCG's buy him till the end of this year IMO, he should be producing way above where he is at now

20. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

We are all saying he can not run a conventional offense (even tebow fans) but the truth is he has not gotten a chance to show improvement this year. Pres season not withstanding (that offensive scheme from sporano was ridiculous in the pre season) .

I need to see him out there again, he was not as good as some tebow fans think last year but he was no where as bad as all T-haters feel he was either.

Decker and Drop" arius Thomas were in the bottom 14 players in drops last year (and they are on the same pace of incompetence with manning again by the way!) , if you take away just drops, tebow's completion percentage is 54%-56% , still not great but no where near the atrocious 46%, just a few receptions makes a big difference to his numbers from last year.