Our Linebacking corps....slow motion..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Sep 17, 2012.

1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Is there a slower more ineffective bunch of Lb's in the NFL than our current crop? This is an area we should have addressed in FA ...as again its all overload blitzes etc leaving the secondary exposed fro crossing routes etc as the lbs cannot beat their man 1 on 1.

Pace since his first year has been a colossal waste of cash , cannot rush the passer and runs with concrete boots on in coverage. Overpaid and as ineffective as an olb can be in his last two years

Scott was okay first two years but for a run stopper again he is ridiculously overpaid and very much on the downturn. I understand he contributed with his personna but we got the Ray Lewis Lite but paid full strength price

Harris is a younger version of Scott which would be great if he had playmakers alongside him ...but he doesn't and at $12m on the cap next year is another overpaid. However there is no doubting IF the jets can get a more fluid ilb alongside him we will have a good tandem

Thomas....how this guy has not been upgraded in the last 4 years is beyond i think anyone on this board. Can just about set the edge but thats it..zero pass rush moves and not frightening against the pass

Maybin...is he still on the roster? We know he can rush the passer on 3rd down but so does every offense....his one dimensional nature make the likelihood of him repeating last years surprising sack numbers unlikely in my view

Davis...I think he is in the Witness protection program , was likened to Ray Lewis for his leadership skills and on the field savvy play....he must be lighting it up somewhere as another Jets draft pick contributes nothing early on...

Mcintyre...a bright spot in that he clearly has an engine but is undersized or seems tolack that strength at the point of attack and disapperared from the game after the first series. Can contribute in rotation but is purely that..not a starter

Mauga...see mcintyre except he hasnt made an impact...

Slow in coverage , unable to rush the passer in 1st / 2nd down mode . This LB core is where our defense comes unstuck in my view as the over compensation of the blitz packages exposes our secondary unfairly.

2. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Harris is the only good one but he is a total liability in coverage and is slow as balls. The rest of them are useless.

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

McIntyre looked good yesterday. The rest look like they were in quicksand.

4. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Where is Maybin? I do not think hes recorded a tackle or sack yet. We were expecting at least some push from him.

5. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

2013 Draft:
    1st Round OLB
    2nd Rd. OLB
    3-7 All Guards/linemen

The sad thing is, there are probably people on this board who think Coples is our Pass Rusher.

6. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Sadly, I fully agree with the OP. I thought it was very clear even on the Steelers' first possession that they were able to get to the edge at will and rack up big gains. Our D looked pretty stout up the middle but when they ran plays to the outside we just had nobody fast enough to get out there and seal the edge before the ball carrier turned the corner and headed up field. Same goes for covering TEs/RBs - nobody can hang, they're just too slow.

I thought Scott played with a lot of intensity yesterday and there were a few times that he almost came away with big plays but just couldn't make the tackle. The rest of the LBs didn't even register on the radar - Maybin in particular has been really disappointing so far as I was in the camp who thought he would be a real factor this season and he's done zero through the first two games. This whole unit is going to have to be rebuilt in the off season.

Did Davis even play yesterday? I don't remember noticing him at all.

7. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

Pace and Harris(who i love) look like snails out there, especially when they have to drop in coverage

8. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I simply cannot believe that any 3-4 hybrid defense can go in to a new season with such an impotent set of Linebackers...it really is scary roster management. All of this has come about becauseofback loading these deals and then ridiculously guaranteeing Pace and Scott their salaries thus reducing our flexibility ref the roster.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

hey that was the iternary for the 2012 draft as well ;)

10. mute

mute Well-Known Member

But Harris has FiOS.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

3-4's live and die with their linebackers.

Since Rex got here we've spent a lot of value in the secondary and on the line. Watching the Jets unable to shut down opponents when they need to is the price we've paid for that. 3-4's live and die with their linebackers.

And yeah I get that the Jets were in 4-3 a lot yesterday but they didn't have particularly good 4-3 personnel on the field either. Because 4-3's with big, slow linebackers have real issues. 4-3's with big gap-filling linemen who cannot rush the passer have problems.

It's going to be fascinating to see if Rex can make the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 this year without having linebackers well suited to either scheme. Obviously he's going to have to get Pouha and Devito off the field more often to make this work because they're 3-4 linemen not 4-3.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Pace had an excellent game against Buffalo, and was not bad yesterday. I can't understand the hate he gets from some here.

Meanwhile this kid McIntyre was the one bright shining light in yesterday's game. The replay on that play the Jets threw the red flag on to get a forced fumble in fact showed McIntyre had dropped the RB for a loss. Some great sticks, too. That's encouraging.

Maybin? Meh. I have given up expecting an immediate contribution from him.

Scott I would love to say still has it, but every game I think that is less and less the case.

And Harris is a liability in pass coverage.

But hte Pace hate I don't get, and at least McIntyre looked good yesterday.

13. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Bart Scott is terrible. He should have been let go after last season. Rex is allowing his loyalty to a favorite player, color his judgment about his roster spot.

14. Br4d

No Rex's hands are tied because Scott's entire salary is guaranteed. A move made by a cap genius to free up some cap space in 2011 because he wanted to try to sign another CB for Rex.

15. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Good point, but even if it's Tanny's poor decision that kept him on the roster, Rex is still the one who is starting him. He needs to let Davis, or one of the other kids, start taking Scott's playing time.

16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Embarrassing. No way around it. Can't cover, can't tackle, no ball skills, slow as poopie.

17. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

Aging linebacking corps. None of them are what they used to be. Even Harris looks especially slow out there, but then again he's never been one to cover ground quickly. It's something the Jets are going to have to live with for a while. The good news is the front three or four are going to hide quite a few weaknesses of the backers.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Is there a chance we can improve the lb position this year or not? I feel without adding some sure tacklers that have sufficient speed we are in for a mediocre season.
    Yesterday's game showed a glaring weakness, with or without Revis. Teams like the Pats, Houston, SF, GB and others could literally torch us over and over in the middle.

19. Br4d

This is an 8-8 team. The sooner we all get that the better because the noise level will go down a lot as the expectations move towards the reality.

Hopefully the Jets don't make any flashy trades for post-prime vets near the trading deadline to boost the year. Those trades always come back to haunt the team a year or two down the road, both cap-wise and in terms of depth.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

:rofl::rofl:

Unbelievable.

I just watched every play that Pace was on the field, and aside from two almost-pressures (both resulted in first down passes), and one pretty decent open field tackle on a dump off to Pitt's equally-slow fullback (2QTR 6:42), he spent the plays that he wasn't in a contain role alternating between running slowly behind the ball carrier, being blocked out of plays (many times by runningbacks and fullbacks), and floating in zone coverage while reacting too slowly to the pass when it went near his zone.

Pace was such a non-factor in this game it was ridiculous. (Oh yeah, I forgot he also made a couple of arm-tackle attempts that were effortlessly shed by the runner.) He made the other 3 plays (1 solo and 2 assists) by the runner coming straight at him.

His pursuit skills are gone, if he ever had them. And he is now pretty mediocre at shedding blocks. He almost seemed to be avoiding contact when chasing a lot of times, too.

I guess that's what we're calling 'not bad' these days. He was less of a factor in this game than Bart Scott, and Bart stunk the joint up most of the day. I guess Calvin Pace is the Big Blocker's lost cause of 2012. Always gotta have a Mascot of Suck to defend each year.