Sanchez or Flacco?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 16, 2012.

?

Who would you choose to Start for the Jets?

1. Mark Sanchez

55.8%
  2. Joe Flacco

36.8%
  3. Tim Tebow

7.4%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand your point. What I was trying to do was turn the same lame arguments Sanchez Fans always use to excuse his lousy play against them. None of the excuses they make for him do not also apply to Flacco, and in fact in the case of continuity at receiver Flacco has had far less of that than Sanchez.

I should have been more clear.

2. Big Blocker

What make you think the next two years will not be big for Flacco?

I don't get this kind of argument.

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It's not so much an argument as one is better than the other, just a gut feeling. I'd prefer to have wings for dinner over pizza, that's not an argument as to why I think wings are better than pizza.

If people would prefer Flacco and have stats and whatnot to backup their argument, more power to them.

4. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Judging results and not potential, I'm not sure how anyone could justify taking Sanchez over Flacco at this point in their careers.

Flacco has a better arm, better pocket presence, does not turn the ball over as much as Sanchez, and has not really done anything to hurt his team in critical moments.

There are always variables such as coaching, the talent around the QB, etc-etc. Factor in all the intangibles and maybe it's a different story, but objectively, I'm not sure there's much to debate.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Umm Flacco cost his team 2 trips to Championship games in 09 and 10. He was an absolute ghost in the divisional round games against the Colts and Steelers. If the Ravens had anything that resembled an offense they may have beaten the Colts and would have definately beat the Steelers.

6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

It's like choosing whether you want syphilis or genital warts.

7. Big Blocker

Here's another argument that makes no sense.

Acknowledging as you must that the Ravens went to the Champ Game this past season and played the Pats very closely in their home park, what does your view of Flacco's performance in 09 and 10 have to do with how you see Flacco TODAY?

Let's assume the Jets make it to the Champ Game this coming season, but lose. Not what we want, but a clear improvement over last season.

Would you say despite that that Sanchez sucks because he crapped the bed the last three games of the 11 season?

No good Sanchez Fan would. So why does that kind of thinking apply to Flacco?

Other than that he's not Mark Sanchez, I can't think of any reason.

Ftr I know there's nothing wrong with going back before this past season to compare the two. But that's ALL you seem to have focused on in talking about Flacco.

#107 Big Blocker, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. reverseapachemaster

I think Flacco is the better QB today but over time Sanchez has more growth opportunity. Flacco has a great offense around him. I'm not so sure he even does as well as Sanchez did last year if Flacco had to deal with the same crappy offense the Jets did last year. So if the Jets bring the offense together this season I could see Sanchez edging out Flacco.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Sanchez is #6 overall in post season QB rating in NFL history at 94.3. Flacco? #45 at 70.4.

Evidence that Sanchez gets it done in the post season while Flacco does not. Post season > regular season. It shows what a QB is really made of and its why I say that he has a higher ceiling than Flacco. Flacco chokes in the playoffs almost every year.

#109 Barcs, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm still a believer in Sanchez. I'm especially excited to see what he does now that Schotty is gonzo

11. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

What does Sanchez get done in the playoffs that Flacco doesn't?

Flacco has more post season wins than Sanchez and neither QB has won a conference championship or Super Bowl title.

Post season is not more important than the regular season if you can't get there. After last season, you should understand that.

12. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

That's a specious argument. If your quarterback's play is so poor, and limiting, to the team's offensive success during the regular season, that other units on the team have to over perform to carry him to the playoffs, pointing to just the quarterback's postseason success doesn't really make your case.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Sanchez has a better win % and Sanchez actually always plays well in postseason something Joe never really did until the NE game.

14. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

"Always plays well" in the playoffs?

Did he play well in the Chargers game where he went 12/23, 100 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT for a QB rating of 60.0?

If it weren't for Greene rushing for 128 yards and Kaeding missing 3 FG's, the Jets would have lost and Sanchez crucified for his poor play.

Even in his best playoff game versus the Pats, the Jets defense was responsible for that win, not the play of Sanchez.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Absolutely he played well at SD. His #s weren't great but he made big plays to help us win. #s never tell the whole story and clearly you are looking at the boxscore w/o having watched that game.

Sanchez badly outplayed the best QB of this generation at Fozboro in that 2010 div rd win.

16. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Neither Flacco nor Sanchez has been asked to do much in the playoffs. I was mostly referring to their complete body-of-work. And as Big Blocker pointed out, you're kind of applying a double standard to this argument whether you realize it or not.

I have no vested interest here... I don't have a horse in this race. I'm just giving you an honest opinion, and one that the majority of NFL fans would agree with outside of NY. Sanchez may have a higher ceiling, but right now, Flacco is a better QB.

Well, Sanchez ranks ahead of the following players in postseason QBR (no specific list or order here, I'm just kind of picking names at random):

Eli Manning
    Peyton Manning
    Troy Aikman
    Tom Brady
    Brett Favre
    Ben Roethlisberger
    John Elway
    Dan Marino
    Phil Simms
    Jim Kelly
    Roger Staubach

There are more, but I'm guessing you're going to get the point here. There are multiple Hall of Fame QBs on that list, and a few who will be eventually be there also. Even just the guys I listed have combined for nearly 20 Super Bowl rings. QBR isn't a meaningless stat, but it's not what you want to hang your hat on here.

17. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

All due credit to Sanchez, but I'm not sure "badly outplayed" is completely accurate there Junc.

Sanchez was 16/25 for 194 yards and 3 TDs. Career game for him.

Brady was 29/45 for 299 yards, with 2 TDs and the one INT on the Pats' first drive.

The Jets won that game because of a great defensive game-plan and a very opportunistic offense. If you remember, they got the ball deep inside NE territory on the punt fake that Chung botched, and then Cothery had a 60-yard catch and run at one point to set up another TD.

Again, not trying to take anything away from Sanchez. He showed a ton of poise in that game, and I remember thinking, "Uh-oh... if he can play this way more often, the Jets are really going to give the Pats a run for their money the next few years." But it's not like Brady stunk the joint out. He was also facing a defense that was light years ahead of what Sanchez was facing.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

One advantage Flacco had over Sanchez: He didn't have to suffer from the offensive treachery that is Brian Schottenheimer. :lol:

19. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

One day, our children's grandchildren will use the term "schottenheimered" to describe the concepts of regression and failure. :wink:

I have a feeling you guys will love Sporano. At least he won't be predictable. Schotty's play calls were easier to see through than glass.

20. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Stop with this fucking post-season argument. "Post-season" contains less games than "regular season" and you have to get to the post-season to alter your stats - something that Sanchez didn't do last season.