Welcome to the Jets, LB Demario Davis!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The number you are looking for there, Boyband, is 33.

I like Sione, but he's 33...Ellis is younger,faster...and hopefully with Coples and Wilkerson makes the front 3 much faster.

2. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Yea I hate to say it as "blue collar" as Pouha and Devito are, they're the exact reason(s) for our crappy pass rush last year.

5 TFLS? yikes.

3. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Reminds me a little of the Ellis pick last year based on the type of things we've read/heard upon his selection:

"One of the best raw talents at his position in the draft, great physical skills, flashed elite ability albeit against inferior competition, could potentially have gone first round if he hadn't been at a small school"

Of course the makeup side of things is drastically different, but the above things pretty much apply to both of them. Should be an interesting guy to follow.

4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Appreciate the Wahlberg reference. Pouha just signed a pretty nice contract for a NT. There is no way he doesn't start.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Brings much needed speed to LB corps. Needs to beef up a bit. BUT WE STLL NEED O LINEMEN!

6. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

he appears as if hes on crack on highlites.......at a completely different speed than the rest of the field........beautiful

7. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

For your sake I really hope you are under the age of 10...

Anyhow, great pick! Last year this team was one of the slowest in the NFL. Speed kills! Great draft thus far...

8. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i dont get it, why is everyone complaining we didn't take massie if the falcons selected a tackle before him that had an espn grade of 33? clearly there is something wrong with him. you guys need to stop acting like you're the old mighty and know everything. i like this move by the jets

9. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

My problem with this pick is he was picked for having great speed. Well, he's 235 lbs. He will have to put on at least 15 lbs. Will he still have great speed at 250?

10. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

"...projects as a core special-teamer..."

In the 3rd round? If he doesn't see significant action on defense, how does this pick make sense? (The jaguars are being mocked for taking the punter.)

Starting caliber right tackles don't grow on trees. Not saying Massie is gonna be great, but when is management going to address the Wayne hunter situation?

11. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

People keep saying this. But how many teams passed on Joe Montana? Tom Brady? Teams passing on you is irrelevant as far as predicting what kind of career you will have.

Antonio Gates was an undrafted free agent.

12. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

Last year's 3rd round

Can you please name me some of the impact players from last year's 3rd round? You're talking as if everyone who gets picked up until 3rd round are to be future stars. You need to pick up role players as well to complete a team.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He doesn't need to add 15 pounds to play ILB, which is what almost everyone projects him to play in a 3-4. He played a lot in a 4-2-5 in college, so he spent a lot of the time playing on the edges of the box, which translates more to 3-4 ILB probably.

If he gets up to 240, that would be nice, but remember, Rex wanted Scott to cut weight this year, not add weight. He wants faster LBs. Davis fits the bill.

Plus, he's a hard worker and a good team leader type.

Sometimes I think we cater too much to Westhoff, but it's not like this is a guy who doesn't have the potential to be a good starter in the NFL. The Jets will need an ILB next season, preferably a rangy one who can help out more in passing situations. Scott can't do that. Davis can immediately contribute as an inside blitzer and an ILB on passing downs, as well as spelling both Harris and Scott. Then when Scott leaves after this year, hopefully we have our starting ILB next year.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the Jets didn't like the value at OT in a lot of spots. Just because you like Massie or some internet experts like Massie doesn't mean NFL teams do.

It seems to me, and it's pretty obvious since Tannenbaum has basically said this since the offseason started, that Tannenbaum has a lot of faith in Austin Howard, Caleb Schlauderaff, and yes, Vladimir Ducasse. Plus, I think he thinks Hunter is better than he looked last year.

If he really thinks Howard, Ducasse, or Schlauderaff can take a starting job away, then there's not much more room at the inn for another OL. Jets also have OG Trevor Canfield still around.

A mid-late round rookie is unlikely to be an upgrade, even over Hunter. There's still a very good chance the Jets will look for guys in June, or at the start of camp if someone becomes available, but for now, it's pretty obvious the Jets think Ducasse, Howard and Schlauderaff are better prospects than most of the guys they can draft.

DeCastro was different since he would have stepped in right away and been an upgrade. But once you get past the elite group, I think Tannenbaum looked at the backups on the roster currently and decided they were just as good prospects as the guys they can draft later.

Most 3rd round rookies don't step right in and make a huge impact.

14. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

15. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

He sucks, looks terrible. Wasted pick, draft bust. Should have taken a RT. burn in hell tannenbaum.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

All that after one preseason? Attention whore much?

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Preseason in a rookie year is a great indicator of whether the pick is a bust or not. Regardless of how the prospect does down the road, if he sucks in his preseason debut during the rookie campaign, he is destined to bust. Mark my words.

18. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

He looks like he doesn't even belong on the field. Why draft a 235lb lb when there was a glaring need at RT. bust, bust, bust. Dewayne robertson and Vernon rolled into one.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

So following this logic, if a player plays legendary in their rookie preseason they will be a legend?

Sign David Clowney back!!!! :grin:

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yet another example of Jets fans always dying to call their draft picks busts whether warranted or not.