Why Yes, I would Trade Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

so you also feel that the jets should honor all the deals they sign too? i mean how often does the team drop the guy as his contract gets toward the end? just about every time. that is why i have no problem with any player flexing his muscle whenever he can. rarely does a player have the ability to turn the tables on the douchebags who fuck them on a yearly basis.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a point here and it's an important one.

That said, when the douchebags get screwed so do we.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Are you familiar with the concept of guaranteed money in a contract?

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Will Revis Show Up?

If this is here somewhere already, sorry...

Doubt grows that Darrelle Revis will show up to Jets’ training camp

When we last heard from Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, he was refusing to answer whether he would show up to the start of training camp. With the Jets’ veterans set to report in ten days, we still don’t know whether Revis will be there.

But there seems to be plenty of doubt around the NFL about whether Revis is willing to show up to camp on time without a raise, with Chris Mortensen saying on ESPN Radio that it will be a surprise if Revis is there on Day One.

Revis’s status for 2012 has been a question almost from the day he ended his previous holdout and signed his current contract in 2010. That four-year contract was structured to pay Revis most of the money over the first two years of the deal, and Revis said that if he kept playing like one of the top cornerbacks in football for the first two years of the deal, he’d expect the Jets to give him a raise. Now Revis has held up his end of it by continuing to play like one of the top cornerbacks in football.

The Jets, however, are probably going to be a lot less willing to re-do Revis’s deal than they were two years ago. There reaches a point when a team simply has to tell a player that he’s going to have to play under the contract he agreed to, and the Jets may have decided that that point with Revis is now.

And if that’s the case, this could be a protracted problem for a team that has insisted it needs to eliminate off-field distractions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lle-revis-will-show-up-to-jets-training-camp/

5. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

I think he shows to training camp on time, plays out the year under contract and holds us up next year for the big bucks...I think he deserves the money and will get it, but he just held out for this contract 2 off seasons ago for the contract he has now that was front loaded. I think the media will say anything to get you to listen...he was a OTAs he will be at camp, but dont be suprized when he has his hand out next year wanting the biggest contract of his career(that he earned.)

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You know...here's what I can't fathom...the last time Revis missed camp a bit he was injured right out the gate and missed the next couple of games. The front office types KNOW this is an issue so why do they not deal with it now? This is not a Jets thing...this is an NFL thing. It really boggles my mind. They always pander the company line about "everyone getting to camp on time." Yet, they know this can and most likely WILL be a problem so deal with it while there's still 10 days on the books for pete's sake!!

My bet is he doesn't show the first day. Period.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The media isn't going to let go of this non-story until they have something real to write about. Thanks Cimini.

8. mezzavo

I hear what you are saying my man...but was does 2 years ago matter? He held out his rookie year as well...so...what's to stop him this year. These guys KNOW they can go down instantly with a career ending injury. He will get his money this year...I'd be fall down dead shocked if he comes to camp and goes into this season without a new deal.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Really? You realize the Jets can't do anything with the deal this year, right? The cap prevents them from redoing his contract or trading him until next year. The Jets know this, Revis knows this, his agents know this and I'll bet the guy that started this whole non-story, Cimini, knows it too.

Revis is not holding out unless he and his agents are complete morons. Since we know that not to be the case, there's nothing to worry about.

His agents probably put Cimini up to starting this non-story to start turning up the heat for next years deal.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The real world, again. Thanks, LTJF.

11. mezzavo

Wait...was that something in the new CBA that I absolutely missed? The CAP is what it is and we are some $5.x million under the cap. The CAP can be managed...I've not heard of anything that says he can't hold out for more coin. Educate me please...I must be missing something.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He will show up I bet my left nut

13. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

You did watch the Jets this year right? Did you not see the noticable drop off from Mangold to Baxter? You would be hard pressed to see that drop off if Revis holds out again (Mort is reporting is a very real possability) from Wilson and Cro. So yes, I am still of the mind-set that a CB's is one of the LEAST important positions (still important as it is a team game) but it does not garner the type of $ that #24 is looking for. HONOR YOUR DEAL! The Jets HONORED their part and overpaid his value the past two years.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Because he was paid out a huge amount of bonus money that was prorated against future years of the cap. If they do a new deal all that prorated money accelerates to this year and next year.

There is also a no-holdout clause in the contract he signed but I believe that to be bullshit.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

For the reasons LTJF brought up, I don't intend to waste space on the what if Revis does not show up argument.

But the notion that the Jets would not suffer much if they did not have Revis is ridiculous. We all get that Wilson was a number 1 pick, and Cro is one of the better players on the team. But Wilson has not shown yet that he deserved to be a #1 pick, and more importantly than that the #3 cb is the most important bench player on the D. Who moves up to that slot if Revis does not play and Wilson starts?

Another thing is it's one thing for Wilson to play the opponent's #3 wideout. It's another for him to play man coverage on one of their starting receivers.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Way to bury this thread! This has absolutely nothing to do with trading Revis.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'm pretty sure he posted it in its own thread. This Revis crap is getting old. OMG He hasn't yet answered yes or no, so that means he's holding out!!! That article is pretty much useless.

18. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

What puts Revis in an almost impregnable position is that the Jets defense is sort of inverted with its strength being its CBs rather than its DL or LBs. If Revis holds out, he sinks the Jets D because they are dependent upon his talent, and he knows that. The question, does he care?

IMO, if he thinks the Jets are seriously improved, he'll show up. If he thinks the issues on offense preclude another playoff run, then I think he'll go for the big $$$ and hold the Jets ransom.

Arguing that Revis knows that the Jets don't have the cap space to give him a fat raise isn't going to move him if he's bent on another big pay day. The cap space is NOT immutable. If the Jets cut some players, they'd have room to give Revis his raise. That might be what he's thinking.

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Oh ok, we have judges here who decide what is worth a thread.

I'm sorry, but if Mortenson is reporting Revis isn't likely to report, then there's a good chance he won't.

20. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

This story was dead for a while, and now it's resurfaced which should be troubling for Jets fans. Maybe it's a slow news day -- or maybe where there's smoke, there's fire.