Anyone Else Struggling To Get Back Into Football?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Italian Seafood, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't know, he was the demon du jour. Before him it was Herm, Chad, Mangini, they all went, we always find another demon.

I wouldn't say stomped. Series went six and we lost two OT games, easily could have been won or at least gone seven.

2. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

c'mon...you got stomped ; ), Marty stole a few for ya

3. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

My Jets obsession is always a 24-7-365 thing. Been a fan since birth. as much as I hate them sometimes, they are in my blood. I think I'm still hoping they will shock me and win a SB while my Dad's still alive.

#83 KWJetsFan, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

That would be great! My dad was born a couple of years after the Sox won in 1918 and passed away in 1987, the year after the Sox stomped on his heart one last time.

The Pats lost right before also... but they were so bad for most of 27 years that he was actually happy the at least got to a SB finally...

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I text a lot of people while watching the game live, so I would have to remove myself from that and ignore my phone and then ignore fantasy football results and etc so the result isn't ruined for me. I couldn't watch a taped game knowing the result, especially if we lost.

I said before, some preseason games surprisingly enough will get me in the swing of things. Nothing like watching the players actually perform

6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Just not from the Upper deck:)

7. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Crap......I'm sorry he missed both teams winning.

My Dad saw the Jets win SBIII (he was at the AFL title game). He's been sick for a few years now. I'd just love to see them win so I can share it with him, you know?

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Every time I get really down on the Jets chances I remind myself that I'm not a Cubs fan. If ever a team needed a rename badly that's the one. Why would you name yourself after a baby animal?

And here they come: the Kansas City Kittens. Oh yah, that's the image you want to project.

I'll bet you that if the Cubs renamed themselves to like the Chicago Maulers they'd win a World Series within 5 years.

#88 Br4d, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

meh, it's june...... there isn't anything of real (football ) interest for a month. It's good to have other hobbies / interests. I get so wrapped up in it during the season, I kind of like the break

that being said, I actually have a good feeling about this upcoming season... for some reason. :beer:

10. Italian Seafood

Same here, my dad isn't that bad but getting older and not great. He and Namath are why I'm a Jet fan.

Jets won when I was 2, Knicks when I was 3 and 6, counts for within my lifetime but I didn't get to enjoy any of them.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Mets were worth it though. They won when I was 8 and jumping all over the place about it and then before I really suffered they won again in 1986. The Mets are the only team I've ever rooted for that I can turn on the TV on a quiet afternoon and just enjoy whatever is going on. They already won it for me. I remember what that was like. The rest is gravy.

12. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Yeah I have the football dead zone completely filled. Yesterday started taking 6 credits in 5 weeks, plus a full workload, so I'm too slammed to notice anything.

As it turns out, both of my finals are on July 26th, the day training camp opens, so by then I'll be totally ready to just crack a beer and read camp speculation pieces, if for no other reason than because there isn't a test on it! :)

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I could not live off a World Series from 26 years ago. I guess Met fans know there teams limitations and don't dream?. I really don't get how 1986 is good enough, that's sick. As an Islander fan, winning 4 in a row does not do anything for me anymore. As a Yankee fan, I am hungry for another, the last one seems like 30 years ago. Great memories but I don't watch 140 games to lose at the end. I watch to win it all and no other reason. I am 52, I spend to much time watching sports as it is so it better be worth it at some point. The Jets are the one excpetion because of my love for going to games with the boys for 32 years. Its my escape from family and work so I stick it out hoping for a Championship just once, but they are trying my patience.

#93 sec314, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  14. Italian Seafood

That's how I feel about the Devils. They moved into my state while I was in high school, I was in the arena when they won their first Cup vs Detroit, they won two more and have established a great history here in NJ. From here on out I just appreciate being a Devils fan, as I've mentioned here it's kind of like a karmic reward for being a Jet fan. The fact that they aren't wildly popular just kind of adds to it for me, not a lot of bandwagon hoppers to deal with.

15. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

That glossy thing from the 90's with all the pictures and advertisements? Did you pay a fortune for it on ebay?

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Don't hate. I'm only 23 and I love them more so for pure entertainment than actual analysis. It's an excellent thing to read on the crapper at least.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

once Basketball ends its all about Football again.

Baseball is too many games for me, i follow on the radio, and sportscenter occasionally. but dont take major interest until the playoffs.

so yeah im dying for football to be back.

the Olympics will have to hold me over till than

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I will be all into the female gymnastics and flag twirling competition during the Olympics.

19. Potzer

Potzer New Member

Nope, I live for football season.

20. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I am currently reading a book. It is not very long and it is very interesting. It details the history of many of the successful attacks in football and how no idea in football is new, rather it is a rehashing or evolution of an old idea used with modern terminology.

Well this just makes me even more excited because it makes me think of football as essentially a chess match. He talks about how Rex came to the Jets and shut down the spread offense that they ran with lock down coverage and by blitzing Brady. Essentially he mentions how Gronkowski and Hernandez provide match-up problems (a short chapter dedicated to this) and that was the counter move of the Patriots against the Jets. This just gets me excited because you know Rex is planning his counter to the counter and I cannot wait to see what it is.

I was never really very knowledgeable on scheme but reading this book is helping me. I plan to read a few more books so that I can begin to learn more about how teams operate and why certain plays are effective against other plays. Also, it gets me excited that the coach's film will be available for the first time, so I will be able to see the overhead development of plays and especially see how the Jets plan to shut down the 2 TE sets.