Coples vs Glenn

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, Sep 2, 2012.

1. SecondHandJets

Now that WFH is in STL, I'm pretty sure that 31 fan bases would take the Jets OL over the Bills.

Eric Wood on par with Mangold? Maybe Hollie Mangold... if her wrist doesn't heal.

Next you'll be comparing Gilmore to Revis and calling that a wash. GTFO.

2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

when? last year? cause romo had fucked up rib AND a punctured lung yet missed no games ... and more importantly, wasnt half as shitty as fitzpatrick

3. BookEndTackles 72&79

It gets repeated as gospel that Brick was "terrible" last year. He wasn't "terrible" despite what the stats say about sacks given up. He certainly had a subpar year but he is still an upper echelon player in this league who should bounce back to his norm.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So you write three paragraphs straight up trashing the Jets offensive line and finish by saying that arguing about it is pretty pointless because they are both good and fans will pick their own???

Wood couldn't hold Mangold's jock by the way.. I'll admit Glenn is probably better than Hairston but you are wrong about Glenn beating him out. There was supposed to be a competition but there wasn't because of injury. Hairston played RT all preseason and Glenn was handed the keys to the LT position. I figure you know this, but then again you leave that information out so maybe you dont (or are trying to make the O-line seemed stronger than it is IDK)

The thread title is actually a little false - its not going to be Glenn vs. Coples on sunday because Coples won't be out there the whole time and the way Rex calls his D, Glenn is going to see multiple fronts and multiple differant kinds of rushers.

I'll admit Glenn has talent. I wish he was the NYJ RT, a position, I, like many of the experts think he is better suited for. But anytime a Rookie starts at LT there has to be concern, especially when that Rookie is facing such a complex defense as Rex Ryans - in his first NFL game EVER. For any Bills fan to sit here this week and not have concern about this is ridiculously misguided and is wearing the biggest homer glasses I've seen.

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Glenn will be good but not this year. He has looked pretty average to bad in the preseason. Its just part of being a rookie at the LT position. Same with cornerback. Rookie CBs just get abused even Revis did.

6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't watch the preseason.

I'm not sure why you always say this about Gilmore. The guy came in and started right away, went up against Stevie Johnson every day in practice and more than held his own. I dont know why you think that just because he is a rookie, that he will suck, just because Revis did.

There are plenty of rookies that do well, even corners that arent any good at all but do well their rookie seasons. Look up in NE, at Darius Butler and Devin McCourty. Had excellent rookie seasons and now stink. I remember Reggie Corner did great for us his first year, and then was nowhere to be found. Everyone is different. You shouldn't write him off because he is a rookie.

7. NewYorkEveryThing

Fitz has the arm strength of a high school player at best.That is why I called the meltdown last year with the bills.Warm weather games fitz can actually throw a spiral.But in cold weather games.He looked terrible.

8. joolander

joolander New Member

You shouldn't write him "on" either man. He's a rookie. CB is the hardest position to adjust to behind QB after college.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not sure about the premise of this thread, but I think that Glenn will give up more sacks than Austin Howard. For what it's worth.

10. foreboding

foreboding Member

No doubt the Bills had a better line...for about 9 games-
    When your into your 4th different guy playing LT and hence moving everyone else around, because your RT and your center also got injured, your in trouble.

That said- our O-Line did Ok, all things considered, but that is in part to the spread and Fitz does not keep the ball long.

BOTH teams have many questions and this is all just pontification until the bullets fly. We will see where we both stand this Sunday.

Personally I love that it is a classic division game to start things up.

11. JAG

JAG New Member

You forgot to call him "son" in your 2nd to last post, really took alot away from the impact glad to see you brought in back

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Even if that happened, it wouldnt mean Howard was better.

One is a rookie, one is not. One is playing LT and facing the opponent's best pass rusher, the other is not.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Howard will be facing the opponent's best pass rusher. It would be silly to put your best pass rusher on Brick instead of Howard.

14. John from Hemet

John from Hemet New Member

Im a bills fan but Im not going to come in here and talk a bunch of crap....frankly I dont think our team has earned that.....but a couple of things to consider.....

- In One on Ones the defensive player nearly ALWAYS has the edge....I am also a line coach and I can tell you....one on ones nearly equate NOTHING to how players would do in a game at the same position for a multitude of reasons.......

- Bills fans are happy with Cordy Glenn because a. They didnt have to give up a 1st rounder for him and b. Because he has gone up against top DE's this offseason and done fairly well......starting with Mark Anderson in practice (double digit sacks last year), then Orakpo, then Jared Allen, and the DE for the Lions isn't too shabby either....its not that he doesnt get beat he does....he is just hard to get around even if you DO beat him. In the running game he was killing it in the Steelers pre season game.

- I actually like Couples...not so much now that he is a Jet. But for a player who got that bad rap of being lazy he is showing quite well so far. Sometimes it just takes the right motivation. At the same time if Glenn was holding his own against the Steelers exotic blitz package and players like Jared Allen....how do you expect bills fans not to like his chances against a rookie DE?

15. stigga

stigga New Member

How many % of plays do u think coples will play.