Jets to Retire 2 numbers this season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jul 31, 2012.

1. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Is CMart going into the Hall of Fame as a NYJET?

Jets will retire Dennis Byrd's No. 90 on Oct 28 vs. Dolphins

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I like retiring the numbers. It means that number will be remembered for that player.

Also two great picks.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

There is no such thing as going into the Hall of Fame as a (insert team name here) with football. That's a baseball Hall of Fame thing.

4. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

5. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Hmm never really payed attention to that....no matter, if they did of course he would go in as a Jet.

6. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Sweet, 80 should be retired as well

7. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Without a doubt.

The thing is the baseball plaques show the players wearing a team cap. The football busts do not show the player wearing a helmet. Therefore, there is no "going in as a member of a certain team."

If the football hall did have such a thing, then with what team would Mike Haynes and Deion Sanders go in with? Pates or Raiders for Haynes? Falcons or Cowboys for Sanders? And with Sanders it is even tougher because his best season was with San Francisco.

9. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Just for the conversation I think Deion would go in as a cowboy. His personality, that teams personality...in his mind and most people when you hear his name you think of the cowboys.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

See, there is a debate to be had there because when I think of him I think of him as a Falcon first.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

They used to have a painting of the player with their bust, but they removed that during the remodel a few years ago.

12. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I can fast foward that debate, my argument would be Team success vs. Personal Success. The overall success of the other players around him and everything that went along with it just amplified everything he did during that tme period.

Whereas if you go just on position performance and stats you could make the argument for the Falcons or 49ers or whatever team he played his best football with.

13. Murrell2878

I think of Deion as a Cowboy more than a Falcon too.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

To me, PFHOF enshrinement is based on individual merit. It is not a team honor. Sanders (and his whole career took place after I began to follow the NFL religiously- so there is no distortion or guesswork on my part) played his best football in Atlanta and San Francisco. He did have a couple top notch seasons in Dallas, however.

15. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Wouldnt he have input in the matter? I feel he would want to go down as a cowboy. I feel that in his mind he is still a cowboy.

Of course I dont know any of this as i do not know him personally, but thats my gut feeling.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He would likely want to go in as a Cowboy. He won there and it would probably mean more money to him at card signing shows and things of that ilk. "Cowboys Hall of Famer" or "Falcons Hall of Famer"- what would be worth more money?

Even if players entered the PFHOF as a member of a team, it likely would not be the player's choice. Look at what happened with Wade Boggs in baseball.

17. Murrell2878

There are team exhibits that list all of the players of each team in the HOF (providing they played a good amount of time with that team) and has a momento from each player/coach. The Jets are represented by John Riggins but not Ronnie Lott (if my memory serves me correctly). Haynes is with both the Pats and the Raiders. Martin will represent both the Jets and the Pats in the team exhibits.

18. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Can we all just relish the moment that we have a player who was a NYJET going into the Hall of Fame and not argue about it.

19. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Ill agree to that, although I still think that if you cut the money part out he would still choose Dallas.

Yea, that Boggs stuff was a mess and players who would allow their final legacy and greatest achievemant to be influenced by a payday...well that ruins it for players who would select with their heart, as long as it was within reason.

For example, "John Q." played for 10 years, 5 with team A and 5 with team B, which also happened to be his favorite team as a kid.

He had 55% of his success on team A and 45% with B.

That 45% was still great production and his overall career between the 2 teams is comparable.

John Qs boyhood dream of being enshrined in the HOF as a player of his favorite team is taken away from him, that would sting and sounds unfair to me.

That is a different debate all together though.

I suppose I dont know how they would put Deion down then, I dont know their process and if they take into account the things that I mentioned.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I do not see anybody arguing about it.