2012 Week 4 - New York Jets vs. San Francisco 49'ers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Pure realism here: The Jets will not likely win Sunday. The match ups just aren't in our favor. The 49ers have a great defense, I'm watching the game right now and Christian Ponder is just lights out, not poor play by 49er D. They have a very good pass rusher in Aldon Smith, the Willis-Bowman 1-2 punch in the middle, Justin Smith stopping the run, and Carlos Rogers on Holmes. They simply outmatch us. On the other side of the ball, Cro on Moss and Wilson on Crabtree isn't bad, but wilson will need help that normally would be going towards stopping Vernon Davis. Our better run stopping LB's are not going to be playing nearly as much because we will have to rework our defensive strategy to account for the passing threats, and hopefully Frank Gore doesn't tear us up.

The only, only way we win this game is if Mark has the best game of his career. Looking at our weapons, the absolute only way we win is if Mark can confidently and dangerously attack their weakest point on D, which isn't even weak to begin with. Since this is unlikely, and I'm very concerned with Alex Smith and Frank Gore running away on the edges, I think the 49ers will win.

2. Gastin-oh

Gastin-oh New Member

Didn't the 9'ers just lose to the Vikings? And hadn't the Vikings just lost to Indy that might only win 3 games this year?

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah. But the Dolphins beat the Raiders and the Raiders beat the Steelers and the Steelers beat the Jets so that means the Dolphins beat the Jets, right?

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the game the Vikings lost to Indy but in the game they played vs the 9ers they played very very well. Christian Ponder literally just escaped pressure so perfectly and placed the ball so perfectly on every throw he just led the Vikes to the win. Mark Sanchez has yet to ever play like Ponder just played.

5. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

I don't see how the jets are going to score points. This game can get real ugly, real quick.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Hey look! It's another Nostradamus! You need to teach me your wisdom so I can learn how to definitively predict games like you. It was laughable that the Vikings could win, but look what happened. Did you predict that? Bottom line, if they can win, we can win. No doubt it'll be a tough road, but it's doable.

#166 Barcs, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I love when people just talk out their ass like this.

Quarterback &team comp yards YPA TD INT QBR Rating
    M. Sanchez vs Bills 19/27, 266 9.9, 3, 1, 97.1 123.4
    C. Ponder vs 49ers 21/35 198 5.7 2 0, 89.9 94.7

Yeah, Sanchez has NEVER played like that. Like are you for real? Why do people show such hate for Sanchez? He also avoided multiple sacks last game.

#167 Barcs, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

serious question, how can the jets beat the 49ers week 4?

9. mute

mute Well-Known Member

by playing like they did against the Bills. Particularly the O.

10. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

He is Mexican and after his football career he is coming to take your low wage labor job away.

11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed re: Keller. We're likely screwed as is, but we're really screwed if he doesn't.

12. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Close game, we will stop their running game, bcuz we struggle with speed and setting the edges. Our middle front line will take care of Gore. Our prob is getting the run game going to set up the play action. Play action pass against this aggressive defense can lead to big plays.

I we can get fast out the gate withquick passes, then we can set our running game.

Our defense can neutralize their mediocre passing game with extra focus on V. Davis.

Sanchez needs to set quick tempo, and I wouldn't mind no huddle to prevent the defense to gain strategic advantage and to tire their pass rushers.

Jets win 24-20 We stop them on downs on their last drive.

13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Sanchez has had some great games. I don't see how that stat line from Ponder is so amazing other than him not throwing a pick. The guy rarely hits passes downfield. I like Ponder and I am one of the few people who thinks he will be the best QB to come out of the 2011 draft, but he is in his second year and has yet to prove anything.

14. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

Message to Alex Smith:

Peyton Manning hated playing against Antonio Cromartie. And you son, ain't no Peyton Manning...

Go ahead, throw the ball son... Throw it!

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

The 49ers don't blow teams out, and they win those close games by protecting the football. When they make mistakes they are a extremely vulnerable (true with most teams but especially true with the 9ers style)

I don't get why people think they're unbeatable

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah the 49ers rarely blow anyone out. Most their wins are 1 possession games.

If we are to beat them we will NEED a turnover, or a return TD. Our offense wont put up more than 13 points so we need to find another 7 elsewhere. I think if we score 17 or more we have a good chance of walking away with a win.

With that said....49ers 17, Jets 13.

Mark cant make any mistakes, period.

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

If Keller plays it will be HUGE.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

We have to force them to pass. When they pass whenever they choose, they picked you apart.

19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

The single most interesting part of this game is to see if the Jet's new safeties can beat up Davis and slow him down. Of course it sucks that Revis is gone so it might not be an even playing field but thats what Ill be watching. If they can stop Davis, we have a chance. If Davis has a day like most good TEs have against us, we are in a LOT of trouble.

20. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

This is a hard game for us to win, because I think we have problems with QBs that can dink and dunk you to death. While Cro is a good guy on pure go routes, I think his weakness is the inside curl routes, and the same with Wilson. The 49ers aren't really a chuck it down the field team, so our defense actually plays to their strengths. Also, our LBs run like they have a parachute attached, so it's not like they are going to prevent those types of routes as well.

I think the 49ers score atleast 20 in this game, because they can run the ball, and play those short routes to keep drives alive. The only way they don't, is if we somehow start rushing the passer witout blitzing or Alex Smith remembers that he's Alex Smith.

On Offense, not looking that great either. Having Keller back will help, but I doubt Shonne Green is going anywhere against this defense, so hopefully Powell steps up. I don't have much faith in Holmes against Rogers, since the 49ers will game plan on taking him out, especially with Hill out. Keller can help, but not sure how healthy he is.

I just don't have a good feeling about this game. The matchups just seem wrong. Hopefully we can win and get some confidence, but it seems unlikely.