Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Sanchez had about the best season he could have had given the conditions in place in 2011. I expect he'll have about the best season he can have under the conditions of 2012 also but I do not expect that to maintain him as Jets starting QB.

A fish rots at the head and Sanchez is like a gill at the moment.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sanchez looked good at times last year but when he went bad he was off the charts bad. He needs to step up and be much more consistent this year having a stable receiving core and o-line should help.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Both were inconsistent, both were mediocre but sanchez has shown more in 3 seasons than Fitz in 6 or 7 or however long he has played.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think Tex is a pretty crappy poster for the most part, but no good is served by responding to his occasional fair argument with a homeristic rant.

The fact is Sanchez is rather problematic, and he's in trouble, obviously is in some degree of trouble, with the Jet organization at this point. ANd it's not because however large of a segment of the Jet fanbase questions him, too. It's because he's objectively and without a doubt a problem.

As for myself, I don't root against Jet players in general. I root against them if they do not get it done, take their contract money when they don't deserve it, waste a roster spot. And I don't even do that until I am pretty sure they are irredeemable.

As for the position you seem to approve of, I don't think people who are unrealistic and overoptimistic are my idea of a good fan. People who are all for keeping some lazy ineffective bum on the roster just because he's already been here for some period of time. I am glad to say I am not that sort of fan.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez was only really bad in the games when Mangold was out and at the end of the year when the game plan was in tatters and the Jets were facing a bunch of heavy pass rushes in a row.

In the 5 games where Sanchez was under the most pressure, either without Mangold or at the end when things were collapsing around the offense in general, Sanchez threw 196 passes for 5.63 yards an attempt and had a turnover percentage of 7.7% between the interceptions and the fumbles.

In the other 11 games he threw 347 passes for 6.83 yards an attempt and had a turnover percentage of 3.2% overall.

When the Jets had things somewhat together Mark Sanchez took a clear step forward over the 2010 season. When things were in flux he looked lost out there. We look at Sanchez performance last year and we tend to think that he caused the issues, but in fact if you look at the game log the issues happened when key people were checked out - either physically or mentally.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Thank you for posting this

7. You're a good poster, man. I just lost my cool for a minute there. I realize most of these trolls lack credibility, but I can't help but engage them in arguments & to call them out on their stupidity. It likely has something to do with my profession. I argue/bargain all day long..often times in the face of all that is logical.

I have no problem with someone/anyone rooting for the jersey over the name/number. I just wish people would give young players alittle more time to develop to their potential depending on the circumstances. Sanchez has a long way to go, but it's hard to short change his accomplishments thus far. Additionally, he clearly has above average natural talent for the position. He just needs to learn composure as well as consistency. Time will tell if that comes to fruition.

Furthermore, It's time to let the negativity of last year die. This is a new season w/ just as much promise as any year in recent memory. This is a very talented team w/ some young players poised to break out. Is anything guaranteed? Of course not? Does the team have holes?Of course they do..every team does. But it's time to have this team's back as fans & show some confidence

8. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Sanchez literally had less than 3 seconds to pass the ball to:

1) Slow ass Burress
    2) Taking plays off Holmes
    3) Rookies
    4) Receivers running into each other
    5) Running backs that can't catch
    6) The mouth of the defense

Last year, our offense was a steaming pile of shit under coach Brian Schottenheimer. We made zero adjustments, the right side of the line continued to collapse, unnamed players (captains) quit, backstabbing of players in the media ensued, we looked like a reality t.v. show and not like a family built for war.

The sun set, the sun rose. Schotty was fired and exiled from the State of New York. Sparano and his magical wild cat were brought in under the fellowship of the great, "Tuna" Parcells. We became a running football team with a play-action pass. St. Tebow protected the football, time of possession and filled a leadership role that was sorely missing from the team.

We started to believe and play like champions; like New York Jets. we stampeded over buffalo in some shanty near Toronto; We filleted a feast of fish and ate hearty by the seas of south beach Florida; we pierced through a “steel curtain” in a foul land they call the ‘burgh, we marched through the gates of foxboro placing fear in the weak hearts of all new englanders. We defeated all who stood in our way, restoring honor to the house of Johnson & Johnson. Finally, we ended a most treacherous curse and after 44 years of steadfast waiting we lifted our Lombardi and reclaimed our right to the throne!

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Do a google Dolphins are not fish but mammals :sad:

Ur post is very well written but waym way off the mark IMHO :sad:

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Wrong there, son.

Sanchez might suck, but he is a starter. Fitzpatrick is a backup impersonating a starter. That is the difference.

(If anything, the stats say you are wrong - especially when Fitz was sacked half as much as Sanchez was.)

P.S. We Jets fans all hammered Bradway for doling out 64M to Pennington back in 2004, after two brief years of good work.

If that was borderline stupid, Bills have outdone it in every possible fashion with that 60M extension to the perennial backup QB. Consider that. Bills are in good hands? I laugh my butt off.

#230 Zach, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Wasn't this the same guy that was on here talking about how much better Trent Edwards was than Sanchez? Just keep talking.

12. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Sanchez was sacked half as much as Fitz because Buffalo's passing game was based on making quick reads. This game plan was due to the uncertainty of the line entering the season. I don't think anyone believes a 4th round rookie was a better option than Ferguson at left tackle (even in a down year) or that 8 games of mixing and matching at center was better than having Mangold for 14 games. Buffalo's backup impersonating a starter finished with a higher qb rating than Sanchez each of the last two seasons despite having less talent around him (and limited starter reps last year). Both quarterbacks are mediocre starters or above average backups in my mind. And I wasn't in love with the Fitzy extension but it's nothing that we can't get out of the minimal cap damage.

13. nyjunc

again w/ the higher QB rating nonsense. Fitz won 10 games combined, sanchez won 11 in 2010 alone and before the excuses roll out Andy Dalton had less talent around him last year and managed to get his team into the playoffs as a rookie. heck, Tim tebow got his team to the playoffs and Fitz didn't even have his team in contention.

14. BrucekilledBoomer

And again with the team achievements from you. Circumstance dictates a lot in the wins and losses department. I don't think Sanchez could have been put in a better spot in 2009 with the best o-line in the game and the league's #1 defense. The talent in 2010 sure wasn't anything to sneeze at either. I think Dalton is a fine quarterback so you won't get any argument from me there. He was a rookie quarterback who probably won't need 4 years to reach 60% completion, and that's a slight on Fitz and Sanchez. Props to Tebow (and mainly his defense) for getting his team to .500 in the AFC West.

15. nyjunc

good teams get good QB play, the Jets may have been a D first team but w/o Sanchez's play they don't win nearly as much as they did. Buffalo had more talent than Cincy last year and yet Fitz couldn't even keep them in contention let alone get them to the playoffs.

I like Dalton, I'd much rather have Sanchez.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Higher QB rating means jack shit.

He led an offense of a team that tanked the second half of the season, leading the way for rather glorious (in Buffalo standards, mind you) 1-8 record. Sanchez sucked - but he was never in that kind of shit. (AND he has NEVER pulled that shit off in his brief career either. Fitz has 4 more years of experience, but then most of the experiences came in as - befittingly - a backup.)

1-8, YOU HEAR ME? 1-8

(If you want to give "It's a team game and one man can do only so much" bullshit, you also have to realize that the entire bashing of Sanchez loses the ground as well. You can't have it both ways. Either Buffalo sucked, or the backup sucks to no end. I'd say in this case it is both, but for now I'll settle for the latter.)

#236 Zach, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  17. BrucekilledBoomer

The Jets got bottom 5 QB play from Sanchez in 2009 and 2010, so good team don't always get good QB play.

I beg to differ that Buffalo had more talent than Cincy. Certainly not on the defensive side of the ball, I don't even think that's debatable. They didn't have the injuries Buffalo had on the offensive side of the ball (and they didn't lose their best player on defense, for that matter); and I'd take the trio of Green, Simpson and Gresham over Stevie, Nelson and Chandler. I'd say the only position we clearly bested Cincy was at running back.

18. BrucekilledBoomer

I never put all the losses on Sanchez so I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not here to bash Sanchez, just noting that he really hasn't been all that better than Fitzpatrick when you break it down to individual performance. I don't feel Flacco is a top quarterback in this league despite the fact that he has led Baltimore to the playoffs every season of his career. Obviously you disagree.

19. nyjunc

you have no idea what you are talking about, in '09 he was good for a rookie. His #s got skewd from 3-4 really bad games he had but he was good overall and very good in january. In 2010 he was borderline top 10 and was a big key helping us win 11 games then get back to the title game.

The injury excuse, I hear it every year from Bills fans. Buffalo had more talent pre injuries, had as much talent after injuries. They failed at QB and it ruined their season.

I don't disagree about that trio but Green was a rookie w/ a fellow rookie QB, Gresham is young and they don't have the RBs Buf has.

20. nyjunc

Flacco has been a better reg season QB, sanchez a much better postseason QB. if Bal hasd Sanchez in janaury they would have made a SB in the last few years, if the Jets had Flacco in the reg season we would have gotten higher seeds.