Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You Schotty lovers are missing one huge point. It was Schotty's job to develop Sanchez so if Sanchez sucks a big part of the blame has to go to Schotty. You cannot bash Sanchez and praise Schotty in the same breath. Saying Sanchez failed is saying Schotty failed also.

We will see if Sanchez ultimately sucks he is going into his fourth year. If Sanchez shines Schotty will deserve some of the credit.

Schotty was brought into ST Louis to work with another third year QB we will see what he can his track record is not great.

Thus far the only person that was able to run to run his offense in all its glory was Pennington who was considered one of the smartest Qb's while he was playing. Although Pennington had success like others have pointed out it was statistically his worse season playing without injury.

It is also well documented that once Qb's leave Schotty's system they become statistically better. I hope this keeps up with Sanchez. Maybe this is because Schotty's system is so complicated when the QB goes to a different system is just seems easy, only time will tell.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He did a nice job developing him, don't allow 3 games to end 2011 to sway you. He took a big step forward in 2010 then a step back in '11 butt hat had more to do w/ OL issues than QB issues.

We know, Favre went back to his familiar system and had a great 2009- that had nothing to do w/ OCs and everything to do w/ him knowing that system.

Chad had a good year in '08, fully healthy for the first time since early '04 and fully healthy Chad was one of the better QBs in this league.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Even assuming that you think Schotty was a competent OC and I don't think he was, 6 years is too long to keep just a competent guy. If you want a long-term job in the NFL you'd better be damn good at what you do. 6 years for a middle of the road guy, assuming that's what you think he was, is way too long for the Jets to have waited for Schotty to show that he was clearly superior.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Mark did not take a step back last year. He didn't take a giant leap forward like he did in 2010, but he didn't take a step back either.

5. nyjunc

He definitely took a step back, it wasn't necessarily his fault w/ everything going on around him but he wasn't anywhere near as good in '11 as he was in '10. His #s improvd but he didn't improve.

6. Murrell2878

The end result wasn't as good as it was in 2010 due to the factors surrounding him, but he did not take a step back. Going into week 14 he had the Jets at 8-5 and ready to make a postseason run with a pourous OL, no running game and terrible receivers. The issue was he was getting pounded in the 2nd half of the season and it took it's toll on him and the offense struggled because of that.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Part of the problem was that Schotty worked with four different starting Qb's over that period if you count Clemens starting nearly half the year in 07. This made it hard to assess the OC as the main variable, as it were. Then you had a rookie through third year Qb for half that time - how to assess him when there was no baseline for comparison?

I do think for the record that Schotty did not demonstrate an effectiveness in developing Sanchez, but whether that was his fault, Sanchez's fault, Cavanaugh's fault or something else we can't really say. Yes, it meant Schotty did not have what amounted to a right to continue here.

The main reason I talk about him is not about whether he was treated fairly, and I certainly do not think he had a right to continue working with the Jets. It is more about my mystification that so many here are convinced they know it was him who was holding the Jets back. They simply do not know that, and more to the point they do not know that Sparano will do any better.

There are far too many variables at work, so much so that a straight apples to apples comparison will be difficult going forward (see for example the Tebow Factor, among others).

Let's put it this way. I am not expecting a huge improvement in the O MERELY because Schotty is gone. Others here who want to live in that fantasy world I think may prove out to be lucky, dumb luck being what it is and all that.

But expecting it? Assuming it will happen? I cannot go there.

8. nyjunc

we both know it wasn't all his fault but he was pretty bad those last 3 weeks and that has to be factored in. I think he was decent for most of the year but not as good as '10 and w/ the last 3 games he definitely wan't anywhere near as good as '10.

9. Murrell2878

I can't pin the last three games on Sanchez. He took a pounding. He was sacked 14 times in the last 4 games (3.5/gm) alone. There isn't a QB in the league that would do well being hit as many times as Mark got hit. Plus, some of the hits he took were ridiculously hard hits. In fact there were 3 hits he took that resulted in fines on the defensive player last season.

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Maybe if he made quicker snap decisions + not hold the ball so long the sacks would drop as well as the hits on hard or soft :sad:

11. nyjunc

I don't pin it on him either but he did not look right and did not play well. He didn't look right most of the year, I expect a totally different #6 this year.

12. Big Blocker

Yep. His defenders fail to acknowledge that the Jets' Qb hits rating was much much better than their sack total. The difference? Sanchez holds onto the ball too long.

13. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Favre was traded to the Jets on Aug 7, 2008, well after the start of training camp. Furthermore, nobody ever considered Favre to be a "cerebral" or "smart" QB in the same league as P Manning, Brees or Brady.

Good grief, he was making the same stupid mistakes in year 20 that he was making in year 4!

14. Big Blocker

Right. Favre had a strong arm and was fearless. Pretty tough, too. But no one called him the smartest guy in the league.

15. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

The ball has to be out as soon as he finishes his 3 step drop. The play is there, he just doesn't throw the ball, he pump fakes. Later on in the game, the Ravens run the same blitz again (this time its not reed) and he never adjusted. Again, the play is designed for him to throw the ball at the end of the 3 step drop. In both instances the play is there, but he is too afraid to throw it.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is part of the problem if you ask me not trusting yourself to afraid to make a mistake. This is the death of a QB Sanchez plays his best when we are behind because he is aloud to fling it and make plays. You cannot be worried about throwing a pick in the NFL or you will throw more or hold the ball and get killed.

Schotty did the same thing to KC and he ended up skittish in the pocket. Lets hope Mark can recover from the beating he took some can and go one to be good to great Qb's some cant and end up like David Carr.

17. Eljetfan

Eljetfan New Member

mark sanchez will get it done cause hes a mexicCAN not a mexiCANT.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The OL was not good in pass protect, even your myopic ass can't deny that. And that doesn't help a developing QB. A re-commitment to the run game will benefit us, more play-action the better.

19. Ted

Ted Member

An excellent example and I am sure the debates raged about Eli at that point that are being discussed about Sanchize. But I am not one to get caught up in comparing one player to another. There is no guarantee Sanchize will develop into having the same success as Eli. But the Jets are not setting him up for success. The trade for Tebow is a very loud message that they are looking to replace him if he starts out this season where he left off last season.

20. Ted

Ted Member

On this I agree. Obviously if your QB is turning the ball over your not winning in the playoffs. Again, I'll give Sanchize credit for playing well in the playoffs but he doesn't get there without the defense and running game. Last year was a much different story because the OL and running game was bad. When it came to crunch time and needing to put the team on his back, Sanchize failed badly.

They brought in Tebow to compete with Sanchize and make him better yes, but if Sanchize falters, Tebow will be your starter.