NFL Pocket-Passing Myth

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Backup QB, Sep 1, 2012.

1. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

#101 GoldenShowers, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. GoldenShowers

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Way to mischaracterize what Billick said. He was talking about schemes without a viable passing threat. You know, like the Wishbone ?

4. GoldenShowers

He's saying college gimmick offenses cannot sustain as base offenses in the NFL.

The other articles say variations of the same thing. NFL fans recall in 2008 how the wildcat was being praised as the wave of the future. It wasn't, and pocket passing real offenses rule the day.

My point, as backed by half a dozen coaches and experts, is that you can't run the spread option as a base offense in the NFL, and this idea of using college offenses in the NFL has been rehashed for years and every time proven not to work. Every SINGLE time.

5. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Always funny when someone feels the need to have the final word, then has to, just has to give one more "final word."

Way to show off that self-control. This sub-forum haunts you.

In the back of your mind, you're so very frightened Tebow might succeed as an NFL QB. What would you do if that's as a Jet?

#105 catsigater, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  6. Demosthenes9

Jesus, you are quite daft. Finding guys who say "you can't run the wildcat as a base offense" doesn't address the validity of running the Spread Option offense. Why ? Because even in Urban Meyer's Spread Option offense, PASSING THE BALL accounted for 50% or more of their total offensive production.

That is something that many of you just don't understand. You think Tebow just ran the ball all the damned time in the Spread Option and that they rarely threw the ball. That's just not the case.

Let me break it down for you in the simplest terms that I can. The Spread Option is basically the same as MOST NFL OFFENSES. The only differences really is that it is run from the Shotgun instead of from under center. And that instead of "straight forward" running plays where the QB always hands the ball off, it adds in the "Option" component where the QB can keep the ball at any time.

Going even further, in Meyer's Spread Option, many of the running plays are good, old fashioned "NFL plays" that have been adapted to being run from the shotgun instead of under center. If you will, it's like Brady standing back in the shotgun, taking the snap, then tucking the ball into the gut of the RB. Guess what that is ? It's an adaptation of the time honored Draw play.

So no, none of the articles that you have presented have ANYTHING to say about the viability of the Spread Option in the NFL.

7. GoldenShowers

LOL at the spread option being "the same as NFL offenses".....

Elements of every offense are viable in the NFL. This thread was started to show that if simpleton schemes and gimmicks were used, more players like Tebow would be better than backups.

My point is that you cannot run a gimmick or simpleton scheme as a base offense in the NFL. Tebows throws in college have no correlation to running a pro offense.

I feel like you are of the opinion that running the Rich rod/Urban Meyer offense would work in the NFK. Is that a correct assumption?

8. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Well said.

Reminder to Tebow trashers: Tebow, among other NFL QBs, are simply in the NFL/Spread Option discussion because of his skill set, NOT because he is or is not a Jet.

9. Remarker

Remarker Banned

If you think Rex doesn't plan on being able to plug any of his QBs into the 1s, if needed, maybe rethink that consideration.

10. Demosthenes9

First of all, many "college offenses" are actually more complex than what you see being run by most NFL teams.

Secondly, while Rodriguez and Meyers are both "run first" schemes, there are real differences between the two. If pressed, I'd say that they were cousins of a sort. Related, but not that close.

And yes, I think both of them could be successful in the NFL.

11. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

This thread is not about Tebow per se. You should read the orignal post before you make that assumption.

12. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

13. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I completely agree with this. I am taking the humble road, because so many people say that it is much more complex, but I just don't see it with my eyes. I am not going to say that they are wrong, because I have no formal training in football. But I need to become more educated (like real in depth X's and O's, not generic philosophical articles like Goldenshowers is posting) in order to really make an educated comment. I think he mistook my humility as me saying I don't understand the game. Those articles he posted are noob level.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Clear cut winner for best post in the thread. It's a shame it appears to have been overlooked.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

And you know what I bet the Gators would be great in the NFL too. Go Gators!!!!

Lets not forget Spurrier remember when all the Gators were saying how well Spurriers offense would do in the NFL? Heck he could even make work with Danny Wuerffel .

Got to love Gator fans......:sad::sad::sad: Oh by the way the Gators suck this year.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The only reason the Gators haven't won a superbowl is that they aren't in the NFL and the deck is stacked against them.

17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Riiiiiiight. And being posted in "Tebowmania" after a poor performance by TT is a freak coincidence.

18. Demosthenes9

If you want X's and O's, Smartfootball.com is a good place to look. Funny thing is that one of the best offenses in the past 20 years had been the Manning's offese with the Colts, which is one of the simplest offenses around. They didn't rely on being complicated or sophisticated. Rather, they relied on execution.

Here's a good write up on it.

Peyton Manning (and Tom Moore)’s Indianapolis Colts Offense: How a Handful of Plays Led to a Decade of Success

19. dusterfan

dusterfan New Member

I don't know if it was you who posted something about Smartfootball the other day, but thanks for the link anyhow. There is a lot of good info there.

20. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

The two are not related. I was looking to have a philosophical discussion.