I just don't get it.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 26, 2012.

1. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

There's a difference between fixing and tweaking, and a person who just can't play the position. His motion, footwork, field vision, accuracy, timing, touch, drops, reads, ability to diagnose a D, and ball security are all below average or poor. He can throw hard and scramble.

This isnt Eli Manning who is learning the ropes of the NFL and tweaking his game. This is a scrub who can't play the position, but bc he prays, has some exciting scrambles, and was a hero to a bunch of Napolean complex fans, receives a massive following.

2. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Shocking that you would completely miss the point. His point was that while Tebow was given the chance, black QBs of the same skillset with equally impressive College Numbers have NOT been given the same chances, and it just is happens they aren't white outspoken Christians.

3. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Tim looked like crap last night, but its statements like these that make you haters lose all credibility.

4. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Who were they?

5. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

I totally get the point and I might actually agree with the point if you could tell me who those QB's are that didn't get a look and had the accomplishments Tebow did in college.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dude he was playing against 2s and 3s. If he can't make plays against 3s Tebow is in trouble

7. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Seem to recall that Kordell Stewart was a starting QB in the NFL. Hmm, let's see, Steve McNair, Duante Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, Mike Vick, Vince Young.

Nah, no black "running QB" ever got a shot in the NFL. Tebow got his chance because he's a whitey.

You're full of shit.

8. JFjets

JFjets New Member

I think it's worth mentioning that there are a crap ton of "proto-typical" skill set QB's who did get a chance in the NFL and didn't do squat. Tebow has already accomplished more than a lot of them. Maybe having a "proto-typical" skill set at QB is overrated in the NFL, or maybe, just maybe Tim Tebow is the once in a very long time NFL QB who breaks the conventional wisdom QB "rules" for NFL success and has success doing it his own way. Regardless, it is way too soon to either be measuring his HOF jacket or writing him off as a bust.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fine - I'll bite.

Just in recent history: Troy Smith, Pat White, Brad Smith. All accomplished college players, all with a similar skill set to Tebow, all were given less opportunities in the NFL.

I'm not saying its a black/white thing or a christian thing, I'm just saying the original post was pretty true. All of those players were great in college like Tebow, and all of those players have similar skillsets. The only difference is Tebow has had way, way more publicity and opportunity. But if you ask Tebow lovers, he's been "doubted" his whole career - what a victim.

10. Bannon

Bannon New Member

The statement was also "equally impressive college numbers." So that elminates all of the above. Got any more?

Tebow basically did a Cam Newton season (statistically) his sophomore year, then won a national championship, then a third year of 13-1 with similar performance.

11. BrowningNagle

Huh? are you trying to tell me those three guys weren't impressive in college? They were awesome too. Nitpicking with the "equally" line is stupid. No two people are exactly equal. Those players all have amazing numbers.

Brad Smith and Pat White have BETTER numbers, if they played at Florida under Urb and with the talent those teams had they probably would have national championships as well. Troy Smith was a winner his whole college career!

#91 BrowningNagle, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  12. Demosthenes9

Let's take a look at the differences.

None of the aforementioned players had anything close to the same pedigree and accolades that Tebow had in college. Troy Smith was the closest, but still, a very distant second.

Second: None of the QBs you mentioned have anything close to the size/power that Tebow has.

Third: Have never heard anyone talk on and on about their "intangibles", and yes, those are important.

13. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Name one. I'm not aware of one who had equally impressive College Numbers period, much less one that did and didn't get a chance in the NFL.

14. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

Troy Smith and Brad Smith I believe are still in the NFL and have been several years longer than Tebow. Pat White was drafted in the second round and was cut the following year. He went to the UFL and was cut there his first year. As mentioned above - their accomplishments in college were not equivalent to what Tebow did. Troy Smith had some nice accomplishments but he played college five years and Tebow threw for more yards in four than Troy had career total yards by a lot I might add.

15. Bannon

Bannon New Member

You're the one quibbling -- nobody said they weren't generally "impressive." The suggestion was that we could somehow compare, and determine that there were quarterbacks with "equally impressive college numbers." I wasn't the one who suggested it was somehow a provable objective fact (with the numbers) that Tebow had gotten more than his fair shot in the NFL.

So no, there is no example of a quarterback with equally impressive college numbers, with Tebow's physical attributes and skill set, who got ignored by the NFL or didn't get a chance.

16. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Numbers are numbers -- they lead to people explaining them away as "system" and all that. I get that.

But I don't think people understand the statistical production and efficiency Tebow displayed in college -- he threw for more touchdowns than Andrew Luck. He through 2 less touchdown passes than Peyton Manning did. The two of them sit at 2 and 3 (behind Wuerrfel) in SEC history, while Tebow was busy breaking Herschel Walker's rushing TD record (just think of how many passing TD's he might have had if he weren't such a runner).

When people think Troy Smith had a comparable career, it lets me know they weren't paying attention. I'm sure they thought was some guy who just got a lot of hype on ESPN -- but Tebow put up some gaudy numbers, against the best competition, with wins hanging in the balance.

The critics who say "it was the system" or "it was because he had good teammates," at least I know they are aware. But the ones who say "Eric Crouch," I"m like, man, what are you thinking? Eric Crouch barely every through a touchdown pass. It was like something from the 1920's. Tebow threw TD passes at a higher clip than Peyton Manning.

17. BrowningNagle

okay by that token- there is no example of a quarterback with equally impressive college numbers, with Brad Smith's physical attributes and skill set, who got ignored by the NFL or didn't get a chance

there is no example of a quarterback with equally impressive college numbers, with Troy Smith's physical attributes and skill set, who got ignored by the NFL or didn't get a chance

there is no example of a quarterback with equally impressive college numbers, with Mark Sanchez's physical attributes and skill set, who got ignored by the NFL or didn't get a chance.

there is no example of a quarterback with equally impressive college numbers, with MY physical attributes and skill set, who got ignored by the NFL or didn't get a chance. (Nobody equalled the exact amount of beers I chugged in my college days, some more some less - but nobody the same)

That's how you combat an argument? I provided excellent examples of similar players both number-wise and skill set to Tebow who got nowhere near the amount of publicity and opportunity he has gotten. And you and the other Tebow loves reply with that crap. Oh okay, they aren't EXACTLY the same as him. I get it.

WEAK

18. Bannon

Bannon New Member

No, no. If the numbers were equal to or greater than the numbers, that would count as a candidate. Although the original poster didn't say, when he said no one with numbers equally impressive as Tebow's, he presumably meant "equal to or better than."

So, from the entire field of human beings, anybody that did as well as Tebow in college, or better in terms of numbers, and got ignored -- that would be the question.

I'm not the one who suggested there are any examples --- there clearly are not. The silence is deafening on that point.

19. Demosthenes9

Dude, which part did you not understand? NONE of the QBs you mentioned had anywhere near the skill set or abilities that Tebow demonstrated in college.

Guess who did ? Vince Young. #1 pick in the draft IIRC. Isn't he black ? Ergo, your "Tebow cause he's a whitey" line of reasoning is bullshit.

20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I just don't understand why someone would choose to conclude racism, AGAINST the evidence. Why wouldn't you pleasantly surprised to learn that Tebow's attention was well justified by his stats?

If anything, the mystery at this point is how he did it. :)