Kyle Wilson....Brutal!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

Some of the worst plays on Sunday involved Kyle Wilson getting beat easily and often. What is the opinion out there on this guy. Is it his position or his talent? Is he valuable to another team in terms of maybe getting a receiver in a trade? I realize it takes time for a DB to hone his skill at this level but he really hasn't shown much......

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He honestly didn't look like he belonged on an NFL field Sunday night. Apparently all the talk about him being so much better was just more smoke being blown up our asses. Maybe he's just not fit for the inside and needs to play outside?

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

There is so much more he must prepare for when playing the slot there is just more room for more moves. Only thing I can critic about is when he chases he still has a hard time looking back at the QB

4. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea he had a bad game. He definitely does better working on the outside then he does in the slot. Hopefully he can figure it out because he is a great tackler which is something you need in a slot corner. Also he did have moments last year playing in the slot very he looked very good.

5. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Love this thread.

Wilson is awful and always has been. He still has another year before being declared a bust IMO, but I've seen nothing to suggest he'll improve much.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree, he was bad sunday night.

The weird thing is he always stays with his man but when the ball comes he like almost makes no attempt to break it up and lets the guy catch it everytime. He's been doing it his whole career now.

He's a good tackler once they catch the ball but his "ball skills" are horrible. He just follows the guy around and doesn't ever turn his body towards the ball. What's up with that? He's not a Rookie anymore, he should've improved on this by now.

I fear that the defense could be alot like last year. Dominant on first and second downs but very frustrating on third downs because the spread offenses will hit their third recievers for first downs. Wilson has to step up for this defense to be elite.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

another draft pick to add to the "wasted" list.

8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Just like every other franchise

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wilson should be spending his time lined up on the #2 WR outside at this point. The Jets are asking him to play a position that has evolved over the last few seasons to be nearly as challenging as covering the #1 WR. In some ways it is more challenging because of all the movement the spread does before the snap.

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

And have Cromartie play in the slot? Cro is absolutely awful on those short passes he needs to play on the outside too.

11. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Wilson had a pretty good year last year. First year he was terrible with ball skills. He was always right there with the receiver and had good coverage but the guy would never looked for the ball. He improved a lot last year but last night he played pretty bad. Nickle corner is one of the hardest positions to play, but I believe he will be fine and so will the Defense

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I know it's been said a thousand times, but it really is frustrating how he never seems to get his head turned around. You know they have to have been coaching him on it, but he still never seems to improve on it.

I certainly wouldn't call him a bust, but definitely a disappointment.

13. yahoo

yahoo Banned

As much as they talk him up, he's been an incredible bust. If he was a sixth-round pick, he would have been cut long ago.

I don't trust him at all on coverage.

14. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I thought he played well last year. Big jump from year 1 to year 2 and then he struggled a little it late in the year. Looks like he has taken a step back but it's too early to tell. I will give him this it is tougher covering a slot receiver. No sideline to work with but he is constantly trailing and as many have mentioned never plays the ball.

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Where are the "Revis is the best player in the NFL" posters? Should he play the slot and Wilson take the outside? I think the nickel DB is one of the most challenging positions to play in the game. You need to have quickness, durability (taking on big TE's), SUPERIOR ball skills, and the ability to tackle. While Wilson looks lost some times, most DB's in the slot do. I am not making excuses for KW, as he needs to take the next step. Maybe he is not a nickel CB and more of an outside guy. We all know there is no way in hell Cro lines up in the slot, he would get murdered....How about christ himself! He is the best that ever played the position....right???

16. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Revis has proven he can cover the slot when needed. If the teams best receiver (Welker) lines up there Revis can move to the slot if thats what the Jets want to do. Makes more sense to have Revis continue to take the teams number one option out of the game though and thats most likely covering someone on the outside.

Also I believe Revis makes a serious run at defensive player of the year this season. I'm pretty sure he holds out or gets a new contract after this season so he will be extra motivated. Also teams have been taking more shots at him than in the past and he will have some opportunitites to make plays.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Revis would be a Hall Of Famer at every secondary position outside of SS. But it takes a really specific ability to adapt to the skillset required for the slot. Because there's a completely different skillset required for a slot receiver. Shorter steps, no bump coverage, quickers cuts, and many possible route picks by running through linebacker and safety coverage (by route picks I mean the receiver running a defender into another defender, not an interception.) Revis can do that. I'm not convinced that any other d-back on the roster can, however.

During my time as a Jets fan, Ray Mickens was and has been the best slot corner we have had. He was perfect to cover the slot guy with these skills, quick ball attack and short bursts of closing speed, although Mickens would never be categorized as a 'fast' defender. And Ray couldn't cover outside to save his life.

It might be, as LTJF said earlier, that Wilson is just a better fit for the outside.

18. Reece

Reece Banned

I remember just last week there were members here that ridiculed me after me asking "when did this guy become starter material?". Those posters claimed that sitting behind Revis has made him a starting caliber cb. Kyle Wilson is exactly what you see on the field, a scrappy player with low awareness.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Slot corner is not a starting position. I figured that was common knowledge.

20. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

A proper comparison/rating would be to find the top 10 slot corners last year by statistics, anyone have that?