I'll Admit, the Tebow Coverage is Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Backup QB, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Bannon

Bannon New Member

The argument is incomplete -- are you saying we should accept Colin Kaepernick as an example of someone who is clearly not an NFL quarterback? He was drafted only 10 positions later than Tebow, the third quarterback taken, occupies the #2 QB position on a very good team, and by all accounts is still considered viable.

For your argument to be complete, he would need to have done those numbers -- the "looked good" part of your statement, in a pistol offense designed for him -- and then not actually "be" good. Because you advanced the example to support the unstated assertion "to look good is not to be good, if the offense has been tailored to your strengths."

I'd be fine if people considered Tebow to have the same shot, and deserving of the same respect and chance to develop, as Colin Kaepernik.

2. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

It is not a valid argument because most QBs are placed in systems that are built for them. It is doubly invalid because Tebow played well in Denver's system last year which was supposed to have been tailor made to his skill set, but actually wasn't anything like what he ran at UF.

3. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

I wasnt putting a value on Kaepernick's career, my point (not well made I guess) was being a system QB isnt a bad thing. If anyone brings up the offense at Florida being the best offense for Tebow (hence his stellar play) they get the inevitable, thats BS response, I was pointing out as well that college success (a flawed argument FOR nfl success) may have to do more with the team and its offensive system than the QB running it.

By the way, I think Colin can actually be a good to very good QB in the league. My wife is a niners fan so we watched them in the pre-season and he looked really good in his game in Denver and had a very nice preseason all around. 25/39 (64.1%) 2 TDs passing (1 running) and zero int/fumble for a 104 rating.

4. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

you confuse winning and having some exciting moments with playing well. I will readily accept he has a ton of upside and he is fun to watch but at his chosen position he is worse than average at this point. If you look it up im pretty sure he was ranked in the bottom 5 or so at his position in the league. I think its 27th? or around there. That means 26 QB rated higher than him. Now if the league had 300 teams that aint to shabby, but it only has 32. Meaning only 5 starting qb's had worse statistical years.

5. ItsTime

ItsTime Banned

Do yourself a favor and stop, you are embarassing yourself. You know nothing of what you speak. Tebow played undermanned defenses in college? My silly little friend he played in the SEC, the defenses he dominated are filling up NFL starting defense rosters and the defensive side at the Pro Bowl. Colin Kapernick? he played at Nevada , vs a bunch of nobodies.

6. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

First three things, I'm neither silly, little or your friend. So what your saying is in every game in the SEC Tebow played 11 NFL players? Oh wait that cant be true because nobody in the history of college FB has sent all 11 defensive players to NFL. So lets work the numbers shall we?

Since he played in 06 and the draft was in 07 for that year lets start there. so in 2007-2010 drafts these SEC teams with vaunted defenses sent this many defensive players to the pros:

Tennessee: 07 (4) 08 (1) 09 (1) 10 (2)
    Vanderbilt: 07 (0) 08 (1) 09 (1) 10 (1)
    South Carolina: 07 (2) 08 (2) 09 (3) 10 (2)
    Kentucky: 07 (0) 08 (0) 09 (1) 10 (2)
    Georgia: 07 (3) (1) (3) 10 (5)
    Bama: 07 (1) 08 (0) 09 (2) 10 (6) --- now that was a great defense!
    Auburn: 07 (2) 08 (4) 09 (2) 10 (1)
    M-State: 07 (1) 08/09 (0) 10 (1)
    Arkansas: 07 (4) 08 (1) 09/10 (0)
    Ole Miss: 07 (2) 08 (0) 09/10 (2)
    LSU: 07 (2) 08 (3) 09 (3) 10 (2)

Uh-OH somone's point has been made... and for the record my silly little friend its me. Tebow played good college defenses that usually had 2 NFL caliber players on it. So yes, he was playing teams that were outmatched. Much like your wits against mine.

Oh and by the way the entire 2012 AFC PRO Bowl defense had 3 SEC guys on it. 2 of which (harrison and bailey) played well before Tebow was even in college. And Miami had just as many by themselves as the entire SEC.

So oops.. you see you cant just make stuff up. thats called lying. and we have this thing called the internet where the facts can be found and the facts are as I stated them. Tebow played outmatched defenses every time he stepped on the field.

7. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

He also played with a bunch of nobodies. Tim played with many guys that went to the NFL either via the draft or UFA. Kaepernick... i think played with one thats on a roster somewhere.

8. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I won't argue with you over last year in Denver because I agree that his performance is open to interpretation. I think he made lemonade with lemons considering John Fox's atrocious offense supposedly designed for Tebow but was really designed for Tommie Frazier.

But you completely ignored the main point which was, your argument is not valid because most QBs who have success play in systems that are built to their strengths. Tebow is not unique in that respect.

9. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Jetsetter, while Itstime was not very diplomatic in his response to you, his point was absolutely correct. It is much harder to get stats and dominate the SEC than in any other football conference. On average, the defenses are bigger , more talented, and faster.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

But so are the offenses.. especially Florida's offense under Urb. The talent Tebow played with on offense far exceeded that of anyone else's in the country and overmatched defenses.

Colin Kaepernick who was (is?) very good and played with much less, could've had the same, or similar successes as Tebow with that team.

11. Bannon

Bannon New Member

And . . . . . is Colin Kaepernick, NFL QB, terrible?

12. mrmahon

mrmahon New Member

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I have no idea. He may or may not be. But the point is that he doesn't have a league of followers defending him at all costs and claiming he isn't a terrible QB...(he did have a better preseason)

He also is being used in a role Tebow is and doesn't have people claiming he shouldn't be.

14. phaytal

phaytal New Member

I'm quite positive that Jetsetter raped this entire thread.

Fun fact: The ratio of players drafted in the first round that go on to make the Pro Bowl, is higher for both the Big East, and the ACC, as compared to the SEC.

15. ItsTime

ItsTime Banned

Thanks for proving my point for my, my silly little compadre. Your research shows the SEC defenses Tebow crushed filled up the NFL. Now go do you homework and compare it to the defenses That Colin Kapernickle faced. And where did you see that I stated all 11 players from the D's he faced went to the pros? you confused little boy. Now go do your homework and get back to me for another lesson.

16. phaytal

phaytal New Member

The level of your stupidity is reaching critical mass.

The SEC barely holds the lead in defensive starters despite being coined the end-all-be-all of college defenses. Week one starters as of 2010 (most recent report I could find):

SEC: 74
    ACC: 68
    Big 10: 59
    Big 12: 51
    Pac-10: 32
    Big East: 26
    Mountain West: 15
    Conference USA: 8

The SEC hardly 'filled up' the NFL's defenses. Guess what? The SEC produced the most starting offensive players as well.

What you fail to see is that Tebow's teams were so good, that just about any quality quarterback could have won National Championships on those teams. In the draft after Tebow won his first National Championship, 9 Gators were drafted by NFL teams, and 2 players made it on teams as walk ons. 11 Gators joined the NFL in 2007. That is 1/2 of the team. Think about that for a second; Half of the 2006 Florida Gators made it to the NFL. It was ridiculous how much talent that team had on both sides of the ball, but mainly the offensive side.

Now run along and play while the grown-ups talk.

#96 phaytal, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  17. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

The best "team" usually wins the National Championship... It's a team sport.

I know you don't like Tebow, but to say any QB could just walk in there and win a National Championship is purely speculation.

As long as you caveat your statement with "I believe" that any quality QB could have won, etc... then I'd say ok, fine your opinion. But to act as though it is fact is hyperbole.

I'd concede that a QB like RG3 or Cam Newton would have thrived at UF on those teams and would probably have won a NC. I don't think any "quality" QB would have won. It still would have taken a special QB with great athletic ability as well as passing ability.

#97 Backup QB, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  18. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Fair point. And by no means am I taking anything away from what Tebow did at Florida. It was very special. But he was far from the lone reason for that program's success, as some seem to believe.

19. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

[​IMG]

20. boston_jet

boston_jet New Member

yes, yes it is