iphone 5

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by bigalxc, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

LMFBO!!! :rofl:

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Verizon and AT&T capped data for new customers.

Being an AT&T customer for years, I am grandfathered in to continue receiving unlimited data.

I was actually pricing out a Verizon plan because I get a discount through work, their service plans are still ridiculously high. I anticipate with the LTE service, I would probably need the 4GB plan because I would stream video/audio a lot more in remote locations, and the plan with a discount is 98$.

I pay a lot less on AT&T with my discount and with unlimited data.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Ah yeah I'm grandfathered in too but if I wanted the iPhone I still would have only gotten 2 gb of data. I tether off the 4g connection every now and then so I use about 10 gb of data a month

4. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

it depends on whether your contract is expiring or not. Obviously it'll be cheaper for you if your due for an upgrade or not.

5. Drew

Drew Active Member

I've been in need of new iPhone since March. I've held out for the 5. My home button hardly works, phone lags, I've had enough.

Of course I'll be on vacation on launch day.

I have AT&T. I pay $99 a month. No unlimited data. I'm debating switching to Sprint for the unlimited data.. is it really shitty?

6. SJ13WhatIsland?

SJ13WhatIsland? New Member

My equipment upgrade was 9/1/12. I'm gonna wait a month or so and let the techies tell me if I should get the 5 or GalaxyIIIs.

Still rocking the verizon iPhone4 with unlimited, love the phone, but the battery has been cycled too many times. I don't even get a day anymore.

7. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I have my Iphone 4s on Sprint's network, and I don't really find much fault with it at all. I used to be a Verizon customer, but their prices got pretty high, and since I have a family plan, the savings were pretty significant over a 2 year period for 3 phones. I believe it came out to about $1500 over the course of 2 years, for similar plans. Now I switched before they capped data. And since I have an Iphone, I don't know what 4G speeds are like, since I only get 3g on it. But connection wise, I've never had a problem with Sprint, either for actual calls or browsing or streaming. It's obviously not as fast as wifi, but I think it's pretty decent. Verizon is most likely better, but the difference isn't worth hundreds of dollars IMO. I'd much rather be able to spend that money elsewhere than for the negligible gain you get from Verizon. Now Verizon and AT&T are ahead on the 4G race, but Sprint should catch up pretty soon, I believe by early 2013, pretty much their entire network would be 4G capable.

But I think networks itself tend to be over-rated (which by admission is why most of these carriers are going towards capped data usage, because a very small amount of smart phone users actually go over these caps). Most of the time, you are either going to be at home or at work with your phone, and both places most likely provide you with Wifi access. You aren't going to be streaming much while driving. A lot of stores, restaurants, etc offer free wifi now as well, so the actual time that you are on your network for data is pretty limited. Most of your data goes on wifi, or atleast that has been the case for me.

I've never tried AT&T (well I did actually, but that was when brick cell phones were cool, and multiple ringtones were about the only option there was on your phone) so I can't really comment on them.

To me, the money spent over an unlimited account (or now a high cap number account for Verizon) just didn't justify the product over the course of two years. However, the new Iphone should utilize 4G, so we'll know more about each of these companies 4G capabilities as the Iphone rolls out.

8. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I really like Sprint a lot Drew. Not just because I have a discount with them from work. The service is great everywhere I go. The internet is more reliable then my DSL line. The Sprint call quality is a lot better then Tmobile who I used to have. I've had Sprint now for almost 4 years and couldn't be happier.

9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Android does everything that iphone does better and more. :grin:

10. june19

june19 Active Member

Samsung galaxy s3 is very tempting,let see.

11. Drew

Drew Active Member

Pre-orders go live tomorrow.. hopefully I can snag one. Does anyone know if they let you do in-store pickup?

12. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I'm hoping to jump on that myself. The malls will surely be mobbed for it.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I've ordered both of mine via internet pre-order.

It will be delivered the day its available to the public to buy in stores. Apple's estimated ship date is always shorter than they tell you.

Just have yours delivered to work and you will be good to go.

Also, pre-orders open @ 12:01 AM Friday.

EDIT: Delivery is contingent upon when you get your pre-order in. Apple ships in waves, so if they have 3,000,000 units available to ship for 8-21, and your order is #3,100,00 yours will be delivered in the next wave which typically is the following week.

Though they have been really good at pre-dicting how many units they will need. I got my retina display iPad order in later and it still got to me the day it was out.

#33 GQMartin, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  14. Bill Belidouche

Yeah, and it also lags and breaks down every other minute since the apps and hardware aren't optimized for the operating system.

I used to have a droid and I finally had to give it up because it kept freezing for no apparent reason when my car broke down and I had to make an emergency call to AAA to get it towed. Apparently my phone couldn't handle the arduous task of going through a touchtone menu for roadside assistance. That exact day, while my car was getting fixed, I went to the ATT store and bought an iPhone. One of the best decisions ever.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

^^ To the above, I heard this: If you like to customize your phone and have full control, Android. If you are already int he Apple ecosystem and want to pick up and use, Iphone. Also heard the new Windows 8 phone is nice.

16. Bill Belidouche

Good point. I value efficiency and simple interface over customization so the iPhone makes perfect sense.

17. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I had a windows phone before I got an Iphone, and my god was it terrible. This was last year, but windows was just crap. No real apps at all, unbelievably lagging, and the phones used to suck. I'm guessing they improved, but that was such a bad experience that I've sworn off windows phones forever, lol.

The one thing that I really liked about the Galaxy S III (in a review video) was that, when you set the alarm, and it goes off, you can just yell "STOP" and the alarm will turn off. I thought that was pretty cool. And the facial recognition feature as well. I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year and a half, but the more and more I read about the galaxy S, just looks like a better phone.

Although, on the other hand, I think Android is a bit overhyped. Their "Siri for Android" app isn't anywhere near an intuitive, and has some speech recognition problems.

18. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

I was surprised to find I was eligible for an upgrade... so I ordered one.

64GB White.

19. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

October 1st is my eligilibity date I'm getting the 16 gig Black

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Ordered 32G black.

To be delivered on 21st. Had to wake my ass up at 3AM.