Some post game thoughts.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by laxin, Sep 9, 2012.

1. feldspar

feldspar Member

So do you think that Sanchez should be taken out every time they get in the redzone or wherever? Even if you don't gain a yard and that's a wasted play?

Then the very next play he is bound to score a TD?

C'mon, now. Yeah, I do think that's a coincidence.

2. feldspar

feldspar Member

Fantastic picture, bro.

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

That's true. Then again, next game, Sanchez might go 10/11 with 4 TDs immediately after Tebow runs a WC play.

Point is, we have first hand evidence right now that would suggest that Tebow coming in didn't disturb Sanchez's "rhythm", nor did it affect his ability to throw the ball.

Just for sake of clarity, here is Sanchez's complete stat line for every pass he attempted today immediately after Tebow took a direct snap: 4 of 5 for 61 yards, an avg of 12.2 ypa, with 2 TDs.

4. Demosthenes9

Nope. I think Sanchez should be taken out whenever Sparano feels that Tebow should go in.

Here's a quote from Sparano that might be of interest:

This week, perhaps Tebow was sent in to run a play while Sanchez came over to talk about what Sparano wanted to do next. Would explain why he was in on 1st and 10 from Buffalo's 16 and 1st and 10 from Buffalo's 36.

5. feldspar

feldspar Member

OK, thanks for the info about what Sporano said. I'm not being sarcastic...although I think that he would be foolish to give up his gameplan to other teams that easily. Don't you?

A timeout should not cost a play, either. And it seems like what they do next should depend on what happens on the play Tebow was in there too, right?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but why would they tell everyone what they are doing. The whole point of putting Tebow in there is to keep them guessing, in a way. This reporting could be deliberate misdirection for all we know. I think that might be smart. They are all secret agents.

Anyway, and again, it's week one. Tebow in the Wildcat is one thing you know you'll hear about all year long. We'll see what happens.

6. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

One of few negatives I saw, besides not going for 1st down on 4th & 1; Was OLB position. No pass-rush. Jets need 2 new faster OLB's. Pace & Thomas are too slow. Upgrading these 2 positions would send Jets' defense to elite level. #51 Maybin has to get more snaps. Jets have to draft 2 OLB's next draft & re-sign there safeties.:beer:

7. Demosthenes9

Even if you know that Tebow is in at QB, you don't actually know what he's going to be doing. Run ? Pass ? Read Option ? Speed Option ? Double Option ? Yada, yada, yada. What they did today was "the tip of the iceberg" to quote Sanchez.

As to "wasted plays", I don't see how they were wasted as all but 1 gained positive yardage.

BTW, just to be clear, I definitely don't think that this is the extent of the use of the WC. It's just one of the things it is useful for.

8. feldspar

feldspar Member

Well, if you instruct your team to treat those plays as "extra timeouts," what does that tell you about the value of those plays? Sporano said that? Strange thing to say.

Also, I'm not a fan of the Wildcat. I think it breaks up the rhythm of the offense...and it's just kinda dumb. Sporano ran it in Miami, but the ball was hiked to a guy that was in the game the whole time bascially, Ronnie Brown. And Ricky Williams was back there quite a bit, too. That was when it saw the most success, and I don't think it will see that level again in the NFL. This is only my opinion. I dislike the thing. You didn't really have a guy come in cold off the bench to run one play there.

But if any actual QB is geared toward this, it's probably Tebow. To me, Tebow is an Option QB, which will not work in the NFL. It could work sometimes on certain plays, but not in the long-run.

9. Demosthenes9

Not the entire team, just Sanchez. It's not strange at all when you really think about it. Sparano sees something that the Bills were doing. Instead of calling a timeout and talking to Sanchez, he sends Tebow in to run a play. Sanchez comes out and talks to Sparano. All this done without wasting a time out.

Again, wrt the "rhythm" thing, Sanchez was 4 of 5 for 61 yards, an avg of 12.2 ypa, with 2 TDs on passing plays immediately following a WC play by Tebow. If that's breaking someone's rhythm, then they should do it as often as possible.

As for the viability of the WC, we can discuss that to no end. Thing is, I think Sparano has much more planned than what they ran down in Miami. As for the Option, there's absolutely no reason that it can't work in the NFL, but both of these topics are best reserved for their own threads.

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Running game in the game did fine I think. Buffalo is huge on the front four and they are healthier and faster than in year past. I think run defense will be a strength for the bills all year. Greene, once bast for the wave, is tough to bring down, but not many holes against the bills for that.

Chris Johnson had 4 yards, the Panthers had 10 as a team - so some high powered runners didn't impress. I think Greene will never scare anyone, but if they can open some holes he can avg over 4YPC.

11. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Nah, it was Rex's knees. And the thing with Spiller...it was all in garbage time. So he looked great, but I can't take it that seriously yet. I wish him the best against NE.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

A few things ...

Regarding the wildcat and tempo: The announcers kept complaining about it screwing with Sanchez but it didn't seem to have any actual effect. Most of the wildcat stuff was done in the first half, when we put up 27 points. Clearly, it wasn't a problem! These guys are clowns and probably don't think about the shit that spews out of there mouths most of the time.

Regarding Tebow in the huddle and the other team knowing it's a run: There were several plays where we had both Tebow and Sanchez in the huddle so I don't know if that's really a concern. If they send in a heavy run D package because they see Tebow coming in the game Sanchez can still pass. Win.

Regarding our run defense: The Bills kept running the ball when they were down 155 points. I'd have to look at what defensive packages we were in to be sure, but my guess is that they hit us with some pass packages in. Good for them - they racked up a bunch of rushing yards when they should have been passing.

13. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

My assumption also ,..Jets playing pass, guys going for the ball, arm tackling...just not the same intensity up 30pts. Rex didn't mention it in his post game speech and was pissed about it. Look for that to change going forward if they get big leads again.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We will need the Wildcat at some point this year. I like the rhythm though

15. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Hands down the best game Mark Sanchez has played, baring circumstances and all, in his career. Really, really impressive and shut me and some of his other doubters up for awhile. Thought this was a 9 or 10 win team heading into yesterday, now I'm thinking 11 wins isn't out of the question.

If LaRon Landry stays healthy, it will be between the Jets, 49ers and Texans for the best defense in football.

This team is good and Buffalo is a joke as long as Ryan Fitzslantpass is under center.

16. mrmahon

mrmahon New Member

Hey they played BETTER then most people thought they would. Some small quirks but they will iron them out in the weeks to come, I believe. Not that we are going to WIN every game, but the dismil way they were playing during the pre-season sure seemed to go away

#36 mrmahon, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  17. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Biggest WOW of the game? Offensive line. Gave up ZERO sacks. Everyone just saw what Sanchez can do with some time. The JETS got bashed all off season. Hometown radio was killing us - especially the offense. What this O-Line just did has to be the biggest improvement and adjustment thus far. I believe they are the key to how far the JETS go. Lets not overlook the fact that many of these "analysts" had the JETS going 7-9 this year and put the Bills ahead of with their revamped defense. Give the O-Line a lot of credit.

Sanchez needs to take the entire O-Line out for dinner now. And hope

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I don't see how Mark handing the ball off is any different than Tebow running the wildcat. Both are run plays. If the wildcat ruins his rhythm because he's not throwing the ball for a play than why is it different than handing off to Greene.

19. Demosthenes9

It isn't. :)

It's similar to when people say "you don't take the ball out of your starting QBs hands in the Red Zone", even though you do that very thing every time you kick a FG, or hand the ball off on a running play.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I have a comment and questions about the running game with regards to Greene. Greene is more of a straight ahead runner than an outside/finesse runner. Is it possible that the strategy with him is to run hard up the middle and pound the heck out of the defenders and not fumble? If he was trying to make moves, find the hole, etc, wouldn't that increase the chances of him fumbling? The Jets aren't looking for big runs from him, just the dependable 3 yards each time. If he gets big yards on a run, it will be towards the end of a game when the defenders are worn out and tired of taking a pounding when trying to tackle him.

What do you think?

Update:
    (I just found out that Greene fumbled, not once, but twice! Well, please answer my post assuming he won't be fumbling anymore. I know, that's a big assumption.)

#40 dmw, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012