To The Mark Sanchez Defenders

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Graytness, Oct 1, 2012.

1. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

I'm so sick of hearing about Sanchez's playoff wins. He won four playoff games without passing for 200 yards in any of them. His only job was to not totally ruin the game in his few attempts. Congratulations, we have a quarterback that is capable of going 4 games without totally ruining an elite defense and running game.

Give Sanchez the 2000 Ravens and sure, he'll win a few playoff games. Give him any reasonable assortment of talent and he looks like what he is: a well below-average starting QB.

Hell, Tebow won a playoff game, and he actually had to pass for 300 to do it. And there's a pretty good consensus that Tebow sucks. I'm not interested in hearing about how Sanchez got dragged to a few playoff wins a few years ago. That's a BS line on his resume.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Perfect example of hating Sanchez for his failures and ignoring his successes. Have your cake and eat it too.

3. Graytness

Graytness Member

With better personnel, the Jets could win with almost any other QB. The Jets rarely, if ever, win because of Mark Sanchez. More times than not, they win despite him.

Obviously, there are much bigger problems...but if you're going to start rebuilding, it usually starts with the QB.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we didn't lose either title game b/c of the QB. Not everyone makes the playoffs every year and we didn't make it last year for a # of reasons inclduing our overrated defense.

he did, we wouldn't have got there in 2010 w/o him resucing our overrated D and lack of run game numerous times during that season.

They didn't have a dminant D and run game in '09 & '10/ They never had a dominant D(don't confuse that w/ rankings), they had a dominant run game in 2009 but it was average in 2010.

Dominant D's don't routinely blow games late, our run game was good early in 2010 but faded as LT faded.

5. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Hypothetical articles don't do much...Sanchez made some monster throws against Indy in 2010 and completely outplayed Brady after that.

That's like saying the Giants would have won without Manning in 07 because he had more turnovers than touchdowns, they had a solid defense, and could run. Manning was huge in the playoff run.

6. xxedge72x

I disagree.

There are so many quarterbacks that are much better than Sanchez who haven't done anything meaningful.

Look at Tony Romo who will be a statistical demon 99% of the game then blow it when it counts most. Sanchez isn't that guy.

There is a factor to Sanchez that isn't demonstrable through statistics. His playoffs success showed that.

If I were the Jets FO, I don't give up on Sanchez just yet. It makes absolutely 0 sense to cut him immediately after signing him to a new deal. Get a new QB in... not a one year bullshit solution like Tebow, but a real first round pick potential franchise QB. Let the kid sit and learn and not be thrown into the fire until the Jets get their shit together on the rest of the roster. Give Sanchez that much time to show he'll ever turn it around.

If the Jets are rebuilding there is 0 penalty to letting Sanchez guide them through that phase. It hurts more to cut him than to keep him. If Sanchez turns it around during that time then great. If not we either cut him, or trade him.

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Great point - Tony Romo based on stats is an elite top 5 QB, is provided with extensive offensive weapons both running and receiving. They have an elite pass rusher and some good defensive pieces, but when the game is on the line or playoffs are at stake he has what 1 playoff win?

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry but the Defense and running game won those road playoff games, not the passing game. Sanchez has NEVER carried the team to victory. Yes he has engineered some last minute scores, but only because the defense kept the team in striking distance.

Sanchez in his career has completed 54% of his passes and thrown only 5 more TD's than interceptions, Throw on top of that 31 fumbles, 13 of those lost. The Jets won inspite of Sanchez, not because of him. He doesn't take care of the ball and more often than not the Defense bailed him out from his mistakes.

And this year we just see more of the same, but this year, and last, the Jets don't have a top 5 rushing attack or top 5 defense to bail his ass out and hide his glaring weaknesses.

9. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

His successes stink. He's thrown for less than 700 yards in 4 playoff wins. That's not something he deserves two seasons of free passes for. In our second round playoff game against SD in '09, he threw for 100 yards on 23 attempts with 1 TD and 1 INT. And we won. We scored 14 points in that fourth quarter and had 9 passing yards. Praise Sanchize, how could we have ever gotten through that game with anyone else. What a clutch performer.

10. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

Its Tebow Time.

Unfortunately, the team as a whole is not set up currently to succeed with Sanchez at the helm. Tebow is only the answer until you have A.) Better Skill players on offense, which you don't or B.) Draft a Stud QB from College that is a can't miss, which is NOT Sanchez.

Sanchez would be a good fit in Arizona. Not in NY. He's a bust. Plain and simple. 50% passing without an intangibles to write it off, is not gonna get it done.

Its Tebow Time.

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

seriously man...at this point his failures that can be DIRECTLY attributed to him far outweigh the successes that can be DIRECTLY attributed to him.

this is just true at this point...it hurts, but its true.

12. xxedge72x

Holy shit. I don't know about anyone else but I was stoked after beating Manning and Brady back to back weeks. Only with the Jets can anyone downplay that.

13. xxedge72x

The closest thing in the entire NFL to a QB whose play fully starts and ends with him is Michael Vick. I'm sure that's not what we want?

Again team sport. Much more at play then Mark Sanchez right now. I'm in no way denying how much he sucked yesterday in particular. Not at all.

The people who need to be ashamed of themselves right now are Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan. I don't know how Ryan could bring himself to the podium after that shit show.

14. nyjunc

where is it in the rules you have to carry a team to victory? Peyton manning won his only SB b/c of the D, Eli won 2 b/c of his D's.

Mark had one medicore playoff game, and 5 good to veyr good ones. The one mediocre one he had he led us to a chip shot FG to win a road playoff game in the final seconds. That's not easy to do.

We didn't have a real top 5 rush attack to bail us out 2 years ago either(don't be fooled by meaningless McKnight

you don't get bonus pts for throwing for more yds, he made plays to help us win many playoff games. Somethig supposed better QBs have been unable to do.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Playoffs? You're talking Playoffs? This team is so far from talking about playoffs...that is ancient history at this point...much like you tried to hold on to Pennington when his time was over you are doing the same with Sanchez.

16. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

I didn't realize it was Sanchez holding arguably the two best quarterbacks of all time to 16 and 21 points (7 of which were garbage time) in back to back weeks. Maybe he was at cornerback and I just didn't realize. Would do a better job of explaining why he gets so much credit for a bunch of playoff wins in which the offense barely needed to perform at all, and got its limited performances almost entirely from the running game.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I think Sanchez is hurt again. I've never seen him play this bad barring the end of last season and his rookie year.

18. xxedge72x

Yes because Sanchez didn't throw three touchdown passes against New England. God came down and redirected those passes when they left Sanchezs hands in order to let the receivers do all the work.

And you're making my point about the problems being bigger than Sanchez. Getting rid of Sanchez will have absolutely no positive effect on making this team better. If you put Tebow or McElroy in there guess what, they're still surrounded by shit.

19. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Seems to me Junc would have given up on Peyton because he didn't have early playoff success. The bottom line is that great quarterbacks will give you more opportunities to break through in the playoffs because they will be consistently get you there and don't need everything around them to be perfect (like a great defense, solid running game, outstanding pass protection...all things Sanchez had his first two years).

20. nyjunc

I don't give up on players easily esspecially when I have seen them help us nearly reach 2 SBs. This game is about winning, as great as Peyton is he's only won 1 SB and he was pretty mediocre that postseason run outside of a great half against NE. mark has proven we can win w/ him and that is important to me.