Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yeah, the Giants fans were killing Eli after his first three seasons. My point isn't to say that Sanchez will end up as good as Eli (I certainly hope he does and I think that he can) but it is to say that you can't give up on a 3rd year QB. Especially one with postseason success.

2. Murrell2878

Mark was looking to drop the ball off to Keller who gets knocked off his route. He wasn't pump faking the throw, he was pulling the ball down because his primary receiver wasn't where he was supposed to be.

[​IMG]

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

A lot of young QBs have the issue of holding onto the football too long

Rodgers had and continues to have that issue also. Remember the Packers Cardinals playoff game? The last play was all because he held onto the ball way too long - I think. Dansby forced a fumble for a TD in overtime

But Sanchez on that Ed Reed blitz should of threw the football away and play another down. First option no good? I just throw it out of bounds to the sideline

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

#323 101GangGreen101, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The hot read is to throw the way of the blitz (which is open) he obviously did not see it but the o-line did not see it either. Does not look like anybody saw it.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No one is even open on that play.. Ray Lewis is right there prob baiting the QB to throw it there

Ravens D knew exactly what was happening. It's a tight window but that pass can be completed but Ed Reed is breathing down his neck

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Jet OL ranked 22nd, with 1st being worst, in total Qb hits last season.

That sounds better than average to me.

7. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Why shouldn't I? He led the winning drive, which is what you give Sanchez credit for in most of his comebacks (being that he rarely had to rally back from large deficits). Be fair.

#327 BrucekilledBoomer, Jun 1, 2012
  8. Murrell2878

Playing QB in the NFL is much tougher than playing QB from your couch.

Here is the pre-snap read:
    [​IMG]
    The corners are playing soft coverage. There is no defender lined straight up on Keller. The PSR is telling you that Keller will be open in the flat. There is a blitz alert with Ed Reed but the Ravens are giving a Cover-3 look.

[​IMG]

Two issues that kill this play for the Jets is Keller getting bumped off his route by the DE and Greene not recognizing the blitz by Reed.

9. BrucekilledBoomer

The bolded part is definitely true. It's something to hold onto but it doesn't guarantee future success. Not only that but the difference in the passing game from 2004-2006 is so much different even just a few years later. For example, only two quarterbacks finished with over 4,000 yards passing in 2005 (Eli finished 5th in yards in that his second season), where as 10 went over that mark in 2011. It's never been easier to throw and pad numbers than in today's NFL.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

People who make a straight numbers comparison between Eli and Sanchez always ignore that even over the last few years the rules have been substantially changed to aid the passing game. For example Eli, despite not starting his whole first year, by 2006 had attained the 18th rank by Qb rating. Sanchez got no higher than 23rd last year. Eli was ahead of people like Vick, Roethlisberger, Hasselback, and our old buddy Brett Favre.

Also in 2006, Eli had 24 TDs. Only three Qb's in the whole league had more than him.

This whole ridiculous comparison between Eli and Mark ignores that ALL passing numbers have been up since 2006.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This I can agree with you on 100%.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

when did our D pick off anyone 4 times? when did they set up the comebacks?

13. nyjunc

who cares about QB rankings? it's about winning games and making plays to win. Most important through 3 seasons is sanchez had 4 playoff wins while Eli was 0-2.

14. BrucekilledBoomer

The Patriots tied it late in the game and Fitzy had to lead a drive from his own end. How is that any different than giving Sanchez credit when your Defense gives up a late lead and he makes a drive? So his own defense made a few plays and that erases a great statistical performance? For the record, do you count the opener last season as a comeback for Sanchez, or just the defense and special teams making plays?

#334 BrucekilledBoomer, Jun 1, 2012
  15. Murrell2878

QB rating is the most overrated stat in all of sports.

16. nyjunc

He still got a defensive TD, did Mark get one in any of the playoff wins? in any of the comebacks we discussed? did Mark get 4 INts? 4 Tos of any kind? The D actually let him and the O down in most of those comebacks.

17. BrucekilledBoomer

What about the games in which the defense held the opposing team under 20 points and allowed the Jets to stay in the game? Are you telling me Sanchez, who threw for under 200 yards with no touchdown passes against Indy, played a larger role in his whopping 2 point comeback than Fitzy, who threw for nearly 370 yard and two scores?

#337 BrucekilledBoomer, Jun 1, 2012
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Eli started 7 games in his rookie season. Kurt Warner was benched with the Giants still in playoff contention at 5-4. Eli came in and lost 6 out of 7 on a horrible overall performance and the Giants finished 6-10. Two teams in the NFC made the playoffs at 8-8 that season.

That's how you develop a QB who will go on to win multiple super bowls.

19. nyjunc

First off Sanchez was on the road in the playoffs so let's not compare a meaningless week 3 game to the pressure of a playoff game. That particular one the D kept them in it and Sanchez had a poor first half but w/ the game on the line and under a minute he got his K into chip shot range.

and again I don't recall getting 4 TOs and having our D score, if that doesn't happen Buf has no shot.

20. nyjunc

oh so his half season on the bech developed him but Sanchez getting experience in TWO title games didn't help him?

There are many different ways to develop QBs, urs was developing fine until the OL fell apart. Ours will be fine. Giant fans were whining as much, if not more, about Eli after 3 years as we have been about Mark.