Some post game thoughts.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by laxin, Sep 9, 2012.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

First off, Mark. Fuckin great. Silence all those critics... a good majority were on here. He had great protection, great playcalling and the receivers got open. See what happens? Great things.

My Quarterback.

- OL played great. No sacks against a very good front 7 and Austin Howard (from what I saw from my seats) did a very good job on Mario (who is one of most freakish athletes I have ever seen in person- he made teshard choice look like a child while walking off the field).

-WR's got separation and it was nice to see Hill and Kerley play the way they did; lets hope they continue to grow.

- Defense... well they are who we thought they were. I was disappointed in them at the end though, and we might have a problem with speedy backs.

Now onto the major subject I wanted to post about... The run game.

Shonn Greene. Well, he isnt that good. I dont know if it was a combination of holes not being big enough (may have to rewatch the game) or just him being average. 3.5 yards a carry against a defense who most thought there run defense was the weakness is pretty bad. Especially when we consider ourselves a "Ground n Pound" team.

We see teams with multiple RBs all around the league that would probably do better with the amount of carries he got. Cant help but cringe inside seeing someone like Ben Tate just sit on a bench behind the best RB in the league/

I also understand he got a lot of work when the Bills were expecting a run, but still disappointing.

This also has dragged throughout the preseason so its not like the run game had a hiccup tonight... And having Spiller put up a performance like that doesnt help in comparison.

Well, this was my first game and it was fucking awesome. Cant wait for many more! Here's to a great game :beer:

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

How bout that punter 51.0 yard average. Haven't seen that around Jets Land in years. I would prefer more days like this when he only punts twice but good to know he can boom one if the Jets are deep.

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Seriously. Theres so many good things the Jets turned around late. The Jets fell ass backwards into gold with getting Howard who looked amazing to fill in for Hunter. We just went from having the worst RT in football to someone who isn't just average but has actually looked good.

Then we take our awful punter and replace him with someone who has looked really good too. Its 1 game and I know nothing about him and really it was just a couple punts but still. Great to see.

5 biggest issues I had this offseason were Pass Rush, RT, RB, Safety, Punter. 4 of those look to be fixed I just hope Greene can get it together

No sacks today but got good pressure Fitz just gets rid of the ball so fast. The sacks will come. Landry looked awesome and Bell played well. Howard was amazing. Punter was good.

If we get a run game going this team will be legit.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Lots of good things and very few negatives
    A) Sanchez ...enough said. He was the man
    B) great play by wide receivers and TE in general
    C) Very good kicking and punting( yes I said it finally)
    D) good special team play overall
    E) super play by our secondary
    F) defense, especially the LB group was a little soft in coverage particularly against the run. I thought that was our number one weakness in otherwise a very strong game.
    G) good pressures but no sacks
    H) it was apparent that we are still missing the explosive change of pace back to supplement Green
    I) all in all a hell of a victory. Well done Jets

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez was great fun to watch. The best moment of the day in my opinion was after that ridiculous flip that went off of Cumberland's hands for a pick. Last year he goes to the bench hanging his head and we get a shot of him a few minutes later looking down. This year he trots over to the bench and immediately picks up a play card and starts looking at it.

I'm not going to get too down on the RB's and the LB's yet. It's hard to tell what all of this means when the opponent is the Bills, who are obviously still a work in progress.

6. The Zman

The Zman New Member

The wildcat must die, total waste of a play when it's run. Put teblow on the bench where he belongs, or let him play TE if he can catch, just keep him away from under center.

7. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

I agree I think we gain nothing from it and it will eventually become a momentum killer for Sanchez.

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The only way it's ever going to be an effective counter-offense, is if we occasionally let Tebow run Play-action passes from it. (Otherwise, every time the defense sees Tebow running into the huddle, it's like an announcement saying "We are going to run the ball now") And the problem with that, naturally, is that we would be purposefully and consciously letting one of the most inaccurate passers in league history throw passes for us. Unless Sanchez is really struggling, thanks, but NO THANKS.

9. Section316

Section316 Active Member

I feel it can be useful in short yardage situations on days the Jets are struggling to move the ball. Not every day theyre going to trot down the field when it's empty. In a game where the Jets are south of 200 yards against a good defense, and 3 yards feels like 10, it can help keep drives going. A day like today? No point whatsoever. There was no reason for Sanchez to ever be off the field today. All Tebow's plays today amounted to nothing different than handing it off to the half back up the middle, only with no threat of Sanchez reading the D, audible-ing out of it, and completing a pass if necessary.

And god forbid if Sanchez is having a game like today, and the drive ends with him on the sideline and Tebow throwing a pick. The Wildcat should be buried deep in the playbook when Sanchez is rolling. Line Tebow up at TE 3 or 4 times if you want to get him involved.

10. feldspar

feldspar Member

I think the biggest thought you should take away is not to get carried away with what happened in week 1. The season is long. The Jets dominated the Bills, sure, but don't read too much into that. It's natural for some fans to do that, but if the team does that, they'll let up a bit and be in store for a rude awakening.

Yeah, I'm a Bills fan. I suggest you be a little measured about this game. The Bills beat the Chiefs 41-7 in game one last year. They were 5-2. Then they shat the bed. They were 5-1 a couple of years before that...then they shat the bed. I'm not saying it'll happen with the Jets, but this is just one game. Do not expect the Jets to dominate like this every week.

Outside of stopping CJ Spiller, I can't see how this game could have gone better for you guys. Enjoy it, but if you are going to be optimistic, do it cautiously. You guys looked like the best team in the league this week, but don't think that you are yet. Don't assume that this is indicative of what will happen all season.

I say this as your friend and brother. Only difference between us is that you root for a different team, but that's just a wrinkle.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Honestly if Sanchez is gonna just hand it off the Greene for 2 or 3 yards I rather Tebow get into his shit formation and at least confuse the D and get a potentially big play

12. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Sanchez looked excellent today, throws seemed to have a bit more zip to them, and he seemed more certain of where to throw the ball. All the years prior, I felt like he was in the pocket just looking around to see who was open, and then reacting to who got open, thus giving the defense time to recover, or the pocket to collapse. Today, instead of reactionary, I think he was aggressive and anticipated where WRs would get open much better. I'm guessing this could be because of the change from the complicated crap that Schotty ran to the simplified ones that Sporano runs. I thought of today as to how anyone learns to play video games on Madden. When you first get it, you have no idea which plays will work or how the routes are run exactly, so you just run the play and look around (usually ends in bad results). But once you find some plays that you are comfortable with, you know how to hit those WRs in stride, because you know they are about to get separation even though they don't appear to have it at the moment.

Shonn Greene wasn't really that impressive. As good as our passing game was today, he should've have gotten more yards. I know his totals don't look that bad, but he just doesn't look explosive at all. He runs more like a FB than a RB. I'm honestly surprised when he run for more than 5 yards. I'd try and see if Powell can play a bit more.

WRs looked good, all three of them had good games. Add in a healthy Keller, and it could be a real strength for us, if Sanchez has made a step up in his play. Hill is a pure monster, and a matchup nightmare.

Tebow didn't look that great, but I do like the wrinkle effect on the game. I think eventually Tebow will pass out of the wildcat, but they didn't really need to take that chance today. I believe they wanted to establish the wildcat running today, and were probably going to open up the passing atleast once or twice, but by the time the run was established, we already had a big enough lead that they decided to just save it.

The kicking looked good. Was it me, or did Folk get a bit extra on the kick offs? I remember even last year, he seemed to barely get into the endzone at best on his kickoffs.

The run defense was mediocre today, and I think the defense relaxed a bit too much in the game. The Bills are a hard team to sack, because they get the ball out so quickly, so I'm not quite as concerned about the lack of pressure yet.

Austin Howard was good, but my god, how bad is Wayne Hunter? This guy was basically jobless a month ago, and he looks infinite times better than Hunter. I believe he worked at the same grocery chain in Iowa as Kurt Warner, so maybe he can be the Kurt Warner of RG, lol. I'm not expecting him to be a stud, but I do have to say that I'm very pleased by his play today.

13. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

What if the breathers Sanchez got actually settled him down? Or gave him more time to analyze an upcoming play?

Because of the offensive explosion it makes no sense to change anything going into next week. Also Sanchez was 4 of 5 with 2 TDs after Tebow plays . Leave it alone for now .

#13 CowboysFan, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  14. feldspar

feldspar Member

Nah, the Wildcat bullshit was just that...bullshit...in this game at least. It never worked or accomplished anything. Sanchez never displayed any signs of needing to be settled down in this game. Sanchez helps get his team in the redzone, then they take him out on second down only to try to run up the middle withe Tebow, gaining zero yards. Then Sanchez comes back in for third down. That's actually gotta be extremely distracting to him.

But every week isn't going to go the way this one did. Funny to see Tebow get booed, to me at least. If you got a plan and identity, then stick with it. There are plenty of ways to win or lose.

15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Intill Sanchez can prove he isnt a rhythm passer (something those here have claimed) taking him out for 2 yard runs via Tebow cant be a good idea.

Loved a lot from today.

But hated how we played against Spiller. Too fast. Need better OLB's, not a shocker.

16. feldspar

feldspar Member

If you really want me to be honest, the best play of the game was when the Bills knocked Rex's ass into the turf. That was pretty cool.

Go easy, cuz as a Bills fan, this is all I got.

Spiller did look good though.

17. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

#17 Donttasemebro, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  18. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Kind of strange to see that considering that Sanchez threw 2 TD passes immediately after Tebow ran a WC play. "Immediately", meaning, the very next play.

19. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Its one game, against the Bills.

20. kleckotheman

kleckotheman Member

My observations....

Just like after a bad loss there are silver linings, I like looking at the things we need to improve on after a big win. Not a negative view, just a realistic look at how we can be even better.

1. Pass rush - I realize the quick trigger Bills offense is difficult to sack, but I did not hear Maybin's or Coples' names names at all regarding pressure. If the other team is going no-huddle and pass only from way behind, then besides running around and chasing them, we should be blasting their QB to let them know the danger of not just sitting on the ball. I'd like to see a better pass rush. Worried Maybin is falling back into his non-factor role. let's give it a little more time and see.

2. RB - Greene is a grind it our guy with no explosion. We need more explosion. Spillers looked like that for the Bills. Maybe Powell. Don't know. Maybe McKnight. But we need that. Also, if Greene is going to get the carries, and no explosion,. then he simply CANNOT put the ball on the ground. He did that twice. Clear fumbles. The fact we didn't lose either possession is immaterial. If he starts fumbling, we need a new starting RB.

3. Middle of the field coverage. Our safeties will make every receiver pay for catching stuff, but we have to cover better as LB's. Too much space for TE/RB to operate. Davis did not see the field other than ST. He has been slow to learn. He needs to step it up as we need his speed on the field.

4. Run defense was soft but that was least concerning as Pouha's absence was noticeable. If someone tells me he will be out for a significant amount of time, then this becomes a far greater issue.