My Tebow tale of woe ..or "how Tanny and Rex fooled everybody"

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by CowboysFan, Sep 17, 2012.

1. reverseapachemaster

Wrong. The Jets had just acquired a back up before the Tebow trade.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, the Jets had to trade the backup they'd just signed at the cost of 500k cap space in order to bring Tebow here. It was a classic error on their part.

3. Br4d

A cynic would suggest that the Jets are waiting for Tebow to ask for a position change to get a bigger role in the offense. The problem is that a) Tebow isn't going to do that and b) the offensive personnel aren't good enough to keep Sanchez on the field reliably at this point.

It's just such a mess, which is par for the course with the Jets.

You should have been here when Favre was going south. It felt like only the Jets could screw this up and they were going full-tilt to achieve that result.

Then they draft the raw QB and throw him out on the field right away.

It's just such a mess with this team, always.

4. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I don't think people are complaining about him not getting enough time. I think people are pointing out the inconsistency in the message from Rex Ryan that he will get 10-20 plays a game. I don't care if he plays one snap per game. I just don't think he should be playing punt protector as a QB2. Get better as a QB, not a PP/WR/RB/FB/TE. That's all I'm saying.

Get yourself ready to take over in case of an injury to QB1 or a personnel change.

5. JFjets

JFjets New Member

My guess is that Kyle Orton spent a lot of time thinking exactly that in Denver last year....until he got benched for poor performance.

If, over the next 4-5 weeks, Sanchez plays more like the Sanchez of last night (and of old) than the Sanchez of week 1, anyone who thinks they wouldn't sit him and put Tebow in is smoking something good. John Fox wanted nothing more than to keep Orton as the starter in Denver, but there came a point when Fox just looked completely idiotic not giving Tebow a try, the way Orton was stinking up the place. I'm not convinced Rex is as committed to Sanchez as Fox was to Orton last year, so time will tell how much poor play gets Sanchez the hook. I doubt it would happen all at once, like it did in Denver last year, as Fox barely ever had Tebow on the field in those first 5 games until he just couldn't take Orton's suck any more. If Sanchez doesn't rebound and good from yesterday's performance, I think we're going to be seeing more and more of Tebow in each successive game. If he does well and Sanchez doesn't, well.....Rex has spent more time talking up Tebow - by far - than Fox ever did in Denver. For him to pull Mark for poor performance and put Tebow in - especially if Tebow has been playing well in his "wildcat" role - won't be a big surprise, not to me anyway.

6. JFjets

JFjets New Member

My guess is the word "calculation" is more likely to be the case. If all they wanted was a "back-up QB", they were fine just keeping Stanton. Clearly, they have bigger plans for Tebow than just "back-up QB".

7. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Oh, sorry. I thought you were just using terms loosely. I was focusing on the "super secret" part. My bad.

So you're saying that there is a "super secret" part, not just a vanilla zone read play or wildcat, it's just not a spread option.

The point of this thread is that the whole idea of a "secret" thing that we haven't seen before is bull. That it was never there. So your post, in that context, seemed to mean "there was never a secret part, this is it. This is all there is."

But you mean you believe Rex, Tony, and the media reports that there is something special and secret.

8. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Can you recall how many times Rex has talked about how they have more of a dual threat with Tebow than with Brad Smith in the "wildcat" because Tebow can throw? I don't know the number, but it's a bunch. I don't know that their plans for him include the "spread option" in the strict sense of the phrase (if there is such a thing), but you don't know that it doesn't, either. Clearly, the threat of him passing isn't much good unless he actually passes some, eh?

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

And they got a late pick for their troubles.

It's not like they signed Aaron Rodgers to back up Mark, it was Drew Stanton.

10. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Yesterday showed me what Rex intends. Tim having success in a game is Rex's worst nightmare.

11. Br4d

It's going to be interesting to watch. Rex and Sparano know they can't win a lot with Tebow and Woody wants him anyway.

And yes, you're right. Having his hand forced by either Tebow or Sanchez is Rex's worst nightmare (well other than Darrelle Revis going to get cozy with Bill Belichik after next season.)

12. catsigater

catsigater New Member

One big difference between the Denver and NY situations, though, is that in Denver, Tebow was the only QB under contract after 2011.

Orton was playing badly, the season was lost, and Elway figured they'd throw Tebow out there, he'd lose and they'd be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Also, no matter what happened last year, Fox was coming back.

Barring injury, if the Jets are starting Tebow and Tebow doesn't win, it's over for Ryan.

13. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Why try to read anything into what we've seen so far ? Just let the season play out.

14. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

You mean we're not getting paid for this? Wut?

15. JFjets

JFjets New Member

lol, where did you come up with that little factoid? That is what John Fox and Elway thought last year when they were sitting at 1-4 and threw Tebow in, hoping he would tank the team and they would get Andrew Luck in the draft. It didn't go exactly according to plan for them, but they were fortunate that Peyton Manning was available.

Somehow I doubt that you are correct, considering that Tebow beat both Rex and Sparano last year. In fact, I think that at least 1/4 of the head coaches in the NFL last year (if not more) would disagree with you.

Very possible the same situation would play out if Sanchez doesn't win, either.

16. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I've had time to digest this, and I think it's based on emotion. But I won't try to read your mind, or diagnose you.

I'll stick to my take on it -- I reject this line of thinking entirely.

17. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

On the bright side, the Broncs are getting their asses kicked by the Falcons. Sadly I don't have enough posts to start a thread on that. Don't you love how the Broncs signed a couple of Peyton's former teammates on the offense, when they traded away Brandon Lloyd when Tebow started? I hope to God the Jets aren't going to shit on us too.

18. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

Hey GoldenShowers. ..

Spraying a chocolate shower your way

19. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

This makes sense

Your post makes sense and thanks for reminding me its only been 2 regular season games.

20. catsigater

catsigater New Member

That wasn't what I was addressing, but yes, it is.