2012 Week 4 - New York Jets vs. San Francisco 49'ers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

There isnt a team i fear more then the 49ers. not so much saying they are the best team in football, but matchup wise for us, you couldnt pick a worse opponent. they play the same game we do, only they are infinitely better at it.

-they run the ball extremely well. ground and pound only super effective. gore and hunter are a tough duo and we have struggled with the run.

-they have a game manager qb who manages the game well, is extremely consistent and can make throws when needed

-they have an excellent tight end, who causes problems for the best isnide defenders, let alone ours

-their run defense is one of, if not the best in football.

-aldon smith is one of the best pass rusher in the game, and they get at it all over the field.

basically they run it, dont turn it over, stop the run, make you one dimensional, and make ligfe tough for your qb. we could honestly play our best and still lose this game.

2. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

i think we're all forgetting the re-emergence of holmes and the protection sanchez gets now. holmes pissed me off a lot last season, and he was about to drive me crazy last game but he got his act and finally sanchez and holmes seem to trust each other a little more and established him as the 1st and go-to receiver, and no one else. I think that helps the qb more than anything else

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Keller Keller Keller Keller!

We need him back ASAP

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I think SF is one of those teams that losing Revis won't be a huge difference unless we expect him to cover tight ends. SF's WRs are nothing special, so it's really about stopping Gore and Davis on the defensive side. With the way the run defense is and the Jets inability to stop TEs, that's what scares me most.

5. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

A couple of interesting stats regarding this game:

The 49ers are 26th in passing, so the absence of Revis won't be felt as much as it would against a better passing team.

Another interesting stat is that San Fran has let up 10 sacks so far while the Jets have let up only 3. I think our D will get to Smith in this game.

Basically the Jets are a bit better in passing while the 49ers are better with the run. If the Jets can somehow limit the run and get to Smith we can win this game. If the Jets can get off to a 3-1 start that will give them some breathing room for the passing teams to follow (Houston/Patriots). This is a pretty critical game for the Jets, because it will prove they can still win without Revis and still puts them on track to hit the break at like 4-4 or possibly 5-3.

6. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

They will still run on us, we wont get anything done against that D. Our only hope is that the cross country trip affects them, and Alex Smith shits the bed

7. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Yep.

If we can force Smith into mistakes, we have a slight chance. Otherwise we're done.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Don't let total yardage stats fool you. The 49ers can throw the ball when they want to. They are really good passing the ball on 3rd down (16/22 - 72.7%) and inside the Red Zone (Inside 20 5/7 3 TDs --- Inside 10 3/3 2 TDs).

9. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

The Niners didn't return to the WC after the Minnesota game. They're at a training facility in Ohio, so there will be NO cross country trip.

10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

The reason Minnesota beat the 49ers?

Pass rush and a running game.

We have neither ATM.

Better find one by Sunday, especially with no Revis. Michael Crabtree can make plays and although Cromartie will be on him, we can't stop the TE and Vernon Davis is Smith's favorite target, not to mention Mario Manningham on Kyle Wilson scares the daylight out of me and then when Moss comes into the game, who's on him? Cromartie, leaving Crabtree for Wilson, or Wilson, which would be a huge mismatch.

11. jerseyjay14

the jets arent better at passing then the 49ers. they just had a huge game against the bills and it skews a small 3 game sample.

Smith just broke the 49ers record for most passes without an int. not montana, not young. the guy knows what his team needs, and thats to protect the football.

smith is completing 70 percent of his passes. he ahs 5TDs to 1 int.

we are completing 50 percent of our passes.

they do everything we want to do, and they do it better.

12. jerseyjay14

he might be the best in the league at limiting mistakes/turnovers.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Also, in general, I think our offense has a "big-play" ability that it just didn't possess last season. Even when we don't complete them, it's so nice to see Mark chucking the ball more than 10 yards down the field on a consistent basis.

I think the key to this game is our run defense. There is not a single facet of our game that I have been more disappointed with than our run defense. If we are going to beat SF, we need to do what Rex Ryan defenses almost always do: stop the run.

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

nah, we have made more big plays in the passing game than they have, and I would argue that is a direct result of the fact that we have more big play threats on offense. Also, Mark makes significantly more mistakes than Alex Smith, but he also has more physical talent and can make more big throws down the field.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I contribute that to good coaching. Before Harbaugh Alex Smith was a bust. Sanchez has 3 picks this year but only 1 of them was an awful decision. The other 2 were from lack of familiarity with his receivers. I think not having Keller is a bigger problem than many here realize.

16. jerseyjay14

this is just complete hogwash.

1) its 3 games into the year. a horrible sample size for who has more "big play potential". look back to last year, especially in the playoffs, they make plenty of big plays

2) we dont have more big play threats. in fact, im not sure we have ANY big play threats. that have much more talent at skill positions. Gore is better then anyone we have. davis and crabtree are both excellent players

3) we dont try to be a "big play" offense. we are ground and pound plus defense, and they are infitely better at that then we are.

4) how strong you are physically doesnt matter. look at cutler. great arm, turnover machine. alex smith wont beat himself and makes a lot of plays for them to boot.

17. jerseyjay14

there is plenty more sample besides the first 3 games of this season to think that sanchez is shaky protecting the ball. he has certainly improved, but to suggest alex smith is infinetly better at protecting the ball and managing the game is simple wrong.

beyond the turnovers, sanchez is completeting 20% less of his passes compared to smith. that factors in to time possesions, moving the changes, and scoring. whether its sanchez fault or not, that issues is unlikely to just turn around.

they are better then us at everything we want to do, and in some cases, much better. they are the worst matchup in the league for us, and even with revis, we had a small chance of winning

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

We throw down the field a ton more. That will bring your completion % down as will the ridiculous numbers of drops. Hill has 0 catches the last 2 weeks after around 10 targets probably more than 10. That and using Cumberland instead of Keller has hurt his completion % a lot. Powell had a bad drop with a ton of running room.

His accuracy has been better than his numbers would suggest. I'm hoping coming back home will give us the Sanchez we saw at home in week 1 more than the last 2 weeks though.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Shut down their running game and make them beat us through the air. We need a noisy crowd.

Hopefully we got some turnovers.

Don’t panic if it’s a low scoring game. We probably wont be able to run but don’t get too crazy passing and cause Mark to lose it for us. We need to game manage this win. Dink and dunk.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He completes 70% of his passes because teams play the run and it opens up the pass big time for them. The fact that they only got past the 10 yard line 3 times in 3 games speaks volumes however. We need a plan against Frank Gore. The rest is easily in our favor on D. As far as offense goes, it will be a tough test for Sanchez. We need Keller bad if we want to win. I feel that he is key.

#60 Barcs, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012