Revis. Sends chills....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

2. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

people on here can say what they want about him being selfish because of his prior holdout and the possibility of him doing it again, but when youre the best in your craft, you deserve that kind of money...

greatest corner of all time!...and will go down as the greatest Jet in history.

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Honestly, I'm not sure if Revis should be #5 in the entire NFL. He's one of the best to ever play the position, but I think other players should be ahead of him.

4. osully55

osully55 Member

there was a stat posted on here months ago about revis holding a ridiculous list of the best wrs in the league to like 70 yards. anyone know what im talking about?

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Sometimes when watching games, I'll just watch Revis for a drive or series of plays. It's fun to watch and he definitely is one of the most physical corners in the league on both run and pass plays

6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Corners shouldn't make pass rusher/QB money.

Most fans can't even name the 2 starting corners for either team in the SB last year.

I hate having so much cap space tied up at CB. So Revis shuts down one option, they still have plenty more. The Giants have proved yet again that the best pass defense is a pass rush.

I love Revis but if we pay him QB/Pass rusher money I'll be pissed, unless we dump Cro. $8 mill a year to cover a teams #2 WR, who's likely making at most, half of what Cro is.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The thing is if you don't have a pass rush, like we haven't the past two years, you better have something on defense to make it good. Currently that is Revis and Cro. If Coples/Wilkerson/LBs/ etc can generate a pass rush, there will be less need to overpay Revis and the Jets will have leverage.

I trust Rex could make a solid defense without Revis or a pass rush, but you are putting him in a real hole that way.

Another option is our offense gets good enough to give our defense breaks. I think this is the least likely scenario.

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

That was a fabulous video!!! Of course I had to check out the Rex Ryan movie clips...HI-larious!!! "Just the right amount of scruff". LOL!!!

9. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Reminds me why we have to keep him.

11. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

He is absolutely the best we have and a lot of fun to watch, but is he worth 1 Mil. a game?

12. Bob Robbins

Bob Robbins New Member

Great clip, thanks for the share. I had heard he made #5 but I hadn't seen the footage.

13. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Hes the best pay the man. Consider it an investment like a PSL. :beer:

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I agree, if we can generate a pass rush with Mo, Coples, and Maybin the need for high paid CBs drops considerably.

15. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Disagree the secondary needs a leader and an anchor. Revis is the man and fills the duty nicely. I cant imagine this defense without him.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Revis is pretty much a more physical Deion Sanders. People seriously need to stop downplaying his contributions to our team as if Coples playing well will get rid of the need for Revis. Shutdown corner is the staple to our defense and stopping elite passing games as well as the key to our ability to blitz often. Stop being silly.

17. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Like I said, I like Revis, he's the best in the game right now, but he's not Deion Sanders good.

18. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Deion was excellent, but his persona/reputation made him larger than life.

Revis is a superior player. Equivalent coverage skills in a more complete package.

19. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

what makes you say that? All the rules are slanted towards the offense now. Its even more of a passing league than it was in Deion's day. Yet Revis routinely dominates elite NFL wr's like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald. I mean the guy shows up and kicks their ass every freaking week.

Deion was the original shutdown corner. Revis is the only reason the term still exists. I think Revis' best season (09) was better than Deion's DPOY (96) year.

But as of right now, Deion did it for longer. If Revis keeps doing this at his ridiculous level for another 3+ years, I think he takes the spot of greatest corner ever.

20. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

thats much simpler than what I said. Deion was an equal as far as coverage goes, but Revis is twice as physical and can actually tackle.

Deion was an electric PR guy and has a persona of ridiculousness that makes him seem so much larger than life. That said, give Revis Island a few years, he may get closer to Deion's persona, but he certainly won't ever match it.