Jets hidden treasure - WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

XYZ type of route calling originates from Gillman-Coryell system, does it not?

If what I remember is correct, Y is usually TE (could be a roving one, but still.) X refers to a split end, while Z refers to the flanker (which are all jumbled together in today's football as WIDE RECEIVER anyway...) so if you like Hill lining up at either split end position, I don't get how he is the Y. I don't see Hill lining up at LoS or "anywhere on the field" to create match up problem per se.

[YES. This is a mere technicality. Call me an asshole. Or whatever have you. Thank you.]

2. CHK

CHK Banned

I don't expect anything out of Hill this year...maybe some goal line targets just because of his height but that may not even happen given how frail he looks. He was a developmental pick. He could become a great player, but curb your expectations for the first couple years folks.

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think with his speed and size he could make a early impact. I do agree he needs to be coached up on route running.

Just his ability to get down-field in a hurry will help Mark substantially.

4. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Eron Riley, Jordan White , Damarcus Ganaway are some receivers that are under the radar as well and could be good value for us. I think are receiving Corps got substantially faster. Jordan White Ran like a 4.6 40 but he plays fast and could be like a J Cotchery for us. Ganaway and Riley run 4.4 and 4.3 40s so we got speed and Height

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Hah... I remember when good old RaiderJoe was high on Schilenzs and everyone here made fun of him. Let's see if he can remain healthy.

Ganaway and Riley? Really!? When was the deadline for the "Al Davis school of scouting" ? jeez...

6. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Speed is Speed... As I recall they beat us in our last Matchup with speed

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Almost any receiver with true speed (4.3-) REQUIRES the defense to keep a safety over the top, since most DB's can't keep up on fly patterns.

Revis has trouble with speed but gets away with it man to man by being EXCELLENT at jamming receivers at the LOS (something Deion phenomenal at as well). Watch Revis battle Dez time again, and Dez is twice Revis' size. By the time a receiver gets away from Revis and into his route his QB is on the ground.

But I digress.

Any of our young, FAST receivers will demand dbl team 80% of the time, something Burress NEVER demanded between the 20's.

This alone will keep a Safety occupied which will help the entire offense, including Greene.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You are correct.
    X- split end
    Z- flanker
    Y- tight end

I think Hill would be most effective in 2012 as a split end.

9. blEEdgrEEnaLLyEEr

blEEdgrEEnaLLyEEr New Member

Sent from my office using a keyboard[/QUOTE]

HahAhahahahha. That's just too funny. Good one. Lol

10. Professor Frink

LMAO

No.

If you think the only way to defend a fast receiver is by doubling him than you don't know anything about football. If a receiver can't effectively fight off a jam then it doesn't matter how fast he can run. You can also have the corner play off, remember, in the NFL the QB usually doesn't have more than three seconds to throw the ball.

It takes a hell of a lot more than straight-line speed to force the defense to react with a double-team.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Holmes is going to get double teamed simply because hes the only proven threat we have on offense.

If Hill starts getting double teamed, that means were gonna have a really dangerous offense for a while. If he doesnt then our offense is in serious trouble

But youre kidding if you think people will double team any of our other WRs.

Dont get me wrong I like the talent, but you dont double team those other guys

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Its really too bad the Jets will not be able to use all of their "hidden treasures" at WR (LOL) because of a terrible QB and o-line.

Hunter is the worst RT in football, and yet Ferguson gave up more sacks than him. I can't wait to watch those two against Mario Williams, Mario Anderson, Shawne Merriman and Chris Kelsay. I also can't wait to watch Slauson and Moore try and block Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus.

13. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I cant wait till we beat you guys in the playoffs...

Oh thats right, you guys have yet to make the playoffs in the 21st century

Dont worry, I got a feeling this is the year !

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

It’s funny hearing the words “terrible QB play” from a Bills fan... I guess you are still living in a dream world where your journeyman QB is worth every penny you paid him, huh?

Its funny how you can’t wait for your defense to match up against our offense, but if I remember correctly, the Jets defense was 5th in the NFL last year and as many expect look to be better going forward. Im sure you cant wait for that matchup either, right???

September 9th... The day Bills fans drop back to reality.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Sanchez may suck, but he is a starter quality QB nonetheless. Unlike that lifelong backup QB you got there in Buffalo - as in, Sanchez sucks so he posts 28-20 all time record (and 32-22 including the post-season) while that starter-impersonating imposter impressively posts 14-23 (Oh. He never played in the playoffs. My bad!)

#35 Zach, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I love the annual Bills fan that thinks they'll win more than 7 games. Enjoy the preseason! Once week 1 is over you'll be counting the days till the 2013 draft.

Too bad Mario signed with you guys, he doesn't realize he just ruined his career. His total pressure % has been nosediving without the Bills uni to screw it up.

17. The GM

The GM New Member

Schilens was a star in the making in Oakland.

The team was stubbornly devoted to DHB since it took him in the Top 10 and before Crabtree and didn't want him to bust and be the laughing stock of the NFL (perhaps it finally will pay off this season).
    The team lucked out tremendously with Denarius Moore.
    The team predictably drafted Jacoby Ford who is now the slot WR.
    The team drafted another Schilens-type WR because Schilens was struggling with injuries in Louis Murphy (who coincidentally has struggled with injuries).

Early on however, everyone was talking about how the Raiders finally found a gem at WR with Schilens combo of elite size and elite speed out of San Diego State. I was a big fan of his coming out for the draft and still believe in his potential. Not really a fit for a ground and pound offense since he won't hold up as a blocker, but you can view him as a Randy Moss-lite type when healthy. Really just a 6'4 deep threat who can make the spectacular catch and will run by anyone. If he's healthy, we'll have some really interesting 3 WR sets this season with 6'4 Hill and 6'4 Schilens on the outside with 5'11 Santonio in the slot especially in the red zone.

Add in Keller in the slot on the other side and we have a very advantageous red zone set. We just need Schilens to stay healthy and learn the offense. He'll get the 3rd best CB at best, which will usually mean advantage: Chaz.

One of the rare high upside, low risk pick ups we make. Maybin has been our version of that on defense. We now have a version of it on offense and hopefully it works out just as well or even better if we put him on the field enough to show us what he's got.

18. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Win a game first against us (for the first time in years), and THEN talk shit.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Who is Mario Anderson?

20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The Bills couldn't possibly walk into the Jets' house on opening day and win, could they? You'd better hope not.

The Jets will be favored. Home game, with everyone healthy. You'd better hope the Jets dont start the year losing to the Bills at home.

Sadly enough, for either team, a loss on opening day does not doom the Bills or Jets for the rest of the year.