Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

The Jet defense handles its business. Just like the Ravens defense handles its business. They're lunchpail guys that bring it and hold their end of the bargain down. They are ranked top 6 in the league for a reason. They have an identity. But the offense doesn't match.

Now, the offense can still be Rex's redheaded step-child, that's fine, but perhaps you let Sparano be the Step-dad and go to work on that part while Rex focuses on the Defense. Let him also bring in his own players or the kind of players that fit. Establish a clear identity so that the player's aren't left wondering whats gonna happen or what play will be run in a critical moment in the game.

If you're imposing your will on another team, and running it down their throats, for instance, and you need that first down to win the game, don't come out and throw the ball 3 straight times. (Just an example, but have seen many teams do stupid stuff like this.) I think one of the major complaints (seems to me) from Jet players was that there was a question about what coverage they were facing or what the play was or if it was gonna work. The players have to believe in what the coach is calling.

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

^The offense is going to be "dumbed" down from last year. This will benefit the entire team. I expect some "trickery" with the wildcat, half back screens and strong use of play-action pass for home run hitters. For the better part of the game I expect Sparano to line our offense up and win the one-on-one match ups. We are going to play old school smash mouth football. Ding-dong Schotty is gone!

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Mangold was hurting badly last season, he missed multiple games where we started a guy off the street. He was not fully healthy except for a few games.

Greene had a decent year all things considered, it all depends on the OL. if the OL is healthy and plays well we'll run it well and in turn pass it well. if the OL is beat up and/or plays like last year we'll struggle all around.

This is not the '09 Jets offense, we can pas ti much better than that but it will be similar. I expect we'll throw it more than half the time but it will be fairly close to 50/50- maybe a 55-45 split.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

So how many more wins do U forsee the "dumbing" down of the O will net us this year vs last? :sad:

5. Brick had a lower back problem the 2nd half of the season, Mangold obviously had his issues early on, Moore had hip surgery just prior to the start of last season( w/ only 6 weeks of TC to get back into a groove/adjust to a new RT next to him). There were a ton of moving parts with this group last season. Schotty desperately tried to magically turn this team into a pass first unit(despite being built for the run) w/ no legit deep threat & unreasonable prep time due to the lockout. By the time this offense realized that they should be running the ball, the season was halfway over. Rex thought the running game never got in a rythym..I think that's an accurate depiction.

As for Greene, Keller, Slauson, Brick, & Hunter, Weren't they also around in 2010 when the team WAS successful w/ the G&P?

The 2009/2010 group did in fact include arguably the best blocking FB in modern football history as well as 2 of the best run blockers of the decade in Woody/Faneca. It was by all accounts one of the best Running game Personnel groups arguably of the 2000-2010 decade. Is the modern group likely to come close to that level of performance? Maybe not. But that doesn't mean this can't still be a plus group. This group still has 3 plus players pro bowl players on the OL. Is John Conner not capable of lead blocking?Did you really expect him to be as good as Tony Richardson 2 years into his career?

I see absolutely no reason that this group cannot have a return to G&P. Comparing it to a once in a lifetime personnel group just isn't a compelling argument.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You have to compare it to what it actually achieved last year also. You can't take 2011 and discard it and 2011 was the Jets worst running performance since 2007.

The answer to the woes on the ground in 2007 was to go get Alan Faneca to play LG for the Jets. The answer to the problems last year was a big yawn by the front office. That's likely going to bite us in the ass next season. Brandon Moore is not in his prime like he was in 2008 either. The RT is Wayne F. Hunter instead of Anthony Clement who was at least a competent journeyman who had started at RT for 6 years in the NFL.

#146 Br4d, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  7. nyjunc

2007 we had young Mangold and Brick, 2011 we have vets. We have much more talent than we had in 2007 also and a track record of success w/ all of these players playing on the same OL together.

8. JetsVilma28

"dumbing" down is a bad word. We are going back to the basics. No more schotty, all this movement at the line of scrimage just to have 5 receivers short of the first down or even worse running into each other. Sparano and Rex are perfect for each other. We're going to have another stout defense with blanket coverage, please pass it. We beefed up the d line over the past two years and we will be blitzing heavy.

KISS "keep it simple stupid."

On offense we don't have to be flashy. Bang the ball for 3-4 yds, inside & outside. Protect the football, eliminate mistakes, wear them down. Demoralize the opponent with our defense and time of possession on offense. Once we suck them in, we'll go over the top.

It's a new day, new opportunities. I feel really good about where we are going as a team and franchise.

Ground 'n pound!

9. championjets69

Thats great with all U posted but how U did answer the question which was how many more wins will that translate into in 2012 vs 2011? :sad:

10. JetsVilma28

^ I think we'll win 10. Enough to advance and we'll make noise in the playoffs.

11. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure 10 wins will make the play-offs in the AFC this year. There's 10 pretty decent teams that all had the same or better records than us last year... and our first 7 games will be tough.

We could easily start out 3-4. It gets a little easier after the bye, but if we have another meltdown like last years after a tough stretch, we may not make 10 wins.

12. championjets69

Tks but where do U see them coming from especially since the Pats & Bills are improved? If U look at our out of the gate games U can see we could be 2-5 after the 1st 7 which if I am correct would mean we would have to be 8-1 over the last 9 which IMHO is a very hefty chore :sad:

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I still say 11-12 wins, same as I predicted in 2010, and 2011 as well. Last year was disappointing and I don't expect a repeat. I expect a similar performance to 2010, but with more touchdowns and slightly better defense.

#153 Barcs, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  14. JetsVilma28

Week 1: We will destroy the Bills at home. 1-0
    Week 2: this is a toss up. I'll give Pitt the edge at home. 1-1
    Week 3: Crushing Miami. 2-1
    Week 4: Long road trip for S.F., we stop the run we protect the football. 3-1
    Week 5: Houston at home, we stop the run, we protect the football. 4-1
    Week 6: New QB in Indy, growing pains for them: 5-1
    Week 7: We lose in New England. 5-2
    Week 8: rebound and fillet the fish. 6-2

I see what your saying with Pitt, S.F. and Houston. To be honest Pitt is a solid football team, that I think we will play well against ( i'll gave them the edge on the road). S.F. has to come all the way to New York (that's never an easy trip). they have a strong defense and strong running game, their pass attack is garbage. Stop the run and protect the football there's no reason why we can't beat them and by a lot.

Houston is the same scenario, with a better passing attack. they have Johnson we have Revis. It will be entertaining, hit schaub, Revis wins easy. Indy is going to have far more growing pains and we catch them at home. It's a W.

I'm very optimistic about the upcoming season. After last years shit show, Rex will have the team ready. Our defense has improved. We have new leadership on offense with Sparano, it was wise to get rid of schottys system. The name of the game is defense and time of possession. Protect the football, hit the quarterback, stop the run. We are moving in the right direction. Let's have some fun.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

you're dreaming here. 2007 we had younger less injury-prone versions of Mangold, D'Brick and Moore. We had a proven RT, albeit a journeyman in Clement. We had Thomas Jones and Leon Washington in the backfield. We had Jerrico Cotchery and Laveranues Coles at WR. Cotchery caught 82 balls. Coles caught 55 in 10 starts. With Kellen Clemens throwing to them half the time.

The 2012 Jets offense goes into the season behind the 2007 Jets offense. The only reason they're not really behind is that they have a good young QB who could reasonably take a big step forward and give the offense a lift.

Even the exciting things about the 2012 Jets offense, like Stephen Hill, come attached with big caveats. Hill's a rookie and unlikely to make a big impact his first season. Tebow is just as likely to be a big distraction for the team as a solid contributor.

The Jets look like a 7-9 team right now. That's because the offense is in total flux and the defense will have to carry the team.

16. championjets69

Wonderful hope it comes true but we will see as the season goes along right? Better check up the Niners they sign a real fistful of WRs so I think U R way, way under estimating them as you are some of the other clubs as well :sad:

17. championjets69

Ah yes I bookmarked this thread to bring back after the 2012 season ends :sad:

18. nyjunc

Brick was not yet established as one of the better LTs in the game, he had a decent rookie year but nothing special. he was terrible in year 2 and needed a LG btw him and Mangold which is why we overpaid a bit for Faneca. We never had success w/ our LG and RT from 2007. This current OL started in an AFC Championship Game a little over a year ago.

The only areas of concern for me are a RB w/ Shonn Greene and RT. I'm confident in the QB, I'm confident int he rest of the OL, I'm confident in the TE, I'm confident Holmes will bounce back, I'm excited for Kerley in year 2 and Hill year 1 and IF Chaz Schilens is healthy he's going to be a contributor. The man has talent, he has not been able to stay on the field.

Unless Sanchez gets hurt, Greene getrs hurt, mangold gets hurt I think we'll win anywhere from 9-11 games. There's no way we'll be 7-9, too much talent and too well coached. Against an easier sched(on paper) w/ a mroe flawed team(on paper) we won 8 games a year ago.

19. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

If you look at the league-wide schedule, 10 wins should get you in 95% of the time (made up percentage.) Its rare that a 10 win team gets knocked out. Bengals fall off a bit (imo) and Denver will as well. I see an opening for another two teams potentially. I question how good the Ravens will be this year as well. They had a good run last year, but if they try to force the offense through Joe Flacco, I could see them falling off a bit from last year's record. That leaves the door wide open for other teams!

20. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Ah, I see! All the Jets' 2012 opponents have remained the same or gotten worse, while the Jets, who staggered to 8-8 last season and have filled almost none of their holes from last season, have magically improved!

Who's your FS again? Your #2 WR?

Homerism is such a wonderful delusion. :rofl: