Serious question...How can the Jets beat the Bills week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by foreboding, Aug 24, 2012.

1. foreboding

foreboding Member

At this point I think that the Bills have the clear advantage. Informed Jets fans, is there a way the Jets beat the Bills given all the challenges you guys have right now? Something other than "Bills suck we own them". Because every year is a new year.

I think that your RT issue is going to mean a feast for Mario coming off the same side. This will force you to double or play max protection and we got some guys that can get after the ball in the secondary. Seems you have to ground and pound but your offense has shown no signs of life really. If the prayer is Tebow/Wildcat, I like the Bills chances, alot.

Seems to me if the Bills score 17, it will be hard for the Jets to win. I mean I guess you could hope Fitz plays poorly and your two CB studs make a ton of plays and score...

2. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Seems to me the Jets need to score more points than the Bills.

Having a game plan and not starting Wayne Hunter is also helpful.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Yes... if the Jets don't make mistakes they should win. The Jets defense is its strength and its going to be very hard for the Bills to put up even 17 on them. The easiest way for the Bills to score is if the Jets offense (or special teams considering how they've been so far) turn the ball over to the Bills or frequently hand over great field position.

For all the Jets struggles they still have a lot of very good pieces that could cause problems for other teams if they don't play their best.

Seeing as how this is a division game I'm assuming both teams will be at their best. So yeah, mistakes will tell the story.

#3 xxedge72x, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  4. foreboding

foreboding Member

Guessing this could indeed be the case...it being game one, we may see alot of mistakes on both teams...

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Because preseason really doesn't mean shit and a lot can happen btwn now and then?

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Running the football, over and over and over. Bills need to prove that they can stop the run. Against the Jets, they have not done so. Also Dustin Keller has been a Bills Killer the past couple seasons so if we get him involved early, we can get the momentum early in the game and close it out with Greene late

7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

:rofl2: of our first 4 games Bluffalo and Miami are gimmes.

8. joejamfootball

I was watching the Patriots in a preseason game and the opposition had a D End that was coming pretty hard and the Pats threw 2 screen passes in a row that went for 20 yards each over that rushing end. That's all the Jets have to do. Play smart football. If Mario is in the backfield every play make them pay for his aggressiveness.

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well a lot of the Jets offensive issues can be traced to RT and the lack of actual NFL receivers being on the field for Sanchez to work with. Once the Jets receiving corps gets healthy (and they will be by week 1) things will improve significantly. The same can be said if the Jets find a decent RT by then as well. Whether that occurs through trade, waiver wire, or Austin Howard just being better than we expect, who knows.

Plus your offense hasn't been fantastic either (10 points so far this preseason by the 1's right?). Plus your defense has left a ton to be desired. Christian Ponder just went up and down the field on you guys last week. So it's not like the 0-2 Bills look like world-beaters this preseason either.

Once the game starts, it all depends on who plays better. mistakes will be the key to early NFL games, and as always expect a hell of a dog fight between division rivals who will both have big chips on their shoulders to start the season. The Bills are trying to prove they are for real for the first time in a decade. Meanwhile the Jets will be trying to prove they aren't a joke and that all of last seasons nonsense is behind them.

Focus and execution will decide the game. I fully expect a 3-2 turnover ratio, with the winner, winning the game.

10. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

With the offense I've seen only Miami is a gimme.

Still, the Jets beat the Bills pretty consistently and I don't expect that to change. The OP is right though: comes down to whether we can protect Sanchez.

11. catfish

catfish New Member

serious answer to a serious question

the 1st string defense appears to be very good

the wildcat has not been shown at all yet

the top 2 receiving threats have been sidelined

the RT position will be better than it has been most likley through trade

realistically the preseason hasn't been any indication of the Jets actual abilities on offense due to the injury situation, not saying the Jets are a lock, but I wouldn't get overconfident if I was a Bills fan

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Pretty simple really.

Score a safety the Jets win 2-0.

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Wait till after Sunday, then we can talk about the Bills game. The Jets still have another preseason game for the starters to prove something.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

child, please.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Jets are at home and have a much better defense. Bills D has improved but its not top ten. where the Jets D could be top 3. We haven't seen what the Jets offense is yet. Whatever they do the team that will get surprised by it the most will be the Bills week 1. Sanchez is a better QB than Fitzpatrick. If the Jets shut down the Bills over 30 year old running back who is coming off injury who probably won't repeat what he did early last year then the Jets win.

If Sanchez struggles with turnovers the Bills will probably win but I don't see it happening at Metlife.

16. foreboding

foreboding Member

Agreed- Both teams have the all important game 3 coming this weekend.
    Boards will be lively Monday!

17. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Score more points?

But seriously, Buffalo has looked like shit this Preseason as well and changing from a 34 to a 43 with new pieces will take time. Also, Fitzpatrick is good for slants and nothing else. If we don't moronically play Cover 2 like we did in the second match-up last season, we should dominate you again like in the first game.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

U are right BUT....have u seen the jets execute successful screens. something usually goes
    wrong - poor blocking, play is too slow to develop, sanchez is not accurate, receiver cannot break a tackle - its usually not pretty.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Exactly. I think our defensive effort is going to look a lot like the first Bills game and our offense which matches up well against the Bills will be able to atleast put up a respectable amount of points. We will finally use the wildcat where Tebow should be able to run all over them. The Bills got a bit better up the middle by getting healthy but they are not a good run defensive team. Mario Williams and Anderson are not good at stuffing the run.

Even when we were struggling to run the ball we always ran on the Bills. McKnight ran over 100 yards on them playing with backups. Greene and LT always had big games against them. I don't think they are much better at stopping the run now.

20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

if youre going by the pre-season, the bills offense has looked just as bad as the jets offense ... their first team offense only scored against the vikings backups and bob griffin and ponder moved the ball easily on that "vaunted" defense

plus, the bills are starting rookies at LT (a second rounder in a weak tackle draft, at that) and CB, two of the toughest positions for rookies to have immediate success

you should be asking how are the bills going to beat the jets?