Ed Werder: Jets only want to play Tebow if Sanchez is doing well

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by CowboysFan, Oct 2, 2012.

1. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Ed Werder on ESPN stated that "the Jets do not want to play Tebow if Sanchez is not playing well . The better Sanchez plays the more you can expect to see Tebow. The worse Sanchez plays the less you will see Tebow. This is to make sure that Tebow does not come in and play well when Sanchez is not thus creating a controversy" (paraphrase)

Well this explains quite a bit and hits the nail right on the head. Its the reason that in a 34 point blow out Tebow only got 7 snaps and 5 were at Fullback and also the reason that against the Steelers (a team tebow previously terrorized and a team that could not stop the read option spread ) he was virtually non existent.

Its quite mind boggling really, everyone (including Tebow )thought the opposite would occur , in perfect situations against Pittsburgh and San Francisco Tebow got very little if any playing time , now we know what the mind set is for playing him. How about worrying about winning and not what the media or fan perception is?

He also said ( Werder said this part was an "informed opinion" ) that Tebow felt perplexed and a bit deceived because he thought Rex really wanted him to contribute.

what a cluster fuck, add the Cowboys debacle of a season and so far I have really hitched my wagon to two rising organizations....

#1 CowboysFan, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Why is it that everyone but Rex and Tanny saw this coming? John Elway is like Kaizer Soze, walked away from this like a shining star, I don't see any Broncos fan still clamoring for Tebow.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

LOL...a thread quoting a hack from ESPN...perfect!

4. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I never said he should start and feel Sanchez should still start but I do not understand why he is not even being used and when he is its with zero imagination.... direct snap up the middle or overload line then go opposite way into unblocked defenders (over and over and over...)

5. Don

Because if he is successful the media will create a firestorm the likes you have never seen before. In that respect Werder is right, the Jets don't want to use Tebow unless Sanchez is playing well. I am sure that wasn't the case when they traded for him but between the media and fanbase they have made sure that 20 plays a game Ryan talked about will never happen. Rex says he will do what he thinks is best for the team but at this point I believe he will do what he is told to do. You just don't talk like he did for three months and all through camp and then use the guy to block 6 out of 7 plays..you just don't.

6. Remarker

Remarker Banned

For me, Mark's 'coach known' fragility has always been at the top of my guesses about why Tim has been misused, and is further evidence that the logic of the FO, relative to Mark, is faulty, with or without Tim.

7. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

That makes the opposite of sense. Hey, let's not play this guy for fear of him doing well, therefore our team doing well? wth.

*edit* here's his tweet.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn
    Unlike most backups, Tim Tebow needs starter Mark Sanchez to play well to get on the field. Jets protect Sanchez ego, avoid controversy #nfl

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn
    Tim Tebow gets seven snaps, throws one pass in 34-0 loss. He went to Jets thinking coaches believed in him. Must question that now #nfl #

8. Potzer

Potzer New Member

Eh, I find it hard to believe that the jets have more interest in protecting Sanchez than in winning games.

I guess they do have 20 million reasons to do this. However, it doesn't seem right.

9. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Well that certainly sounds like jets logic to me.

10. Bannon

Bannon New Member

It just seems like they want it to be like the Niners used Cap on Sunday -- as a complement to an productive offense.

They don't want it to be perceived as "Sanchez is struggling, let's try Tebow."

11. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

That's it in a nutshell you said it better than anybody so far.

Yeah I saw it on a live interview on ESPN though

12. Don

What Tannenshit did this winter for Sanchez and Holmes was a disgrace and it is because of that we can't do anything now..sooner or later you guys will realize the Jets are broke cap wise.

13. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I think many of us posting in this forum already knew this to be true.

14. iPlayiBall

iPlayiBall New Member

Not looking hard enough. Just like there are fans of any team who still clamor for old players. For some people it's emotional, for some it's logical, for some is there no rhyme or reason.

And I don't know how true this is but it does match what has actually transpired. I don't think Werder has any insider knowledge; instead he came up with a conclusion just based on what has happened but there are a million other conclusions that could be used to explain Tebow's playing time, or lack thereof.

15. reverseapachemaster

For example, the coaches may not be confident with what they are seeing in practice or on the field from Tebow.

16. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

I don't really believe anything Ed Werder says, I think he usually stirs the pot with anything, remember, he covers the Cowboys, and overblows EVERYTHING!

17. Don

Of course it is and I didn't see where he was trying to state a fact, just his opinion...but all the hacks on ESPN are the same when it comes to NY sports in general, the Jets in particular.

18. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Well the ESPN "circus" is coming to town next week, so it is something to talk about. If it is true, I think it is doing a extreme diservice to this team. People need to be held accountable, that what makes Bill Parcells and Tom Coughlin great coaches. You don't perform you don't play, if they are stoking Sanchez's ego then the Jets are truly a circus. I mean, in 2009 Lito Sheppard was traded for and was though to be opposite corner of Revis, but lost his job to Dwight Lowery, why, because he WASN"T PERFORMING.

I think if the Jets have another performance like last week, Rex Ryan NEEDS to start benching people, egos be damned! If he dosn't, then it will be another broken team with a dysfunctional locker room, and Rex and Tanny will be out of the job.

#18 Diddy, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  19. JFjets

JFjets New Member

There are so many similarities between this and the Broncos situation last season. Coaches saying some of the same stuff, i.e. "Sanchez/Orton gives us the best chance to win", etc., etc., etc. The media is following the exact same script, also. Just like last year they acted like Tebow hadn't started the last 3 games of the 2010 season and played pretty well, they are acting now like the 2011 season never happened and Tebow didn't take the team to the playoffs. Guys who were acknowledging what Tebow/Denver did last season are now back to hating on him and saying New York's season is "over" if they start Tebow. Heard that numerous times last year with Orton and Denver. I even heard the ol' "Rex will split/lose the locker room if he benches Mark and puts Tebow in". How many times did we have to hear that nonsense last year in Denver with Fox and Orton? Endlessly.

You can take this to the bank, though: I don't know what Rex and Tony's original "true" feelings were about bringing Tebow in, but if there's one thing they hate worse than anything else, it isn't hurting Sanchez' ego or feelings. They hate LOSING. If Sanchez keeps crapping the bed, they aren't going to throw away the entire season because they don't want to damage the ego of Sanchez, when they're probably wondering (if they haven't already made up their minds) if he even has a long term future with this team. John Fox and John Elway were determined beyond all reason not to bench Orton and start Tebow last year, but they had a breaking point, and it's called LOSING again and again. Rex may not be at his breaking point yet, but one more prime time butt kicking with sub par play by Sanchez just might do it. Monday night's game against the Texans has an ill wind for just exactly that type of outcome. Who knows, Sanchez may surprise us all and look all world, but I'm not counting on it. I believe Houston's defense will be every bit as tough as San Fran's was (if not moreso), and Matt Schaub is definitely a better QB than Alex Smith, so they're going to do some scoring.

Time will tell, but just keep in mind, Rex isn't going to just keep on riding a losing horse forever.

20. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Also there where empty seats in the stands!