Stevie Johnson shut down.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Milliner is your Mommy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. feldspar

feldspar Member

You are correct, my friend.

Revis is the best corner in the league. We all know this. But Stevie has done OK against him (or better than others) because he is a great route runner and he's got some moves. He's also familiar with Revis by virtue of being in the same division.

Doing well against Revis is a whole different category, though. Good numbers against Revis ain't real good numbers. Stevie is the only guy to score a TD against him last year, and Stevie did OK.

If Revis goes down ever, you guys might appreciate a little more...if you don't already. He allows the best receiver on the other team to not really be a factor, and that's HUGE.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

If you are hurt you dont play, no excuses

3. feldspar

feldspar Member

LOL, beautiful. Real nice and very easy thing to say.

On the other hand, if Stevie didn't play, you got somebody that doesn't stand a chance facing Revis. This is basically true. You put Stevie in there, and he takes REVIS out of the game, and our 2nd and 3rd receivers have a better chance against other corners that aren't super-heroes.

Do you understand that? It's not as easy as you say. Would you stack Donald Jones against Revis?

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

point is dont use him being hurt and getting shut down as an excuse, Revis shut him down no ifs ands or buts

5. feldspar

feldspar Member

But if he was hurt, then that's a fact, no? If it's a fact, then it's a REASON and not an excuse, right?

Here is a harmless analogy: if you throw up after drinking too much, do you use drinking too much as an EXCUSE for throwing up?

It's cause and effect. Natural phenomenon.

That being said, how much Stevie was hurt is anybody's guess. When you don't practice the Thursday before the game, that says something, I would think. Guy was questionable.

6. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I don't think that's a good analogy, because of the result after Revis left the game.

More apt one would be say, a pacifier on a baby who has a sore throat. The entire time the pacifier was in the baby's mouth, the baby was silent. As soon as the pacifier was out, the baby was crying and yelling. You can't for certain say the pacifier wasn't the one causing the baby to be quiet, but rather it was the sore throat. As soon as the pacifier was out, then the sore throat should have prevented the baby from crying, which wasn't the case.

I doubt Johnson was running around all day without doing anything, but his hamstring suddenly felt better as soon as Revis was out of the game. The simple fact was that he was shut down by Revis, which is nothing to be ashamed of.

If he was just a decoy, he would've been just a decoy once Revis left as well, which wasn't the case.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No, it's not, players play injured all the time.

Jason Witten looked like a shell of himself playing with an injured spleen the other night. It wasn't because he sucked at playing football.

Matt Slauson played most of the year with a torn shoulder in 2011, and it affected his play and also Brick's.

Mark Sanchez suffered a pinched nerve that affected his throwing shoulder for the second half of last season. It was obvious.

Those aren't excuses, those are facts.

8. feldspar

feldspar Member

LOL, you tryin to fuck me up?

The way I remember it, once the pacifier was out, nobody even bothered to cover Johnson. He was all alone. That's a fact. A freakin' linebacker tried to cover him, got turned around, and did a piss-poor job entirely. Johnson was alone and that catch was a gimme. I'm talking about the TD.

He was shut down by Revis. This is a fact. But, like you allude to, there is no telling how much Stevie's reported injury played in. You can't say that it didn't...baby's pacifier or no.

The Bills sucked all day, but I didn't know it was on a pacifier. LOL.

#48 feldspar, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They can't comprehend any point, once they think they hear "Revis sucks" they cannot get passed it.

No one in here was saying Revis didn't shut the guy down. No one in here was saying Revis sucks. No one in here was saying Johnson would have had 9 catches for 200 + yards and 3 scores.

But my point was to the OP and Turk, saying Revis owned an injured player is stupid. Stating the obvious...

Furthermore you are an idiot if you believe that if you are on the field, you are 100% and it doesn't affect your play.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Uhh no he didn't...Revis was injured PRIOR to the play and AGGRAVATED it during the play.

Hamstring and groin injuries affect players in two profoundly different ways.

You cannot run with a bad hamstring, you can run with a bad groin. If you F*ck your hamstring up badly, you are leaving the game. If you F*ck your groin up badly, you can still run chicken wing routes.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Another point I couldn't agree with more, I was also trying to emphasize.

Good against Revis in relation to overall "good" are two entirely different things.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lmao Bills said 100 yards on Revis

13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

you obviously don't get it...you are using his groin as a crutch...somehow when revis leaves the game for the 4th quarter steve johnson scores a td on a nice looking play...but then you tell me you know the exact nature of steve's groin injury and explain to me how he can run certain routes...if that's the case why didn't they run it against revis? or did they try to? ridiculous.

just stop...your argument reeks of being a whiny fool and its absolutely ridiculous.

steve johnson was stranded on revis island...this is a fact.
    steve johnson scored a nice td once revis left the game, looking good to me....this is a fact.

there's no shame in being shut down by revis island, it happens every week. but dont sit here and tell me its because steve had a bad groin...because it's not only ludacris its a sour grapes argument..

just move on and be thankful he doesnt have to face revis again until week 17.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

^ You are deficient in reading comprehension.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

and you are apparently deficient in common sense.

16. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

They played a zone defense on that play, LB protecting against the inside route, but the safety over the top didn't come over because of the other WR on the far right, which was why he was open. But he then made a nice cut inside, and then one towards the end zone, so he was plenty mobile. The catch itself wasn't that hard, but the moves he made after were.

Lol, well he said he was atleast 90% healed 4 days before the game. So you figure, at worst he was at 90-95%.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Revis is so damn good that averaging 70 something yards a game last yr was considered owning revis.

The media tried to push this notion and revis laughed.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Say what? Stevie Johnson's (or other WRs)purpose is not to take an opposing corner back out of the game. It's to gain yards and help score points. REVIS and other CBs job is precisely to take the WR out of the game, not the other way around. Revis did his job. :lol: at claiming Stevie Johnson is contributing by taking Revis out of the game!!!

Revis shut down Johnson. He was expected to, just like he is expected to shut down anybody, CJ included. The only reason this is even a thread is because everyone was talking crap before the game about Johnson owning Revis. Don't make excuses for Johnson lol. Revis would have shut him down, regardless.

Seriously what type of fans do we have here, making excuses for the other team? A little desperate to find negatives I see.

#58 Barcs, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Revis owned Stevie. Did it help that Stevie wasn't 100% of course. But after some Bills fans claiming Stevie was going to get 100 yards AGAIN even though he never had a 100 yards before, this was nice to see. Nobody on the Bills side ever acknowledged last year the gameplan for Revis and the Jets was to keep Stevie in front of them and when Stevie caught some passes last year a lot were on 3rd down and short of the marker.

So yes Revis owned Stevie and probably would have done so with Stevie at 100%. The way Fitz was throwing, Stevie would have had more catches wearing a Jets jersey on offense.

20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

johnson said he was 90% before the game ... maybe he re-aggravated his groin but he still got shut down