Sanchez or Flacco?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 16, 2012.

?

Who would you choose to Start for the Jets?

1. Mark Sanchez

55.8%
  2. Joe Flacco

36.8%
  3. Tim Tebow

7.4%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Given the way last season went despite all the expectations, and in particular the last three games, the way Sanchez sucked in them and his role in them being three straight losses, you would think Jet fans in particular would be very much aware of the importance of regular season games, especially stretch playoff run games.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I only brought it up because Pats fan says that Flacco has played good in crucial moments, which is not entirely true.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

And if we are only going to use the last few games as examples, I guess one can say Flacco is better than Brady right now, because the last I saw of Brady was him crashing and burning in both the AFC:CG and playing very mediocre in the Super Bowl.

But of course, saying Flacco is better than Brady is ludacris so im not going there and never will.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'll take Mark Sanchez.

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Flacco does have a pretty sweet stache though...

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

He looks like Ben Stiller in Happy Gilmore.

7. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Thank you! We're talking about a 6 game stretch, no games in which Sanchez had legendary performances. His offense scored 17 points in 4 of the 6 games and neither of which resulted in a Super Bowl appearance. I also love that if Sanchez has a poor statistical game in the playoffs but the jets win, the argument is that he did enough for the Jets to win and you have to look beyond the stats. Try using that argument for Flacco and you roasted.

#127 BrucekilledBoomer, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

show me the poor statistical games that Flacco played well in?

It's not easy to win in Janaury, you need quality QB play and we got that from mark. Look at a team like SD which every year it seems is a SB favorite but they have only made 1 title game and that was after Rivers got hurt. Some guys are great fantasy QBs, other guys can actually play when in January. Sanchez has proven he can play in january, that doesn't mean he'll never have a bad game, that doesn't mean he'll never make a mistake but he's not making mistakes b/c he is afraid of the big spot unlike some other QBs who melt under pressure. I don't think Flacco melts under pressure but he hasn't played well in postseason.

9. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Not last season you didn't:

Jan 1, 2012: Mark Sanchez : 21/32, 207 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, Jets 17, Dolphins 19

Jets Grounded

10. nyjunc

last season late we did not, we were discussing postseason. last year nothing went right down the stretch and mark was terrible along w/ pretty much all phases of our team.

11. BrucekilledBoomer

I'm not necessarily saying he played well in any of his poor statistical starts, but if you say Sanchez played well in San Diego (which he clearly did not), then you have to say Flacco played well against Tennessee in his rookie year. He put up more yardage and didn't turn it over. His big play in that game, a 48 yard touchdown pass, was more impressive than anything Sanchez did in San Diego.

12. nyjunc

watch tape of the SD game, he absolutely played well. keep in mind we had a lead and were trying to milk the clock so after going up 17-7 I don't think he attempted another pass but he made big plays in the pass game w/o we probably don't win that game while the better statistical QB that day got a bulk of his yds late when we were up double digits and made the big mistake that changed that game around.

I bet you think he played well in the Indy title game and bad against SD b/c of the #s but it was the opposite. He was good at SD and ok at Indy. he wasbetter at SD despite the huge difference in #s.

13. BrucekilledBoomer

If you want to think that's an impressive start then fine....just as long as you don't dog Flacco for not having impressive starts/stats while sitting on a big lead against the Dolphins in his first playoff game or after leading a game winning drive to beat the Titans the following week. Those should both be chalked up as solid starts by your definition.

14. nyjunc

The Miami game in 2008 the D scored a TD and forced 5 TOs, the jets D never scored for Sanchez and forced 7 TOs total in SIX postseason games in 2009 & 2010. Flacco didn't do much but that was his first postseason game and he didn't turn it over- I'll give him credit for that.

he does get credit for the GW FG at Ten even though he only completed 1 pass on the drive.

15. BrucekilledBoomer

Yes, one crucial pass for about 30 yards on a critical third down.

The bottom line is that early post-season success doesn't guarantee future success, just as early post-season failures doesn't mean the player will never turn it around (see: the Manning brothers). I'll take the guy who will continue to get his team to the tournament because he has the better chance of finally breaking through.

16. nyjunc

he deserves credit for making the play on 3rd and 2.

Peyton has struggled throughout his postseason career w/ a few good games sprinkled in.

Eli has 2 great postseasons but his other 3 trips were terrible

Sanchez has gotten his team to postseason 67% of the time, that's not Flacco's 100% but it's close.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I was just surprised to see you use those arguments. :)

:beer: It's bad when fans could effectively armchair call the plays before Schotty ran them

18. Reece

Reece Banned

True story...going with Joey 100% over Sanchez. It's hard to argue with the above stats and actually watching them both play on Sundays.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think they are both really inconsistent though. I can't go 100% Joe over Sanchez. Neither of them are conisistent enough where I know I am going to get a good game out of them

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He did regress in 2011 based on those stats.

Alot of QBs regressed though, Freeman completely blew up, Bradford was horrible, Matt Ryan wasnt impressive.