2012 Week 2 New York Jets vs Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

I'm sure many in Pitt see this game equally as revenging with the last year Tebow Time antics.

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

as scary as this sounds, this is the game Tebow is going to be allowed to throw. My guess is that Tebow will be brought in for 3rd and short situations. If the Steelers D are hugging the line, expect a pass to Kerley or Holmes for medium yardage.

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Would be hilarious if game ends up with the Jets scoring a last second TD to make the score 35-34 Pitt, then Rex sends Tebow in for a 2pt conversion with no time on the clock and he powers into the end zone to win the game :)

That or the Jets are down by 4 with 25 seconds left. It's 4th and 2 on the Pitt 9 yard line. Tebow scrambles for a first down. Sanchez comes back in and throws a fade to Hill for the game winner.

Either one would be hilariously awesome.

4. reverseapachemaster

But highly, highly unlikely.

5. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

We didnt miss Keller too much in game one. But hopefully he is ready to go. Sanchez does love that target.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

a little too much,though. I love that Sanchez has a security blanket in Keller, but Sanchez tends to stare down his receivers far too much . . . Keller in particular.

7. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

I think this is the game we see what our pass rush is capable of. Denver made life for Ben miserable, sacking him 5 times, twice by Von Miller. If Mendenhall is out again, they might not be able to run the football. It all depends on what we do when we have the football because the Steelers still have a very formidable defense. Jets win 16-10 if they do win

8. JerseyFrasca

JerseyFrasca New Member

I think it comes down to the secondary in terms of coverage and pressure. I think the jets get pressure cuz of the weak Pitt OL, but it's bad news if when they get to Ben they don't finish the play. Have these visions of blitzing DBs falling off his shoulders as he throws off balanced to some asshole who is wide open cuz he's been running his route for 7seconds.

9. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but still, would be funny as hell if Tebow has a pivotal role in beating them again. :D

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. First and foremost, take a huge grain (or nugget) of salt when you review Steelers' performance in Denver. I believe I've been saying this for some time but let me reiterate again; if any east team has an away game at Denver, they would do very well to pack their bags and leave on Wednesday or Thursday - and get acclimated to the Mile High air. It will take minimum three days for human body to get acclimated to the change in atmospheric pressure, so unless you intend to lose, you need to allow your players to get acclimated to Mile High. If you don't - you are giving that much advantage to Broncos from the get-go.

2. That said, Steelers offense looked dangerous to me. They just refused to get off the field. If Jets D cannot stop that trend, it will be a very long day - especially in Pittsburgh.

3. Manning could spot Polamalu cheating easily, because Steelers defense didn't have Ryan Clark at the secondary and James Harrison at the LB. Polamalu was that linchpin on the defense, and Peyton didn't miss that. It won't be that easy when Sanchez visits Heinz field this coming week.

My head tells me Jets will probably lose, but my heart says Jets still have a good shot. I don't know what to say, really.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd love to add some intelligent football knowledge to this thread, but that requires thinking.

I'm just gonna wait until I hear what Skip Bayless has to say.

And then go with the exact opposite.

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I believe they sacked him 3 times on the final drive though. So without the two score cushion they had 2 sacks all game.

Ryan Clark being able to play will allow Troy to roam free. The last time we played the Steelers, 2010, I believe Sanchez was able to stay away from Troy twice.

When Peyton ran the hurry up they were able to get some great drives out of that. However it is Peyton in Mile High air.

I'm definitely worried because everyone on the Steelers, especially Ben, were making the first guys miss when tackling. The Jets need to wrap Ben up immediately when they get to him. Keep him in the pocket and force him to make a quick read and throw. Don't let him get time to scramble and let everyone run around.

Also, Heath Miller. Gonna have a field day.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

My head tells me we won't win this game also, but if we can wear down those Steeler linebackers and make plays in the secondary we can come away from Pittsburgh with a W

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

You pretty much nailed it here. The Steelers offense has plenty of weapons. I think Heath Miller will be a matchup nightmare for us. Roethlisberger goes to him often. I think Cromartie should be lined up on Wallace as Wallace is the type of reciever Cromartie does well against (and factoring in Revis being a question mark). Their OL may be suspect but that is negated by Roethlisberger's ability to extend plays. Mendenhall is supposed to be back this week. What that does for their running game is a question mark.

15. agilic

agilic Member

This is a big, big game in terms of playoff implications in my opinion. Looking at the divisions, it seems a really good AFC team is going to get left out this year. There's the Jets, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Texans, Broncos, and Chargers. Not enough spots for all 7. If we can pull this game out and get an early 2.5 game lead on one of the main competitors, that would be enormous, especially with how much our schedule lightens the 2nd half of the year.

16. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

I think this is the year age finally catches up with the steelers D. Yeah, people said that last year (and it looked true in the beginning) but seriously, when all your marquee players on that side of the ball are 32 or older with a ton of mileage....something has to give.

I think that playoff game in denver last year was the beginning of the end for that defense. They didn't have Harrison or Clark, and playing in Denver is miserable for an opposing team especially against Peyton, so i'm trying not to read *too much* into that...but i think they're a vastly overrated team this year.

that said, playing in pittsburgh sucks. especially a steelers team coming off a loss. i could see this going either way.

we have 5 legitimate "tough" games this season. @pittsburgh, vs San fran, vs Houston, @ New England, vs New England. If we can go 3-2 or even 2-3 in those games, i think that would be considered a success. winnign this game would certainly go a long way towards that

#116 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

The Pitt D is still good but it is definitely aging. I think the age factor and the fact that they can't stay healthy in the trenches on either side of the ball. Their O line is all messed up and their front 7 has been hurt a lot. If Mendenhall misses this game it will be huge for us. No Mendenhall and Revis plays and I like our chances a lot better than I did a week ago. We will be able to sit back and play a lot of coverage. We should be able to get to Ben with rushing 4 or 5 with the way their O line looks.

18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

When you look at our schedule, I knd of scratch my head. How does a team that missed the playofs have one of the hardest schedules? This game is HUGE as others have pointed out, because of its late season playoff implications for BOTH teams.

Clark, Harrison, Mendenhall should all be a go for the home opener. I am also concerned that the outside speed they have (Brown, Wallace, Sanders) will open up the middle for Heath Miller. We do counter with some talent (Revis, if healthy, Cro, Wilson, Landry, Bell). This will be a close game and may come down to the last few posessions. This is what NFL football is all about, GO JETS!

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I mean, it's more that we beat ourselves that game with the putrid 1st Half performance we showed.

20. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Agreed, Wallace's value is as a deep threat and Cromartie can run and play the ball in the air with anyone. Assuming that Revis plays, he'd be more valuable covering Brown.