What exactly are they saving for the regular season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by yahoo, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Carr averaged 68.3% his last season as Texans QB. He was checking down on every play by then. That's where the high percentage came from. The Texans saw that and moved on.

This was just like Chad's 68.8% his last year with us. All checkdowns and again the team moved on.

I'd wager that if Sanchez completes north of 65% of his passes this year it is likely his last year as Jet's QB also, except maybe for caretaker work next year as the Jets groom the new 1st rounder.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

None of that matters after the first week and if the plan is so simple that it won't change from week to week then why even bother with it to begin with?...BTW, I think what you will see when Tebow is on the field is the old single wing...it makes the most sense for somebody with his abilities.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I have some of the same reservations you have about Sparano. As much aas I loved seeing Mia crush the Pats with the wildcat and hated seeing them kick Rex's defense's ass with it, there wasn't a ton of action going on for the most part. Even though his teams did well against the Jets' top-ranked defense during those years. I'm not sure what to expect, although I am very excited to see what's going to happen with Tebow. He's not a QB, but he's a weapon that can be used in unorthodox ways.

If it crashes, then the naysayers get to have their day. If we are just up and down, winning a few here and there and ending up 8-8, I'll be down on this regime, big time.

If we go 4-12, you know where I'll be. Over there lighting the torches. I'm not a homer, you know that. But from what we've seen, I don't know why anyone would just expect the worst, because while it looks like a monkey fucking a football, so did 2009.

As far as the D... I have been payi ng a lot of attention to the schemes, and I don't see what you are seeing. They're using base schemes and straight-up blitzes, aside from that one cross-on-cross blitz that had Carolina's D spinning their heads on Sunday night. They've been close to as vanilla as the offense in most senses of the word, but they just have far more talent on defense than on offense.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

My concern is that their higher level of offense has only been tested against their own guys. They have no idea how effective it will be against an adversary other than the Jet D or DC not named Ryan.

They could have sprinkled in some of this new stuff just to see how it would work in a real game situation. As it is, just like a lot of things regarding this organization, it will be a work in progress and OJT.

What's that old saying about best laid plans??

#64 Cman68, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. bobaru

bobaru Banned

First post i've seen from ya that's worthy of a response (though, i prefer your more humorous responses, however contemptuous).

Just noting, your assessment is not unlike many others you refer to as 'darksiders' and 'trolls'. You may want to think you're distinguished by your restraint, reserving your right to flame. But, your assessment is not unlike my own.

Leadership is lacking. Players in leadership positions and skill positions are (perhaps inadvertently, though i doubt it) making comments about inadequacies of fellow players at skill positions.

And, the most important leadership and skill position on offense has been afforded a half-assed committment. This alone is ill-conceived, but doubly worse on an easily disgruntled team lacking leadership.

Not darksider, simply calling attention to the monkey on the back (or, on the football). However you like it (or don't like it)..... this team is in sad shape going into the season. They need a leader. And, they need to commit to just one leader at qb. Otherwise, they're denying themselves, and everyone on the team, the singular focus necessary to win, i.e. it's easy to defeat a divided opponent.

6. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

So thats one week a team isn't prepared for our offense sounds like a good strategy to me. And it will change from week to week hell if a team prepared all week for the single wing we dont need to use it. Game planning against this offense is going to be hard you never know what your going to get. That is why we brought in Tebow because he adds so many more facets to the offense that if used properly can really keep the defense off balance. Tebow keeps running for five yards so they stack the box, he keeps them honest by throwing every once in a while. Oh ok the Defense caught on to the "wildcat", bring in Sanchez and run the regular offense. I can promise you Dave Wansted is in his office overloaded with tape of both Sanchez and Tebow and is frustrated right now that he has no idea how to gameplan for the Jets.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

i dont think the jets were hiding their offense per say (except the Tebow package) as they were evaluating talent and changing mindset.

Can they line up mano y mano and win. it did not look like they could but it also led to the trade of WFH