What is your biggest concern heading into Training Camp?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The huge difference in your argument between Faneca/Slauson and Hunter are the positions that they play. You can hide or cover up a guard that has trouble in pass protection because you've got 2 players on either side of him and he's playing in a phone booth. A bad tackle is a bad tackle. You're not going to cover for him unless you plan to keep a TE on the line on most plays. The rest of the line cannot pick up the slack for a bad, immobile tackle.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Kurt, at the southern end of Cayuga Lake is Ithaca, smallish college town. If you visit, check out The Commons.

Buttermilk Falls is in Ithaca too, nice scenic place.

About 15 miles up the left side of the lake (western side) is Taughannock Falls State Park.

http://www.taughannock.com/

Plus a ton of wineries.

3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

consistent pass rush. alot of turnover in the secondary and if we cant get to the QB i can see it being problems. i love what maybin did, hopefully he can keep it up...

but i see pace as continuing to slow down and battle injuries and couples as an enormous bust

4. Thanks for the info( Thanks to RochesterJet as well). I'm hoping to run into some of you "upstaters" at TC.

5. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Yes, the rest of the line can make up for a tackle that is still getting his feet wet.... Just look at Brick last year when the rest of the OL crumbled - What was he doing - he was doing whatever he can to hold his own AND cover guys next to him.... If the Guard next to you is a sieve you are in trouble - The Guard next to Hunter had shoulder issues then the Center was banged and then the guard next to him has issues - THE ENTIRE LINE CRUMBLED - Hunter was the new guy.

With the Center and 2 guards banged up, Hunter is out on an island (like we heard Rex say often this offseason) - Obviously you know more than Rex because you seem to feel like Tackles are ALWAYS on an island!!!!!! not true at all.

And yeah, if your Tackle is having issues with a Premier Pass rusher like Demarcus Ware then yeah, you Scheme against it - You have to - We have seen Pittsburgh do it for years - The Patriots do it while filling in no names at tiems as do the Giants....

The Offense as a unit depends on many pieces working in conjuction and the Jets did a poor job in coaching IMO along with Play calling that helps the overall situation...

The disconnect between Shottenheimer and what was good for this offense, offensive line and Sanchez runs deep - Deeper than some Schottenheimer haters even admit or understand - its greater than just his crappy play calling.

**** Didn't realize I was responding to a Bills fan here - I don't do that....

I frequent a lot of boards and I come here to talk to JETS FANS - We can bicker and debate enough from our point of view here and that's why I'm here.

I go elsewhere to discuss the NFL with all other fans..... I would never waste my time on a Bills, Pats or Fins fan board trying to teach or tell them something about their own team and I don't come here to listen to it either.....

Heck, I lived in Buffalo - I have plenty of Bills fan friends that I repect where I can discuss the Jets from a Bills POV all day.

Not here - IMO, wrong time and place.

Carry on.

#65 Jet Blue, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Good post. A lot of our O line success this year depends upon health and probably Moore's health in particular. He had no push last year. In run blocking he was as bad as it gets. I expect Mangold and our left 2 to play better this year for sure. If Moore stays healthy Hunter will play better as well.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand and do not disagree with those who cite the OL as their main concern, but as much as that is a concern, my main concern is going to be the balance in plays between Sanchez and Tebow, which of course subsumes the playcalling and overall offensive approach.

I can't make sense of what I hear out of the organization on this subject, and so for me it is the biggest concern.

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez and whether he'll finally develop and become more than a average qb.

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

What worries me this pre-season:

1) Hunter & incapable backups weighing down the OL --> hopefully, we'll see start to see more plays where TE (not named Keller) are chipping at DL before going out on passes to help out ... and more plays where TE (not named Keller) are staying back to help double-team and assist the tackles.

2) Sanchez/Tebow ... If Mark sucks in training camp this is gonna turn into one big cluster-fuck & media/fan pressure will be relentless.

3) LB speed. Lots of talk how Bart has lost weight but I'm not so sure it's gonna help much. Hoping he proves me wrong.

4) Did Maybin gain weight? Hopefully, he'll be stout enough to play on more than just obvious passing situations. As long as he can't play the run & Bart can't play the pass, Brady will be killing Jets D with no-huddle in crucial situations.

5) We'll see if the change in blocking scheme is actually a good thing.

6) Hopefully, one of the many RB Jets take every draft will actually step up and show us something this pre-season. Enough to give us confidence he can rotate w/ Greene.

===
    Looking forward to:
    - The first 3 draft picks, especially DeMario Williams because he'll have a huge impact on next season's drafting strategy.
    - Offense with a new OC. We've spent years going back & forth on Schotty but he's not gonna be here to kick around if the offense fails big time this season. I'm looking forward to a more vertical offensive scheme.
    - New Defensive schemes with the infusion of talent on the DL line. Wilkerson on year#2 and addition of Coples will be exciting.
    - Seeing some improvement in Kyle Wilson.
    - Kerley's improvement. I'm a believer in him and expect he'll be able to step up this season (starting from training camp).

10. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I'm not quite sure about your argument. You say that the rest of an o-line can make up for a tackle that is getting his feet wet, and then support that by using an example of a tackle helping out a guard?

I'm not saying that tackles are always on an island - they're not. I already stated that you can help a bad tackle by using a tight end of having a back chip. But if you think its wise, acceptable, or productive to use the rest of your o-line to cover up for a bad tackle, while also holding them responsible for their own jobs, in every game for an entire season then I'm not sure how to respond.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh FFS...

My biggest concern is Wayne Hunter. First offensive play last season was as bad as bad omens get. I'm praying for a miracle.

12. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

My biggest concern is the backfield it seems very pedestrian. I don't feel like we have that dominant back for the ground and pound.

13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

This post......AND the Offensive line.

If, at the end of the season, we are able to all agree that the O-line played great throughout the entire season, then I see no reason why this team could not have a run deep in the playoffs.

14. reverseapachemaster

In addition to the O line this is also a big concern in my book. I'm not convinced Greene is #1 RB material. He seems useless on passing plays. Certainly can't catch for piss and doesn't seem to be a solid and consistent blocker. If he can't get it together this year it might be time to put him back in the #2 slot.

15. kellypkjoe

kellypkjoe New Member

Tebow Tebow Tebow screwing up fans and god forbid being are QB Also RT

16. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

my biggest concerns are the OL, sanchez, and the pass rush actually. i know we drafted coples, demario davis, and mo wilk is doing better, but I can't fully cross it off my list of problems solved unless I see it in padded practice.

I'm extremely nervous for this season because I'm confident. My friends are either giants fans, patriots fans, saints fans, and 1 titans fan. Minus the Titans fans, they all have something to brag about and bash me constantly for being a jets fan. I told them the jets will be good this year, I just really hope I didnt lie. Its embarrassing..

17. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

My concern is Sanchez should be focusing on football rather than dating Eva Longoria.

18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

OLine and Laron Landry (will he be healthy all season?)

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm concerned about Holmes and his interaction with Sparano. This guy has become a cancer in the locker room and now we know he cannot handle the New York media. So we have all that going on. Plus an very inexpierence wide receiver corp after him and this could be a huge problem. We know Holmes wants his touches and we just imported a QB in Tebow who cannot throw at all and it could get ugly quick. Rex I think is too much of a player friendly coach to be the disciplinarian now.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The offensive line is weaker right now going into camp than it has been at any point since the Jets signed Kevin Mawae in 1998. It wasn't this weak in 2007 because Kendall was there right up to the moment the Jets traded him late in camp and sealed their fate for the season.

This is a major problem. If the Jets RT sucks this season they will likely do no better than they did last year in term of protecting the QB and enabling an acceptable rushing attack. The fact that the Jets are going to a new system would normally be an additional drag on their chances but it seemed like most of the WR's and the RT didn't understand the system last year so I think we can give that factor a pass for now.

The scariest thing about 2012 is that the Jets FO still has not learned that the offensive line is a key factor in any successful outcome the Jets are likely to have next season. They haven't learned this despite the fact that all of their horrific seasons since 2001 have had bad lineplay at one or more positions as a key factor in the collapse.

2002 - The Jets are forced to start J.P. Machado due to a training camp injury for Dave Szott and struggle out to 2-5 at the start. They're 7-7 when Szott comes back and win 3 of 4 after that point in their surprising run that year. Machado starts a total of 3 more games in his career in the NFL but the 12 he was forced to start in 2002 almost sink the Jets.

2003 - The Jets lose Randy Thomas in free agency and are forced to start a 30 year old vet with bad knees at RG. They go 6-10 that year largely due to Micheal Barrow blowing by the RG in training camp and fracturing Chad Pennington's wrist. Brent Smith starts only 30 games in a 5 year career but the 16 he starts for the Jets in 2003 really hurt them.

2005 - The Jets start Adrian Jones at LT for 16 of the 26 games he starts in his career. He's not up to the task but Fabini and Mawae getting hurt make it all academic anyway. Jets collapse pitifully.

2007 - The Jets start Adrien Clarke at LG for 14 of the 18 games of his 2 year NFL career. 'nuff said.

2011 - The Jets start Wayne Hunter for 16 of the 21 games he has started in a 7 year career and he is terrible. The offense looks unstable all season and by th end of the year Mark Sanchez isn't even trying to setup in the pocket he's just getting rid of the ball as quickly as he can, leading to several interceptions by defensive linemen after having had none taken that way in his first two seasons.

Every time the Jets have started a bad offensive lineman they have hated the results in the end and yet here we are on the verge of camp and Wayne Hunter is the starting RT going in despite having one of the worst seasons a Jets offensive linemen has had.

#80 Br4d, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012