Sanchez or Flacco?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 16, 2012.

?

Who would you choose to Start for the Jets?

1. Mark Sanchez

55.8%
  2. Joe Flacco

36.8%
  3. Tim Tebow

7.4%
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

actually Chad had a good record against NE, he was 3-6 against NE as a starter which is a good record against that team.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

No no no. I asked about the bold. "notice how many SBs Bal has been in since?" You aren't seriously using that as an argument right? I agree he is underrated, everyone has a part in winning a super bowl, but the line I quoted seems like a terrible way going about it. I just don't think in football you can pin that much on one player. Basketball and hockey (goalie only) maybe, but not football.

I think part of the reason he didn't look like he improved reading defense was because we didn't have a threat of the deep ball. It made defenses key in on anything within 15 yards. If the mjaority of the team stays healthy, it will be nice to see how Sanchez looks. He has some solid weapons in Keller, Kerley, and Tone and a nice unproven one in Hill.

I actually wouldn't mind the if his completetion percentage stays at 58% or around there if it is because we are taking so many deep shots. We have the players to do it.

And like you said, a major upgrade isn't needed from Sanchez to become a serviceable QB. Stretch the field once or twice a game and protect the ball and we might see more of the 11 Sanchez playing a lot more loose and elusive than 12 Sanchez that played panicky and rushed.

3. nyjunc

I'm not saying he was responsible but it shows how difficult it is to get to and win SBs. baltimore has had plenty of great defenses in the last decade yet hasn't reached a SB again. Trent was more important to that team that most people realize.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Agree with this, I was just confused with the original wording.

5. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

It's easy to have great fundamentals in practice when you're not getting hit. Sanchez has shown a tendency to feel pressured/rushed fairly easily and his technique breaks down rapidly when he realizes this pressure. Part of this can/will be fixed by experience, but as of now it's a disturbing facet of his game.

6. nyjunc

I think that happened at times last yar b/c of our OL was pretty bad, I wouldn't say that has been the case all 3 years.

7. FriendlyGiantsFan

I think Sanchez hasn't consistently shown grace under pressure in his career at this point. He's had instances where he has stood strong in the pocket and been very clutch under pressure. He's also had instances where he's looked panicked and frightened. I think that's kind of been the case with him from day 1.

FWIW, I also think his level of play is assessed as either negative or positive based only half on the measure of his performance itself; I think the other half is media perception/expectations.

8. FriendlyGiantsFan

I agree with you on Dilfer. If you win a Super Bowl with a QB, you're doing something right. Just because he isn't Joe Montana doesn't mean that he's a bad fit for your team.