Is Rex on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bellows1, Jun 29, 2012.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I suspect the Jets will have a winning record (10-6 is my guess) and if so, he won't be on the hot seat.

However, if the Jets finish under .500 and the same type of lockerroom stuff happens, or the Tebow/Sanchez situation becomes toxic, many here who are pledging lifelong support for Rex will be singing a very different tune I suspect.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

It's pretty much the reason very few teams have consistent success. They are always firing their coach every 3 years. I realize teams want instant results, but most of the time it still requires continuity to find consistent success.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's if Rex loses the locker-room for a second straight season - then Rex isn't who we thought he was

4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

i just dont get it. Rex has been the best thing for the JETS in a long time. IF we were to get destroyed this season, I wont see how he would get fired unless hes trapped in some dirty scandal.

5. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

comments like this one below I don't get...I've never seen someone get more praise for less-with the exception of tim tebow...amazing how Jets fan think this guy is Lombardi or something

#25 GRNYT, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  6. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

this is quote i was responding too...amazing how persona and a big mouth trumps actual results...just cause he made u feel good dont mean he is a good coach

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

You mean like really putting his foot in his mouth? Or someone else's?

8. sg3

sg3 Banned

After Rex hoists the Lombardi this February in NOLA, I suspect Mr J will reward him with a ten year deal

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

This is correct. I'd add that if Rex has another public episode where he embarrasses the franchise again, he'll be in trouble.

10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

No, Rex is the man. He can coach and act! Just saw that's my boy and it was a riot. Could not quit laughing. This was a big apology for jack and jill.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The guy went 9-7, 11-5, and 8-8. 4 playoff wins, 2 playoff losses, two playoff appearances. He should be on the hot seat after this?

The guy also changed the culture of the Jets and their fans. Oh and Woody loves all the attention he brings also.

What reason does he have to be on the hot seat currently? One 8-8 season?

If every coach was held to the standard of Lombardi then every coach would be on the hot seat this year.

12. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Knocking the Patriots out of the playoffs, in their house is reason enough for me to give him a couple more years. That was good coaching and team execution.
    I think he lost that focus last season, but has regained it now.

13. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Bleacher Report has Rex #2 on the hot seat:

2. Rex Ryan, New York Jets

Rex Ryan's act is beginning to get a little old in New York. Following a year of in-fighting and a misfiring offense, Ryan now has a divided and aging squad that can no longer back up his brash claims.

Ryan has constructed the New York Jets to win now, but the team that made it to consecutive AFC Championship Games following the 2009 and 2010 seasons now seems beset by major problems in crucial areas. Quarterback Mark Sanchez seems to have taken a big step back in his development and Ryan's defense has gotten old at key positions.

There may simply be too much to do return the Jets to Super Bowl contention in 2012. If Ryan can't address the issues amongst the team, the fans and press will likely start to call loudly for his head.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-head-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-in-2012/page/10

14. MikeJetsWord

MikeJetsWord New Member

This is exactly what I am thinking as well. I think they got cocky and complacent last year. It seems like they are way more focused this time around. That can only be a good thing.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Not attacking you Patsfan, just the article here:

Divided, aging squad? Sanchez, Greene, Mangold, Slauson, Brick, Harris, Coples, Wilkerson, Cro, Revis, McKnight, Wilson, Kerley, Hill, Holmes are real old? Also who is divided? 99% chance the division left once Plax left.

Also they fail the mention the year of in-fighting and misfiring offense probably left them 2 plays away from making the playoffs. The media is acting like the 8-8 season was a 3-13 season which it was not. It was a mediocre season.

Tanny constructed this team.

Mark didn't take a step back, he just hasn't taken big steps forward.

What key positions on defense are the Jets old at? LB with Pace,Thomas, and Scott? That completely ignores the youth movement at DL.

Why should the fans and press calling for his head = hot seat? Decisions shouldn't be made by what the press or fans say.

Bad article. The media WANTS Rex to be on the hot seat because it would be perfect for them but that doesn't mean he IS on the hot seat.

#35 displacedfan, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ This +1. (esp. the 8-8 being treated like some 3-13 trainwreck part)

Rex on the hot seat? No.

As for the front office, no comment.

#36 joe, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  17. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

I think he gets one more year to see if he's on the hot seat or not.

18. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

No. Three years into being a HC and is 2-1 in making the playoffs and 8-8 isn't the disaster some pinheads are trying to make it out to be.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I imagine that the offspring of two crackheads with down syndrome could write a better article than anybody on bleacher report. Probably why you gravitate towards br

20. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

YahooSports and ProFootballTalk have also said the exact same thing about Rex and the Jets.