Sanchez or Flacco?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 16, 2012.

?

Who would you choose to Start for the Jets?

1. Mark Sanchez

55.8%
  2. Joe Flacco

36.8%
  3. Tim Tebow

7.4%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You can argue stats all you want, but I just use my eyes. Also, is it fair to count last year against Sanchez with all the issues the Jets had? (Schotty, Holmes, Average D, No Running Game) His first 2 years he went to 2 title games and was a big part of the Jets winning key playoff games. I watch Flacco and I have no confidence at all that he will deliver. With Sanchez, I worry about what is around him causing him to fail more than he, himself failing.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Dude look at Flacco's regression in year 4. He was marginally better than Sanchez, who ALSO had to deal with substantial change in receivers, so you can't use that as an excuse. Sanchez improved despite everything else going wrong. I see Sanchez as having more potential in the long run and a higher ceiling than Flacco. Sanchez hasn't yet regressed a season here, even with his terrible end to last year he still improved overall.

#62 Barcs, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

My guess is that with the change in offensive philosophy Sanchez grows. Add to that the abbreviated pre-season last year and you are looking at a QB who is in his 4th playing year but only his 3rd real training camp/learning session. At the end of the day I look at playoff wins. The Giants didn't have that great of a regular season and look where they ended up. Twice. Get Sanchez to the dance and my money is on him. Give him a home game or two (direct reflection of the regular season) and we go to the dance.

I, personally, think we see a far better QB this year but that, like anything else, is "wait and see".

4. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

How can you possibly say Sanchez improved last year?

He was in the bottom 25% of NFL QB's in completion percentage, YPA and QB rating.

Not to mention he ranked #2 in total QB turnovers and ranked dead last in 3rd down completion percentage at 34.4%.

And when the Jets needed him the most, to win one out of the final 3 games, he crapped his pants going 0-3 down the stretch and playing very poorly.

Seriously, where did Sanchez "improve overall" last year?

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

LMAO@ anyone who thinks the Jets win the division with Flacco. Maybe in 2009 but in 2010 and 2011 the Patriots were out of control.

I dont think Eli, Ben,Ryan, etc. win the division if they were the QBs in 2010 and 2011. Well maybe Eli, because he seems to have the Patriots # and could of potentially swept em if he was here.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Went from being one of the worst redzone teams to #1. The team around him though got much worse and you cant deny that. The run game sucked last year, the defense couldnt get key stops ever especially in the Patriots games. His Oline regressed completely. Everything around him got worse while statistically he got better. 32 TD he had last year.

7. The Dark Knight

No one has mentioned that each QB is pretty much equal, but Flacco has played 4 years to Sanchez's 3. A main argument for Flacco seems to be his Year 4 improvement, which Sanchez has not even been given a chance to play yet. Also, Flacco was not that great against the Texans (A Top D) actually he was terrible. Then people said he finally played a good playoff game vs. the Patriots, which is true, but they were the #31 ranked Defense in the NFL.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Flacco regressed in year 4, you cant deny. The only thing that made him look better was because he got to the AFC championship, but even in the game against the Texans he flat out sucked! If they had a worthy opponent like the Steelers from the year before, they would have lost.

The AFC as a whole regressed. The final 4 in 2010 was MUCH better than the final 4 in 2011. And I think the Ravens blew it big time, because I doubt they will be seeing a 3rd string QB again in a divisional round playoff game. Unreal honestly.

9. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you! GO JETS!!!!!!

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You didn't know? There's no way Sanchez could ever improve his game over the final 4 games of the 2011 season.

11. The Dark Knight

Hahaha well you could argue he has already improved by not playing yet.

12. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Flacco's completion percentage is a product of him having the best receiving runningback in the game right now who gets open in the flat like its nothing. So stop citing that as a reason he's waaay better than Sanchez because you're making yourself sound ridiculous. "Look at the numbers!!!", thats like saying Jordy Nelson is a way better receiver than Santana Moss because he had more receptions.

13. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

In a few cherry picked stats.

He improved in yardage...but only because he only played one series of the 2010 finale and didn't attempt a pass. Had he played that game, he likely would've finished with more yardage in 2010 than 2011. He had more yardage through 15 games in 2010.

He improved in completion percentage...but partially because he set the bar so low and mainly because he ran a completely underneath offense. I have more respect for Flacco's poor completion percentage last year because at least there was some level of difficulty to a fair amount of his throws.

He dropped in YPA.

Increased his touchdowns...and even though that's partially because the Jets called more passing plays in the red zone to make up for the lack of a running back who can finish drives, I'll give him credit for making the throws.

Increased his turnovers.

Increased QB rating to a still very modest 78.2, mainly because of the increase in touchdowns. Should be in the 80s with 8 more touchdowns than picks but wasn't because he just so inaccurate.

#73 BrucekilledBoomer, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  14. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

I'm NOT the one who makes the claim on another MB that Eli isn't "that good" because he hasn't necessarily put up big #s in the regular season.

If Sanchez is better than Flacco in the playoffs, then Eli is elite.

15. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Like Sanchez did in Miami this past January?

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I said Eli isn't elite, I didn't say he isn't good. He's very good now just not great.

Mark's D's never played as well as Eli's in their 2 SB runs.

how does Sanchez being beter than Flacco in postseason have anything to do w/ whether Eli is elite?

17. nyjunc

as a Bills fan you may not know this but the Playoffs start the 2nd weekend of january. When referring to january I am referring to postseason(a bunch of games teams play in to determine the champion of the league).

18. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

You don't think the Jets D played well in Foxboro 2 years ago?

19. nyjunc

that game? they were great but in the 2 title games? they weren't unlike Eli's Ds(and STs which won the SF game)

20. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Haters gon' hate, thats all this comes down to. When a guy that people hate has a bad year, he'll get demolished. If and when he breaks out, haters gon' hate even more. So get used to it folks.