2012 Week 4 - New York Jets vs. San Francisco 49'ers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Somehow hoping we split the next two games with SF and HOU.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with splitting those two games. That would leave us at 3-2 going up against the Colts, which is a winnable game. I've said before I'd be happy going into the bye at 4-4. So if we can split those two games we'd only need on win between the Colts, Pats and Dolphins. Which sounds very possible. Otherwise we'd need to win two of those three games and while that's not impossible it is obviously tougher. That being said, I think we can beat both the Phins and the Colts and think we can split the series with the Pats.

3. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Member

We're supposed to have a tough time with SF, Hou and NE, and supposed to beat the Colts and Dolphins; that leaves us at 4-4 at the bye/midpoint. There always seem to be games we're meant to lose, that we win -- and vice versa. If we cut out that game lost we should have won we'd be ahead of the game (but I'm not counting on it!).

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

We can definitely win this game. I expect a low scoring game. In fact, it's very possible it can just be a kicking battle if our defense holds up to Rex's reputation.

The key is to make sure we cover Vernon Davis. That guy has big play written all over him. As long as Mark Sanchez stays protected, I like our chances.

5. Chrebet Fo' Ever

I think a lot of posters are underrating Alex Smith, while he's had a pretty crumby career the Niners were in a constant state of turmoil and Smith had a new OC every year with lousy receivers.

Ever since Harbaugh came in he's been a different guy who rarely turns the ball over, a good thing to have for an elite D like the '9ers. We'll have our hands full, especially with Vernon Davis vs our LBs/S's

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Not really underrating, but realizing that he isn't the main point of his team .He is good but he isn't asked to do too much. You have to stop Frank Gore and Davis more than you have to stop Smith.

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Powell needs to start. Hopefully Keller can comeback healthy and maybe we can get some sort of pass rush. No Revis, don't like our chances.

8. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I don't like our chances. Our WRs are way too shitty. Every other team's WRs bail out their QB, but when you have a QB like ours and the WRs just give up on plays ALL THE FUCKING TIME and or drop the ball, it makes shit really hard for us against teams like SF. We'll see what happens though, maybe our fucking offense will wake up for once and our receivers will get their heads out of their asses.

9. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

San Francisco is coming in like a woman scorned and unless we get a Christmas miracle in late September, Darrelle Revis will be out and probably out for the season. Their defense is insane and while I love Jeremy Kerley, he's no Percy Harvin and they have no AP to respect in the backfield.

I don't like our chances one bit.

10. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Keller needs to return and Powell needs to start. If the offense start rolling which they showed they can do, we win this game. Revis or no Revis...

#30 mute, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Moss isn't their no. 1 target. Of their WR's it's Crabtree. Where they completely own us is that we don't have someone who can cover Vernon Davis.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Regarding the SF being pissed off thing... the Jets should be equally pissed about how poorly they played.

If the Jets allow themselves to be pushed around because SF is mad about losing to the Nords, then they are a bunch of pussies and deserve to get the shit kicked out of them. The 49ers are a better team and very well may win... but if this Jets team has backbone then they're going to punch right back and make the 49ers bleed to walk out of the Meadowlands with a W.

Seriously, the 49ers are good but the Jets are not out of their league. Jets need to show up looking at this game as a boxing match ready to take the gloves off.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sanchez needs to play much, much better against the Niners for us to come out with a win. He was lucky not to have a few more turnovers in that game yesterday.

14. xxedge72x

The whole entire team needs to play better. With the exception of the special teams every grouping of players on the team did their part to try to get Miami the W.

Mark was miserable but I'll at least give him credit for hanging in there. It wasn't all on him. The team as a whole has problems right now.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I agree, and I think special teams helped too with the Eric Smith penalty.

I do give him credit for hanging in and playing well at the end to get us the win, but if he plays better throughout the game we're never in that spot.

16. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

The best defense in football in terms of run defense and QB pressure, a tough RB, top TE, and a somewhat mobile QB who doesn't make mistakes, and a solid yet overrated WR core. A recipe for disaster for the Jets. They need to force Smith into making mistakes and they needed to stop Davis. The only thing we have going for us is they're coming here from across the country. I say 20-7 Niners but if
    the Jets win it'll be lower scoring than the Dolphins game, something like 17-16

17. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Member

I guess the point is that it's harder to motivate the team that way after having just scraped out a win rather than suffering a humiliating loss. Certainly the Jets should rightly feel sick when they go over the film but nothing creates the same urgency as coming off a loss in a game you should have won.

18. xxedge72x

Making the playoffs and having a shot at the trophy should be motivation enough for the Jets to show up and give it their all every single week.

The whole fearing the angry 49er thing is just defeatist in general.

19. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Member

In theory, absolutely. These guys are human though and we can plainly see that teams don't always come in every week with the same intensity or focus. It's just difficult for people to keep up a maximum level of intensity all the time.

That being said...

I'd definitely agree that this angry opponent thing can get taken too far.

20. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I'd rather be playing them right now than the Pats, that's for sure.