Jets [do not trade] for Panthers OT Jeff Otah *CUT BY PANTHERS*

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mantana Soss, Jul 23, 2012.

1. patfanken

patfanken Banned

No it wouldn't. In fact it would be a smart move IF.....the only reason he couldn't pass his physical was his health.....AND all he needs is time in order to get healthy.

If that's the case then the Jets should sign him for the $700K put him on PUP. At best he comes back healthy mid season and the Jet get an upgrade to their OL for the last half of the season. At worst they IR him and work hard to get him ready for next season, and then if healthy he'd like be better than anyone they can draft. The end result is the Jets upgrade the OL AND save a draft pick.

However if the reason he failed his physical was because he wasn't interested enough to get in shape......nevermind.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Howard is #77....you can see him briefly in this clip from camp...he's a big boy

[YOUTUBE]SWSiQkqOe8o[/YOUTUBE]

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

So it comes down to his motivation and whether he actually wants to be an NFL starter, which is something hard to judge without knowing a player intimately...

I would go for it, but the Jets aren't always exactly rational.

4. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

It would not look bad at all. He has been CUT. Meaning he is the property of no one. They don't feel he is worth anything at this point.

I think we would be dumb not to do it if the reason was that he was not in shape. Put him on the pup list, make the fat fuck work out and diet, and once he passes we have a better option than hunter.

If its effort, than fuck him. We all know how that works ex: gholston, v

5. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Give me back my Jake Ballard, you bastard!!!

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It would actually look like something the Patriots would do. So I agree.

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The Pats didn't trade for Ballard, then give him back becasue he couldn't pass the physical, then pick him back up when the Giants waived him.

If the Jets feel he can help them, then they should have kept for awhile longer. They got inside info into the health of this guy that no other team in the league has. So if they were to bring him back in, I think it would be pretty sketchy.

I would feel this no matter what team did it.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

See, I knew I was right.

9. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I'm actually just busting your balls. It's funny to me that signing an injured FA was something you considered a dickhead move. The Patriots signed an injured player en route to IR; if signing Otah would "smell" then signing Ballard reeks.

10. Elijah

Elijah New Member

I personally don't see much wrong with signing Otah. If the Panthers desperately wanted him away from the Jets then they could keep him. Cutting someone means that his old contract, and everything that he went through contractually, is void and he can start fresh.

The Ballard move was different in pretty much every way. The Patriots claimed him off waivers and therefore picked up his old contract. However, the Giants took a risk much like the Panthers did by waiving Ballard and what the Patriots did was 100% fair game. Just like it would be 100% fair if the Jets signed Otah.

Also, I don't want to derail this thread, but why is your signature only about the Patriots when it's not even a Patriots forum?

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The idea that it would be shitty of the Jets to pick him up now is stupid. The Panthers could have kept him or tried to get value out of someone else. Obviously they felt there was no value in keeping him, regardless of the failed trade attempt with the Jets.

At this point he's fair game for anyone to pick up. The failed trade has no bearing what so ever on who picks him up at this point, the Jets included.

Obviously it's going to take some time before he is ready to play football, if ever. The Jets trade attempt was clearly only good under the condition that they felt he was ready to play much sooner. Basically, if he was ready to play NOW, it was worth a 7th rounder to the Jets. Since he's not, he may be worth a PUP spot to the Jets if they want to wait and see if he is healthy at some point.

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

It's not stupid. What's stupid is your continuing assumption that only your opinion is valid.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

+1 ^

Guy is a FA, anybody who wants this out of shape lineman is free to go get him - including the NYJ. only a moron would think it would be ethically "wrong" to aquire otah now. it might be a miserable football decision, but not unethical.

#433 AbdulSalam, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Seems to me that you're the one making assumptions here.

Let's keep it on topic though. If you want to continue this discussion PM me.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And CC me!