Is Rex on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bellows1, Jun 29, 2012.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Some questions don't require elaborate answers.

No.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Perhaps a better question is if the Jets have a below .500 season this coming year, who should take the responsibility for that more, Ryan or Tanny?

3. xxedge72x

That can't be answered now.

4. Big Blocker

True.

How about, who do you think will be more likely to be responsible if the Jets finish below .500, Ryan or Tanny?

5. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

That's a good question. Right now, I would say Tanny, because I think the personnel is more the problem than any aspect of coaching.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think Chan Gailey gets fired. You see with analyst praising comes very high expectations and when the Bills fail to make the playoffs yet again and the Bills go 7-9 or 6-10 the coaches head will roll.

The jets have no pressure on them there is zero expectations of them so they make the playoffs Ryan gets an extension. They struggle they were supposed to.

7. xxedge72x

I think its highly likely it would be Tanny. Ryans defenses are ranked well and he's popular. Successful aspects of the Jets are more tangible with Rex than they are with Tannenbaum. Assuming things stay as they've been I'd predict Tanny gets shit canned first.

8. Big Blocker

Me too. In other words, and going to the OP on this thread, Tanny imo is actually more on the hot seat than Ryan. Going forward it will especially be the way things go rather than necessarily the overall record. For example if the team holds together, no locker room controversies, but is nonetheless mediocre, that will be put mostly on Tanny.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would hope they would demote or change his duties than to actually fire the guy. Tanny despite not being the best talent evaluator is a beast at cap management

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Rex really shouldn't be on the hot seat this year. He's the only coach we've had that has evened us up with NE in the last 12 years. Last year was a stepback, but I fully believe he will respond this year. I expect us to split with the Pats this year and we may even sneak into the playoffs. I see us going anywhere from 7-9 to 10-6 this year, so anything is possible and I fully expect him to be back in 2013.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's really hard to fire the GM and keep the coach. It happens occasionally but generally the coach is gone in a few seasons or less anyway.

The guy that it would be most useful to fire in most cases is the owner but he's never on the hot seat.

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Great post. So, Sooooooo true.

13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

He could be after this year, is he now, no.

14. Big Blocker

I don't have any stats or similar info available, but I would guess HC's turnover more quickly than GM's. But... here we are talking about a GM who has been with the team 6 years while the HC has only been with the team 3.

Looking back over the last six years, I would hardly go so far as to say Tanny has been uniformly terrible. Of course not. But some of the successes people give him credit for came at a cost of lost picks while he traded up. The net effect has been that the Jets are too thin on the roster, and simultaneously have failed to develop a decent pass rush, a dependable RB corps, and in recent years developing solid linemen on both sides of the ball (although Wilkerson and Coples may be changing that trend). And of course a dependable Qb.

The GM is usually the one who takes the blame for roster problems, or should be the one. What we don't know here is how much Tanny gets a pass for decisions that Woody actually made, or how many of those there were/are. For example I can't think of any good coming out of the Tebow trade, the only question being how well the Jets can limit the damage of that move. If that blows up, though, who takes the blame? Maybe no one if Woody was, as I suspect, the prime mover behind that decision.

But on your point, I think Ryan has yet to show he is incapable of moving up to the next level. But for Tanny, unless some of his recent picks start showing a level of ability more than just barely acceptable considering where they were picked, he should be judged harshly.

15. Br4d

Rex probably shouldn't take the fall if the Jets have a bad season next year. The Jets aren't running on empty but they're definitely in decline at this point, largely due to personnel decisions made that pointed really hard at the opening of the PSL era in the new stadium.

The fact that the Jets did a bad job of drafting for top level talent from 2001 to 2010 certainly plays into the dynamic also. There are two ways to build a great NFL franchise. You can either accumulate some star level players at the positions of greatest impact or you can acquire a superstar QB and layer in decent to good players all around him.

The competing visions of how to be competitive are well expressed by the Steelers and Ravens (multiple star level players) and the Patriots and Saints (great QB with decent to good players around him.)

The Jets basically have a decent although thin roster without the star QB. They seem to have had goggle glasses on when the class on how to win it all was held and they saw "Superstar CB with decent to good players around him" instead of "Superstar QB with decent to good players around him."

16. Big Blocker

I have more of a problem with the quality of too many picks along with the failure to shore up the OL and find a better pass rusher than with some esoteric concern about "strategy". At the time of the Sanchez pick, for example, I had concerns that it was a reach. The kid had hardly played much in college, let alone was less than totally impressive as a candidate to start in the NFL right away. Yet what we heard from the CS and FO was that they had total confidence in Sanchez. Well, that has not worked out all that well, of course.

But we don't even have to go back to the Sanchez pick. To my mind the failure of Tanny and his people to address the OL issues this off season is inexcusable. We are to expect Hunter to play much better, Ferguson as well, Mangold to avoid injury, Slauson to improve, VD to step it up, and not need any other help? ALL of those things can be expected?

Very risky NON approach to the OL, if you ask me.

17. blEEdgrEEnaLLyEEr

blEEdgrEEnaLLyEEr New Member

In my honest opinion. Ryan needs to have two disastrous seasons to lose his job, by disastrous I mean 2 seasons with no more then 4 wins. And that I do not see happening. His ability as a defending coordinator/coach is more then enough to keep us at a .500 or above team each year.

This might be a fantasy more then anything else, but I'm confident in saying that with the changes he's made since coming here, and the picks and decisions he's made in the draft this year and the previous year he has improved our defense and insured their solid play for years to come. He lives by the theory that defense is where games are won, coming from Baltimore, he should. This is why I think hes been rebuilding our defense with the last 2 drafts. He got the Jets younger, faster, stronger and better educated in the game of football. Offense comes secod to him. Now that hes pretty much done with the D, he can focus on the offense. Obvious need for safeties in next draft. Nothing else in the defensive side if Mo, Coples, Maybin all turn out to be what theyre expected to be, were right where we wanna be. Next year he pics up a set of solid safeties in the draft, maybe a CB for safety measures, and fills the gaps in the offensive line and I have a good feeling that well be attending the big game very soon. In my mind, on what he's accomplished until now alone, gets him till 2014 to get us the Lombardi trophy.

18. Br4d

Sanchez is a small part of the talent decisions the Jets have made since 2001. You can make a strong argument that the only plus players the Jets have taken in the 1st round since 2001 are Jonathan Vilma, Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis. D'Brick is kind of edgy in terms of being in that category in my opinion and nobody else belongs there.

That's why the Jets aren't competitive at the highest levels. It's why they keep having to fill holes with decent to good journeyman free agents.

19. Big Blocker

Sanchez is more relevant because his pick occurred on Tanny's watch, was a reach and it took trading picks away to get him at #5. I don't disagree that after Revis Mangold and Vilma, the first round picks have not been great.

20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

What planet are you living on? There are no expectations for the Jets?

Maybe the national media doesn't have big expectations for them, but the organization and fan base has high expectations. And if they regress again this year heads will roll.