Anyone Else Struggling To Get Back Into Football?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Italian Seafood, Jun 25, 2012.

1. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

This. Who has 3 hours to waste watching a 1-0 game? Not me.

2. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

I have the feeling that the Jets might surprise some people this year. Not getting ahead myself where I'm going to predict a long playoff run or something, but a lot of people I read or talk to think the Jets have a .500 ceiling. Don't get me wrong, that's a possibility, but I would give them a little more credit.

As for being excited...I'm starting to come around quite a bit. Last season left a bad taste in my mouth and it lasted a lot longer than most disappointments have with this team. When the Rangers were in the thick of their playoff run, I didn't care about the Jets one bit. But, same token, the Yankees were already in season and I didn't care for them much either during NHL playoffs. Like I said, now I'm getting (dare I say) excited for the Jets this year. I get the feeling that without the high expectations, this season lend's itself to be enjoyed a little more by the die hard fan.

3. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Im in the football mode 365 days a year.

4. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

90 minutes of top athletes in a tightly-contested match, no commercials.

If you don't watch it much and therefore don't understand the tactics, players, etc., that's fine, I used to be like that too. But trust me, once you get into it, it's a lot of fun to watch, usually.

Personally I find baseball excruciating to watch, but I used to be a fan and I know there is a lot of strategy and skill going on. And a 1-0 pitchers duel can be riveting.

5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Actually a game usually ends about 2 hours after its starting time.

90 minutes of game time.
    Maybe 5 or so minutes of injury time.
    15 minutes half-time.

If there is extra time it'll go on longer obviously.

I just love how people say soccer is boring but then watch sports like baseball, the slowest paced, least action packed sport in the world.
    Hell, even football is a 3 hour event of only 15 minutes of actual game time...

6. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Jinx

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

baseball can be very boring at times too but a 0-0 tie is usually a fun pitchers duel not a sport where there are 1-2 shots on goal in a 90 min game.

it may only be 2 hrs but it feels like 4 or more:lol:

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Someone also pointed out to me, a 21-14 football score is really 3-2 if translated to soccer terms. The Germany win over Greece is 28-14 if you assign 7 points to each goal.

Oh and reading through the thread, I think the constant useless articles coming out are part of the reason I am not in full football mode. Nothing has really happened for the Jets recently so we are getting these simple pieces about this player looking good or this player speaking up and no football I can watch right now

#68 displacedfan, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

This is a lot of it, too. Not trying to complain, the off season always sucks, but even the feel good fluff articles just come up empty after the way everything ended last year. I'll be ready when the time comes, this has just been the longest, worst off-season in a really long time. Even last year with the lockout wasn't as bad because we mostly knew there would be a season eventually.

10. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

Yeah, but I think what the real football enthusiasts are arguing is that getting to the score is much more exciting in football. Obviously a defender in soccer swiping a ball meant for a striker in soccer isn't going to be as exciting as a safety jumping a route and picking off a pass. Soccer is a good if not great drinking sport to watch. Because if you're bombing them back a whole game, you'll probably only have to remember the scoring chances anyway. The rest can be considered fluff.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I regularly have discussions with friends who think the NFL is the most boring sport out there, what with the endless commercials, the stop-start nature of the game and the often long delays between plays.

I calmly explain to them that they do not understand the game.

I would say the same in response to most of the comments about soccer in this thread.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Soccer sucks because the players do not use their hands and the players act too faggy. They barely get touched and then fall down like someone dropped an anvil on their head.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

This is why DVR is key to any/all American sporting events. You can watch a football game in 1.5 hours, while fast forwarding all the stoppages, and even quicker if you FF in between snaps. I love DVR and can't stand all the commercials in football. It just makes the games so much better. Some people are sticklers and only want to watch it live, but to me there is no difference. Who cares if its not live? You still watch the game in its entirety and it's "live" for you at the time, so what's the difference?

It's also much easier to watch baseball in quick motion. I just can't keep focused with how slow that game goes.

#73 Barcs, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I felt sluggish last year going into the season. This year I'm pumped and can't wait to get some live football. I'm probably going to go to the preseason games just because I'm really looking forward to it...

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I agree the "controversy" is being blown way out of proportion but to say Tebow is as much a threat if not less of a threat than Brunnell was is quite the understatement.

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i tried that a couple of times...cant stand it...i like the commercial breaks and the suspense TBH...if im not watching it live i feel like im not really watching the game. now less commercials would be nice...

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll watch other games like that, but when it's the Jets I want to watch it live, and actually the commercials just seem to draw out the tension. I'd like there to be less of them, but I seem to edit them out in my mind and stay focused on the game, which is weird.

Watching live also has that indefinable quality of knowing you are watching that exact same moment with millions of other fans. That actually adds something to the experience in my opinion.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I wouldn't say I'm struggling, but compared to the last 2-3 seasons, it's been a little harder. Part of it is less headlines, part of it is coming off such a miserable finish, part of it is the Devils occupied my time for so long.

Granted, last season was difficult with the lockout. Then when things finally kicked into gear, it was hectic from minute one.

The Devils lasting into June (unlike, say, the Rangers) was a pleasant surprise to occupy my time. It prevented me from getting into baseball as much as I would. Now I'm getting into baseball, so football will be next.

You can blame the media a little bit, but most of it the Jets brought on themselves. 3 years ago, you wanted to see the new coach and rookie QB and see what they could do. 2 years ago, coming off an AFC Championship and with Hard Knocks to look forward to, it was exciting as hell. Last year, it was a little delayed due to the lockout, but still, I remember doing fantasy mock drafts by this time each of the last 2 years.

I'm excited for it, and I'm going to start getting really excited into it in the next couple weeks when camp rolls around. The Jets haven't been making as many big offseason headlines as previous years to get you into it. That's not a bad thing though. When the season rolls around, I expect the team to be ready, and I'll be into it just as hard as I've always been.

Last day or two in particular, I've started doing a lot more research than I had in the previous weeks. I'm starting to get the itch now.

19. milo

milo Well-Known Member

For the Jets specifically I am as stoked to see this season as I was after the Farve mess and Ryan's first shot. This is exactly what this team needed - a good swift kick in the ass and a reality check.

Rex as a head coach, and even moreso Nacho, never had to deal with sitting on the couch in December. I was rooting for us to not make the playoffs after the Phili game. What good would it have done us anyway? We would have played the Texans (which we would have lost) or the Broncos (which we would have won) and been right in the face of New England again, who would have spanked us this time. (We honestly weren't even competitive with them in either game last year)

We're mostly intact, we're hungry, and the demon has been exorcised. (ie Schotty)

Throw in a ridiculously fast DL with a lot of 4-man front pressure and a recommitment to the 46 (now that we actually have the personnel for it) and I think our D will be back to 09' form.

Throw in a man-blocking scheme, a run-first again philosophy (59 pass attempts from Sanchez in a game EVER AGAIN? no...) and Jesus in cleats used correctly for short yardage and goal-line, and I think the offense can be better than advertised. Let's face it, it can't have gotten much worse.

Not saying this is our year, but we, on paper at least, have a hell of a lot better shot of doing some damage in the post-season than last year. Everything I've heard from Rex since the cluster-fuck in Miami tells me that he got the message - shut up, put your head down and do work. Luckily that's usually a lesson you only have to learn once.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Really? Was the shot at the Rangers necessary? You still got stomped in the finals.