Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

Texans are a pretty darn good team, but they have to prove that last year was the start of a trend and not a fluke. Same goes for the Bengals and Lions. Many times, teams not used to winning year in and out, any success they have it goes to their heads and they start to lose focus and on the little things that got them there. And all of a sudden those teams start to struggle the following year. We will see.

2. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Fitz had better YPA and a higher completion percentage (by a pretty fair amount). I mean we can nitpick the stats all we want. Obviously the circumstances for both players were different in terms of the talent around them, which plays a role in both win total and stats, but I'd say they graded out pretty evenly. The QB rating suggests the same. For what it's worth, Fitzy also finished with a higher QBR.

3. I don't think I am.

Rather, I think you are looking for any plausible reason you can think up to suggest the Jets are a poor football team..or at least worse than the team you root for. The problem is, your arguments are short sighted garbage.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Teams get good and bad in a hurry in this league, Houston was good, not great, a year ago. It would be like if we played either of them last year and coutingit as an automatic win b/c we were in the title game and neither of them made the playoffs.

We match up well w/ Hou b/c Revis shuts down Johnson, I'm sure we'll have our way w/ SFs O. The key will be no bad TOs by our O going against 2 very good defenses. W/ SF we play them at 1PM ET, they have the fly across Country and play a game at 10AM their time. That gives us an edge, it doesn't guarantee anything but it gives us an edge.

5. nyjunc

YPA and comp % are nice but he had LESS TDs, MORE INTs, led his O to LESS points and his team to LESS wins. Sanchez was better.

6. I don't believe the Jets have lost to the Texans in their entire existence. Revis on Johnson combined with the Jets physical running game is a bad match-up for Houston.

7. BrucekilledBoomer

There's no telling what the numbers would be like if both players switched teams. Would Sanchez be able to make the quick decisions Fitz had to last year? Or produce as highly without the safety net of a very good pass catching tight end? Really don't know. That's why I don't factor in team wins and total points when grading individuals. And the difference in points per game was so small (3/10ths of a point) that it's barely worth mentioning, especially since Sanchez probably had more total possessions to work with given his superior defense.

#187 BrucekilledBoomer, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  8. nyjunc

Our defense wasn't very good last year and Fitz had success earlier in the season whe Buf's D was turning it over and scoring nearly every week.

I think Fitz on the Jets would be a disaster b/c he'd have pressure to win, he's a journeyman guy for a reason. He floats from bad team to bad team putting up decent #s while losing games.

We both had talent on O and both D's were up and down.

The difference in PPG is 1.3 PPG when you remove all the D/STs pts scored and again we had a much worse OL last year and we supposedly sucked yet Sanchez led his O to more PPG and his team to more wins.

9. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

Jets cannot turn the ball over. That will be the key. If you turn the ball over, you're handing points to teams like the Texans and 49ers. That's obvious: but physical play causes turnovers and scheme as far as ints. Those teams are looking to repeat last year's success and both have added wide receivers to their offenses.

10. BrucekilledBoomer

Even with Hunter I'd take the Jets o-line over Buffalo's. I think we'd both agree on that. This is especially true since Buffalo played without it's starting left tackle for most of the year and without it's starting center for about half of the year. The Jets, while surrendering more points than previous years, still gave up significantly fewer yards and finished way ahead of Buffalo in total defense. The yards definitely play a role in possessions.

Again, I'm not going to argue team accomplishments. Clearly Sanchez was on the better football team. And whether Fitz could handle the NY pressure is a complete unknown and just a guess on your part. He was a journeyman because he was drafted in the 7th round and he's inconsistent. Sanchez was drafted in the first 5 picks and so while his stats are journeyman like, he's going to be given more chances.

11. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

That's a long ride from San Francisco and Houston, to a hostile environment. I'm glad we catch them at home.

Defense, Ground 'n pound

and both of their quarterbacks are suspect. Schaub is just like brady, hit him and he folds. The 9ers qb has done nothing

#191 JetsVilma28, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  12. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Schotty is gone we have a new system on offense.

Earth to Shit County: your team hasn't been relevant in over 10 years. Smell the roses it's going to be another long September, October, November, December, January. Sell your house, move to Omaha. They have the cornhuskers, you will like them :up:

13. nyjunc

For the first time in his career Fitz played a semi-big game after November 1st, he was brutal and the jets destroyed the Bills sending their once promising season spiralling to a last place finish.

14. BrucekilledBoomer

I'm not saying the Jets wouldn't have won the game (as I've stated for the third time, the Jets had the better team) but catching Fitzy the week after the rib injury played a role in his pathetic game. He probably shouldn't have been out there. He was having trouble breathing in the huddle. He did bounce back with a nice game against the Jets in the second contest (which is why you have to assume the injury at least played some role), and in another example why team play is important, he hit Stevie right in the numbers for what would have been the winning score. Still had a nice game nonetheless.

15. nyjunc

Sanchez was much better in 2010, a top 10 type of QB. It's not all about meaningless fantasy #s.

What Holmes did w/ the Jets in 2010:

set up GW FG at Det
    set up GW TD at Den
    scored GW TD at Cle
    scored GW TD vs. Hou
    scored GW TD at NE in div rd of playoffs

Hmmm, I can't think of one big play late in a game to help Buf win from Stevie but I can remember two huge drops(pitt '10, NYJ '11).

You stick to your stats mostly accumulated in garbage time of blowouts, I'll enjoy watching my QB and WR win games.

16. nyjunc

the rib bothered him that week but not a few weeks later at the meadowlands? how did it have a chance to heal? I have heard it bothered him the rest of the season. I don't buy it, Sanchez had multiple injuries last year too, we don't use it as an excuse.

17. Professor Frink

I'd guess the Jets would have won more games over the last three years with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their QB

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I guess U have never been to Hout or SF for a NYJ game since if you had you would not have posted such silliness that U posted. I HAVE been to both places for a NYJ game & neither place was "hostile" as U posted. In fact we were invited to BBQs in both places & offer free drinks as well :sad:

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

BWAHAHAHA!! :rofl:

20. nyjunc

I'd guess the Jets would have zero playoff wins and maybe one playoff app if Fitz was their QB the last 3 years.