Timmons Hit on Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedgreenIII, Sep 16, 2012.

1. jlee499

jlee499 Member

AGREED! After that first drive we played like it was amateur hour. Our receivers weren't able to catch balls thrown right to them or Sanchez was throwing way too high. I am not a Tebow fan (am a McElroy fan), but if Sanchez was hurt after that Timmons hit, he should have been sat down... and at least tried someone different. I know a lot is riding on Sanchez becoming the elite QB that Tanny and Rex say he has the potential to be, but 'Damn', pull him if he is not performing.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

QB's take those types of hits on a weekly basis. At the end of the day, the analysis of this loss is, the offense didn't execute, the defense couldn't get off the field, and we fucked up on special teams.

It was a bad game, it sucked, we lost in a stadium that we've only won in once over the course of franchise history...

Let's move on...Really nothing to analyze IMO.

My pure reaction is "oh well, next!"

3. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Dude, you are so wrong it's not even funny. Watch the replay again. Dude probably was playing with a concussion the rest of the game.

4. TurkJetFan

I'd like to see a link for the hit, I can't find it anywhere.

From what I saw he got hit hard, but the guy you quoted is right. QB's take these types of hits, it is what it is and it's no excuse for a poor performance.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I disagree on QBs taking hits like that all the time. I am not saying that's why we lost but he was a completely different player after that hit.

6. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

No, actually QBs don't take those types of hits on a regular basis. That was a premeditated kill shot by Timmons. He had a least 1-2 steps after Mark threw the ball to redirect the focus of his hit. Even if he didn't hit Mark in the helmet it was going to be a late hit. Even worse than just a late hit, he launched himself in an upward motion while using the crown of his helmet to target Mark's head. Had Sanchez not put his helmut down slightly before impact, he probably ends up with a broken jaw and a severe concussion.

These players are professional and outstanding at what they do. You can't on one hand be a superb athelete with outstanding coordination to make these fabulous plays yet on another not be able to control your tackling because the game "moves too fast" when you get caught with a cheap shot. Had this been Manning, Brady, Brees, etc, there would be a huge outcry from media and the league. The only way to stop these types of horrendous hits is with player ejections and subsequent suspensions - you do that a couple of times and it will send a message.

7. TurkJetFan

you are saying that's why we lost.

you're saying our QB was a different player after the hit, in a game in which we lost. If he wasn't a different player then we probably would have won.

I refuse to use Sanchez taking a hard hit as a reason his play regressed over the course of a game.

8. TurkJetFan

So Alex Smith last night, who took hits while on the ground after sliding and getting a bloody nose, surely should have regressed following that type of contact.

Wait no, he threw the game winning touchdown instead and maintained mistake free drives.

Sorry, but every week QB's take hits like that which garner flags in games. They don't revert into a shell.

The bottom line is Sanchez took a lick, whether legal or not, his play suffered afterwards. But I'm not going to sit here and say that's why his play suffered. Just not going to do it.

9. nyjunc

he was a different player and it contributed to the loss but our D was soundly beaten all game so I can't pin it on that play.

I think he had a concussion or close to it. This wasn't a blindside shot, it was a violent hit helmet to the side of Mark's helmet.

10. nyjunc

now Alex Smith is better than mark? seriously? please stop.

11. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Please don't put words in my mouth or revise my posts. There are two different issues here - the hit and the explanation for Mark and the team's play afterwards.

I addressed the hit and my belief is that QBs do not suffer those types of egregious head shots on a regular basis. You disagree and that is fine.

As for Sanchez's play afterwards, there were multiple things at play:

First, Sanchez took a big hit and that always rattles a QB. Did he have enough time to recover? Yes, but the coaching staff could have helped out be giving him so easy throws to get back in to rhythm.

Second, after the first couple of drives Pittsburgh's defense adjusted by having the DBs come up and jam the WRs and play more physical. The Jets offense did not counter until later in the game and by that point they were too far behind. That is on Sparano not making adjustments and on the WRs for not beating their man.

Third, the WRs/TEs did not show up yesterday. Mark actually played quite well if you look at the game tape. He did miss a couple of throws but alot of those misses were due to poor route running (Kerley missed a huge play that looked like a Sanchez overthrow - it wasn't as Kerley did not adjust his route and run up field), no situational awareness (Cumberland on that 3rd down play), and at least a half-dozen + pass drops (Holmes being the biggest perpetrator). Sanchez moved quite well in the pocket (didn't have his usual frenetic happy feet when under pressure) and hit the right reads. Alot of his balls were right on the hands of the WRs who had a hard time getting separation or handling pretty darn accurate passes.

Finally, the LB defense stunk. They had at least 8 sack opportunities which they blew and they looked painfully slow in coverage. They couldn't get off the fields on 3rd downs which is all on them. Harris can only be used 1st/2nd down and in 3rd down as a blitzer or in run situations. He doesn't have the speed to cover. Scott is done and was a disaster again yesterday after a poor Buffalo game. His only hit this year of note was when he kicked Revis in the head. Pace is running in quicksand and really lost a step this year with no explosiveness.

The Jets should stick with McIntyre and put Davis in as well. I am willing to accept the missed assignments of young players in exchange for the energy and speed. If the Jets moved Harris to the Scott position of blowing blockers and start Davis they will get more effective play and be able to have a speedy LB presence able to defend the middle of the field and RBs out of the backfield.

The secondary play was actually not all that bad when you factor in that Ben had all that time in the world running around back there. If you leave a QB enough time it doesn't matter how great your coverage is in the secondary as the WRs will eventually get open.

It is easy to pin point the loss of Sanchez after the hit. The bottom-line is that a critical analysis of the game shows that this an oversimplified explanation. The Jets were in that game and had an opportunity to win. A mistake in ST (Kerley's fumble), WRs drops and poor tackling led to the defeat. These mistakes are all fixable and it is early in the season.

12. nyjunc

This wasn't a dirty hit?
    [​IMG]

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Im seriously concerned that Mark might have a concussion.

14. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

Timmons has his head and shoulder down. Watch the little half jump from Sanchez to the side on the behind view. He jumps and lowers his head slightly and there is contact.

Again he eases up and flips the ball at the last second. This USED to be called "sacrificing the body" to make a pass. I guess the QB should be labeled untouchable now.

In the past, Harrison clearly launches himself off his feet, head first into people. He's changed his ways in terms of that. That's a dirty hit and even Steelers fans will admit it.

Coincidental helmet contact like this is not.

15. SteelCurtain96

Maybe someone can explain how you can lead with your shoulder instead of your head when your shoulders are further back on the body?

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Come on SC. Timmons launched himself head first at Sanchez. Spearing is illegal no matter where he hits the QB and he happened to spear Mark in the helmet. He will most likely be receiving a fine from this hit (which will be the 4th time Sanchez has received a fineable hit against him in the last 18 games).

17. SteelCurtain96

Ben takes hits like this all the time, but that's okay because he's a "rapist" right?

18. nyjunc

he leads w/ his helmet, if Sanchez doesn't sidestep a bit he gets an even worse hit to the helmet. It was a dirty hit and he will be fined for it.

19. nyjunc

show us the proof of that? did we do that yesterday? did it change the game at all?

20. SteelCurtain96

Aren't you taught to get low for a tackle? How else can you get low unleless your head is low too? Show me where he leaves his feet and launches himself? His feet never leave the ground until he actually hits into Sanchez.

Again watch Sanchez flip the ball away and take a step or two to the left. THAT'S When the helmets collide. Otherwise Timmons hits him in the shoulder.