Why Yes, I would Trade Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

The Jets beat writers will be jumping with joy when Revis fails to report to TC. Revis and the Jets are at a crossroads in their relationship. Pay him or trade him will be the new Florham Park slogan.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If that's where it winds up it's going to be a miserable 2012 season. We'll have Revis holding out using only his balls as leverage. We'll have Rex Ryan trying to put the best face on things as he struggles with the fact that neither paying Revis not trading him is going to work well for the season. We'll have Mike Tannenbaum again trapped by Revis agents only this time with almost no options.

Training camp and the early season will be enveloped by the Revis holdout and until that nasty 5 game stretch is done nobody is going to know anything about the season itself.

After the 5 games are up the Jets will either be in good shape and Revis will be sitting in Aliquippa sweating or the Jets will be in trouble and trying to get him in with promises of either a new deal or a trade after the season.

3. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Revis is the closest thing we've had to a franchise player since Joe Namath. Revis delivers week in and week out. He is the anchor of the defense and the best CB in the NFL.

Simply amazing how NYJETS fans treat a player of his calibre after all the losing we've been through since 1969. This team is not better without Revis stop the hate people.

The same people who bend over and pay Woodys worthless PSL fees dont want to pay the best player on the field. Unreal.

4. patfanken

patfanken Banned

GMC, it is NOT about paying Revis. It is about what EFFECT paying him has on the rest of the team. He is a GREAT player, perhaps he will end up being the best CB of his era. HOWEVER how much is too much for a player who isn't a QB.

The other question is how many times can a team bend over for a player before they lose ANY credibility in negotiating the with the OTHER 52 players on their roster.

So, buddy, when you are looking a paying Revis, you also have to think about the consequences, because there are several. Fans too often look at it in a vacuum. You are one of them.

5. Br4d

He's a cornerback.

If he was a kicker would it make it easier for you? If he could make 60 yard FG's almost every time would you pay him a lot more than a guy who could make just 50 yard FG's?

What cornerbacks do is to cover one of four or five options that a modern NFL offense has to go to. Good NFL offenses beat you anyway, even if you take away the best option for them.

Tom Brady beats the Jets, not Wes Welker or Rob Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez. All Revis can do is cover one of those guys and hope Brady doesn't beat the Jets elsewhere.

Is Brady worth a premium at QB? of course he is. He beats Darrelle Revis like a drum by throwing to people Revis doesn't cover.

6. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Bdwy, Revis has no equal but the Jets can't be held hostage every time he feel under paid. If I'm Tanny I tell Revis we"ll talk new deal next year. Revis fails to report take a page out of the Bengals play book ala(Carson Palmer) and use a "scorched earth " policy extend his deal. Fine him 30K daily and make his football life miserable until he agrees to play.

7. patfanken

patfanken Banned

That being said, now that the hold out talk is getting serious, maybe the Jets go to him and offer some kind of extension or restructure that pays him more than what he's due the next 2 years but spread out over a real long term contract. The Gronk contract would be a good structure

Extend him and give him a big signing bonus that increases what he'll make over the next 4 years to 10MM/yr, then have a team option for another 4 years with another big roster bonus that pushes the deal to 12-14MM/yr. In the short term (the next 4 years - Revis' PRIME years) you get him for a "reasonable #" and the big signing bonus can be amortized over the total 8 years of the contract, and then when he's 30 the Jets can make a choice. In 4 years a lot can happen to the cap.

8. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

You really need to look at the entire NYJETS salary list and come back and tell me that we arent OVERPAYING quite a few others............

Look at the money that was WASTED on Mark Brunell.............really

The team or the organization is not bending over they are paying a GREAT PLAYER what he DESERVES.

That vacum you speak of is a Dyson in my household....THE BEST like REVIS.

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

That was my point as well. If we can't pay top talent at Safety, WR , RB... Having one shut down corner does us little good.
    If we just want to watch him shut down receivers and suck as a team, then fine, pay him whatever, but to have a solid team we can't afford to renegotiate his contract every time someone get a little more than him.

10. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

He not only shuts down the opposing teams #1 WR he alters the way they play on offense. Take Revis out of the equation in the 2011 season we are lucky to win 4-5 games and anyway we didnt beat anybody with a winning record. So lets not pay our best defensive player. COME ON GUYS...REALLY

11. Bellows1

4 wins, 8 wins, what's the difference?

Besides, we've already paid our best defensive player... in advance for the next two seasons.

12. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Let me ask you this. How do other teams pay SUPERSTAR players and still manage to build a WINNING TEAM? Theres ALOT being overlooked here first thing that comes to my mind is the $2.7 million we are paying Wayne Hunter. Lets not IGNORE these ridiculous salaries to players who FLAT OUT SUCK.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

You just dont get it, do you? Yes, Revis is the best defensive player in the NFL and could be the best player at his position in the league. BUT, an Elite CB can only do so much- take ONE player out. You dont pay a CB 16 mil a year, and Im sure thats what he’s looking for.

Other positions like OLB, DE, S (on defense), and QB, RB, WR and even TE can affect a game every single play. A CB can only affect a play where the ball is thrown to him or the QB has the intention of throwing to his WR. In today’s NFL, the QB has 3-5 options on a single pass play, and taking out one player isnt going to really affect the great QBs that much. Tom Brady still dices up this defense. Why? Because Having a great CB in Revis causes our problems in the middle to be magnified and picked apart.

Say, if we paid an Elite pass rusher 16 mil a year, instead of Revis (and obviously this all hypothetical), this passrusher could disrupt the QB EVERY SINGLE play... Simply due to the position Revis plays, not his ability, he can not do that.

Also, you just seem to overlook everything that deals with the cap- which is the primary reason why we can not pay him this year. Him holding out this year should be an ended discussion because we simply can not afford it this year...

I guess this is just me, but when I see a player hold out multiple times to get a NEW contract, I tend to give zero fucks about the person. The guy is already making over 10 million and simply because he wants another 3 or 4 million on top of the 40 million he’s already made, he’s going to hold out and fuck us over again? I could care less about him if he holds out again.

Zero leadership, zero care for the organization and the position he would be putting them in, zero focus on actual football... if he holds out again.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

We ALREADY paid him, what dont you understand? We paid him and made him the highest paid CB in the NFL. But here we are only two years later and he is supposedly holding out (which Im not buying).

Have the Steelers paid Mike Wallace yet? Ravens with Ray Rice? Jags with MJD? Bears with Forte? Saints with Brees? Teams can not always afford the huge contracts their players seek, but in our case we already paid the man, yet the man wants to be paid again... Funny how that works.

15. Br4d

Football is a team game. Having anybody put themselves over the team is bad but having an edge player who actually has less effect than many of the other positions is intolerable.

Mike Tannenbaum is Darrelle Revis patsy at this point because Revis is one of the few indisputably good draft choices Tannenbaum has made over the last 5 years. Having Revis leave the Jets would suddenly cast a very unfavorable light on the rest of the talent base that Tannenbaum has assembled.

That's why Revis keeps getting what he wants, to the Jets overall detriment, when he decides to hold out.

16. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

How do you know what kind of leader he is on and off the field? I guess you believe what the beat writers write. Ive seen him numerous times at training camp tutoring other CBs especially Kyle Wilson. NYJETS fans like you arent happy unless you're bitching about somethng or someone on this team.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Now you’re just generalizing, and are completely wrong. I dont listen to the media at all, or at least the ones who just write for attention (and I’ve stated I dont believe he is going to hold out).

And I said “if he holds out again”. Yeah he may have leadership on the field, but do you honestly think his teammates wont get fed up with all of his holding out bullshit if he does so again? Its like the second coming of Favre watch. Kris Jenkins said it best "He has enough money. This time, I think he needs to get out there and make it more than about just getting the dollars.”

That was his past teammate, so if you dont think even some of his current teammates will have similar sentiments if he holds out again, you are just be naive.

I think he can show a lot of leadership by just showing up to camp, and personally I think he will.

18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

With Revis's current contract, he'd be the 16th most paid CB in the league this year. He has every reason to argue for a new contract as he is clearly the #1 CB IN the league.

If we actually traded Revis it would be hilarious to see the look on all your guy's faces when our defense becomes shit. Cro was rated the 64th (or around there) best coverage CB in the NFL. Would you want him being our #1?

you guys are a disgrace to jets fans, no way I'm trading away the best jet of all time because he wants the cash he rightfully deserves

19. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Kris Jenkins that fat lazy out of shape POS who couldnt wash Revis jock that Kris Jenkins.

Agreed, great post. :beer:

20. Bellows1

Oh phooey, every fan was happy we signed him to a 4 year deal, the issue is, that was only 2 years ago. If he wants to hold out 2 years from now, I'd support him in that case, but right now he is a bought and paid for talent.
    He knows what our cap limit is, that we are about maxed out, what is he hoping to get?

He's already one of the highest paid players in the league #7 including endorsements. If he wants more money, tell him to sell more shoes.