Start Tebow against Houston

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by BillyGreen, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I guess the Steelers don't count. Yeah, I know you are talking about the 7-1 start, but nice omission.

2. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Fits right in here, eh?

3. CaneJet

Yep, plenty to hate right at home.

4. CaneJet

I had no problem with Tebow until he was traded for. I simply don't believe in his style of play as a starting QB. I get no enjoyment out of 60 veer option plays out of the wishbone each game. Not to mention pulling out 3-point squeakers against shit teams which is all TT did for Denver last year.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Exact response I was expecting. Thanks

6. CaneJet

The proper way to employ Tebow is to have him on the field full-time as a slash back. Keep the opponents guessing. He may run, or block, or catch, or throw. But keep him in there with Sanchez-always.

But this argument's three months too late anyway....

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Start Tebow vs. Houston?

"Er Houston, WE have a problem"

8. Dennis

Dennis New Member

By all means, count the Steelers. Quality win against a quality team. Nice win.

But if we're going to include the Steelers, then shouldn't we also include those FOUR losses surrounding that lonely win?

If Orton starting the season 1-4 was bad, then Tebow finishing the season 1-4 isn't much better.

#208 Dennis, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. dreamsfloatjoe

dreamsfloatjoe New Member

Now that's funny right there, I'll tell ya. I don't care who your refs are! Git-R-Dun! :rofl: Thanks for sharing.

10. JustLurking

JustLurking New Member

Does someone really need to explain Orton's history to you? We are talking about a QB who is a special kind of suck. The guy actually had a game where he completed 75% of his passes, and still couldn't get a touchdown. I mean that is special if you ask me. Not to mention the phantom sacks, and phantom fumbles. Maybe Jets fans are ill informed enough about Denver last year that they buy this junk, but as a Denver fan myself seriously just give it up. Orton had so much opportunity, and it was the most painful football viewing I have ever witnessed.

11. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Bingo.

It's not like the Broncos rolled a bunch of world beaters here with Tebow. The defense wasn't that great, but good enough to stop most of those teams. Most of the games in that win streak, the Broncos only needed like 13-16 points. They could have gotten that with Orton at QB too as he averaged more than 20 points per game. Look it up. They always said Tebow was better than Orton... okay, so what? I think it had obviously been awhile since Denver saw what an actual QB looked like. Anyone that moved around a little bit looked good. Didn't matter if he threw dirt missiles all day.

By no means am I saying Orton was a good QB, just saying we could get that kind of offensive production from pretty much any starting caliber QB around the league. Nothing special about Tebow.

What I can't figure out is, when Kyle ORton became the measuring stick for QBs in Denver. This isn't exactly the gold standard of QBs here. That's like saying Kindergartner is more advanced than a pre-schooler when there are 6th graders, 9th graders, and high school seniors also hanging around.

The Tebow fanatic will tell you that all is needed is to build an elite defense and build completely around him on offense to succeed. Well... no shit. Even Trent dilfer can get a SB with "the right guys" around him.

#211 Concerned_Citizen, Oct 3, 2012
  12. Concerned_Citizen

Of course it counts... but if so, then you might want to count that game afterwards too. The one no Tebowner wants to talk about...

The team as a whole is bad, but Tebow really blew chunks in that game. Poor fool thought he could get away with punting the ball back to Brady all day like he did most of the season.

13. Concerned_Citizen

A+.

I would have had less of a problem with that had he NOT shown up to camp looking like... well, like THAT. It was supposed to be a competition, and he looked so bad that Orton was taking most of the reps from the starters by the third day. It was official a week into camp. This was Kyle Orton, folks. Not Brett Favre, not Joe Montana, not Dan Marino.

Seems he REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoys the spotlight.

but by his own admission, he chose the Jets because New York provided a better platform. Yeah, I'd be somewhat concerned if I were writing his paychecks and considering giving him the keys to the franchise as my franchise QB where his priorities are. cuz he looked just as awful in the last preseason as he always did.

14. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Hahaha, Tim's not your err,,,type huh? I'm just glad it is you, Dennis, and CaneJet that are stroking each other and not trying to stroke Tim or the rest of us that don't troll other teams message boards or jets fans that come in this forum for the sole purpose of antagonizing Tim fans. Talk about warped.

15. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Orton took most of the reps on Day 1. It was never a "competition." It was the Orton offense from 2010, without change.

16. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

ok so what youre saying is. The people that do this for a living (and do miss on occasion) but really watch film, ask questions, spend 8+ hours a day doing nothing but dealing with football and 95% believe the way I do that they are all wrong and your EYE's are better than their collective 1000's of years of nfl experience?

Wow. check out the big ego on brad!

17. Concerned_Citizen

Most of the reports I got said it was about even for day 1. It came out that Tebow wasn't doing good at all.

You're right though... it was decided very quickly. But the suckiness did continue on through camp and through most of the preseason. tebow never really made a case for himself as starter after that.

I found that disappointing... I admit I wasn't all that impressed with his 3 starts the year before, but I was pretty excited about what he would do the next season. I figured he was just raw.... but now that he's entering his third season, I saw some of the Jets games with him... and he still looked every bit like he always did since the day he was drafted. That's a concern, and likely why Elway didn't want him around as a backup. The media and rabid Tebowmaniac headaches didn't outweigh the upside.

Fox did have to make a quick decision though. The first practice they had was just over a week before preseason, and barely a month before the season. Tim Tebow wasn't his only worry, he had to install a new defense, needed to bring in free agents, figure out how to run an offense. They really couldn't afford to split starting snaps for very long.

#217 Concerned_Citizen, Oct 3, 2012
  18. Concerned_Citizen

Don't know... the infatuation some have with Tebow is actually kind of creepy. Never seen so many people pull together to circle the wagons around some guy that posts JaMarcus Russell numbers in a pass happy league.

If he had any other name on his back, and wasn't already a media darling before he ever joined the ranks of the NFL... he would have been forgotten a long time ago. probably selling insurance right how.

Some people like mediocre players I guess... He is a pretty swell guy though.

19. Remarker

Remarker Banned

For those that have had some facts escape them;

On June 13, Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels declared Orton the starting quarterback for the season. Orton led the Broncos to a 12-7 victory in the 2009 season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals. The game was won on a deflected pass that landed in the arms of Brandon Stokley who took it 87yards for a touchdown.

Over the next five weeks, Orton led the Broncos to a surprising 6-0 record to begin the season. His most impressive effort in that streak came against the New England Patriots, when he completed 35-48 passes for 330 yards and orchestrated a 98-yard drive to tie the game and send it into overtime. He threw his first interception of the season to Randy Moss at the end of the first half. It was his first in 173 pass attempts which dated back to 2008 when he was with the Chicago Bears. He led another drive for the game-winning field goal in overtime. On October 13, 2009, Kyle Orton was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week, for that effort.

It's a safe argument that a start like that generates confidence in coaches.

On Nov. 15, Orton suffered an ankle injury on the road against the Washington Redskins. He came out of the game at halftime with a career high passer rating of 134.7. The injury kept him from starting the next game against the Chargers. He did return partway through that game, replacing Chris Simms.

After the ankle injury, Orton struggled and resulted in Orton being replaced by Tim the following year in the Broncos 5th game.

BTW, Concerned Citizen is a Bear not Elway.

#219 Remarker, Oct 3, 2012
  20. Remarker

Remarker Banned

For me it's a Gator thing. I can also understand Tim's 'nice guy' appeal to Mom's, wives, daughters, kids, and do gooders. The 'Bible thumper' appeal confuses and freaks me out the most. But whatever, I don't care who Tim prays to, or if he prays at all, as long as Tim's team is getting Ws.

Tim's 'looks' appeal or non appeal, is creepy to me.

#220 Remarker, Oct 3, 2012