Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Now that the Jets are free from Schotty as their OC, I honestly believe that Sanchez and this offense will greatly improve. Schotty's game plans are way too cute and complicated for NFL players. As you can see below The years that Pennington and Farve played pre and post Schotty were far better seasons. The years under Schotty (shown in bold) the TD to INT is almost even, the avg yds per pass is down almost a yard and QB ratings dropped at least 10 points. Sanchez has shown improvement each year under an overly complicated system, I think he is going to pick up the new system with ease and the game will slow down for him:

Chad Pennington
    2004 NYJ 16 TD 9 Int 7.2 Avg Yd Per Pass 91.0 QB Rating
    2005 NYJ Injured
    2006 NYJ 17 TD 16 Int 6.9 Avg Yd Per Pass 82.6 QB Rating
    2007 NYJ 10 TD 9 Int 6.8 Avg Yd Per Pass 86.1 QB Rating

2008 Mia 19 TD 7 Int 7.7 Avg Yd Per Pass 97.4 QB Rating

Brett Farve
    2007 GB 28 TD 15 INT 7.8 Avg Yd per pass 95.7 QB rating
    2008 NYJ 22 TD 22 INT 6.7 Avg Yd Per Pass 81.0 QB rating
    2009 Min 33 TD 7 INT 7.9 Avg Yd per Pass 107.2 QB rating

Mark Sanchez
    2009 NYJ 12 TD 20 Int 6.7 Avg Yd per Pass 63.0 QB Rating
    2010 NYJ 17 TD 13 Int 6.5 Avg Yd per Pass 75.3 QB Rating
    2011 NYJ 26 TD 18 Int 6.4 Avg Yd per Pass 78.2 QB Rating

2. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I see what your saying, and i agree. Pennington and Favre had great seasons leaving us, makes me wonder how much of a prob Schotty was or maybe the pressure of NY.

If Sanchez has a great year to me that would confirm the Schotty was the main culprit, and if Sanchez fails to improve will then maybe he is not ready for the big city lights.

Sanchez does possess all the tools to be a top 10 qb easily, he can make every throw, and he knows how to handle the media.

3. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you. I think Sanchez will improve in some capacity this season.

4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

You can probably lump Brees into this category to some degree with Schotty being his QB coach in SD.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I was just going to say the same. Pennington won comeback player of the year after he left Schotty. Favre had his best statistical season ever after he left Schotty and Brees has bbecome one of the best QBs in the NFL after leaving Schotty.

It isn't just coincidence.

6. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

And should Sanchez have a break out year in 2012, we all know that Schotty was the "Vince Russo" while Sparano would be the "Paul Heyman".

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I hope you're right. One way to really improve Sanchez chances next year would be to minimize the work on the wildcat until everybody has the main system down. It's great to have the wildcat as an option but if it is option 1b instead of 2 that doesn't bode well for the chances to successfully install 1.

8. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Count me as a Sanchez supporter. He got too much of the blame for the problems last year (to clarify, that's not to say he is entirely blameless), and a new offense and a new attitude will do him good. I don't think he'll be top five or possibly even a top ten QB next year, but he'll be exactly what this offensive system needs him to be.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Every report so far suggests this is what they're doing. Easy to miss though, since it's being reported as "Tebow practicing exclusively at QB!"

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He has already succeeded, he will make 40 million bucks for being a mediocre QB.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How many times must we go over this? There were circumstances, Chad was coming off TWO major shoulder surgeries on his throwing shoulder, Favre was in a new system for the 1st time in 16 years, we got him a month before the season and he didn't want to be here.

I think Mark is going to play really well but the OC change isn't why.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So what's your excuse going to be if Mark plays really well this year? How about if Bradford does poorly? You seem to have them lined up in bunches for previous examples.

13. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I accept your rationale (even if you're being somewhat pedantic) . Do you at least acknowledge that historically speaking QB's have not thrived under schottenheimer and have in fact gone on to do very well after leaving? I think this detail is what this thread is about. Optimism etc.

#13 Donttasemebro, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  14. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Don't pee on their slamfest of Schottenheimer with facts, junc.

Schottenheimer's alleged "too complicated offense for the NFL" has become an urban legend on this MB, and like most urban legends, it's BS. Nobody outside of NYJ fan sites thinks his offenses are anything out of the ordinary.

15. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

What if Sanchez sucks this year? It's not like Tony Sparano is some genius OC. In fact, he's never actually been an OC at all. Calling plays for a few games does NOT make one an offensive coordinator.

Since Bradford sucked last year, his sucking this year would be no reflection on Schotty but rather on Bradford himself. Then again, what if Bradford shines?

It seems to me that Jests fans on this MB have concocted this fantasy that puts all the blame for last season's offensive woes on Schottenheimer and imbues Sparano with superhuman coaching gifts. It's a nice little fairy tale that allows homers to ignore the FO's moves or lack thereof to improve the team, but I suspect that Jets fans who believe in this fantasy are going to find reality very disappointing.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If those situations happen then we will have more evidence to look at the situation rationally. Likewise, if the situations I asked about happened we'd have more evidence to look at the situation rationally.

I never said Sparano would be a great OC, you seem to think I have.

I never said Schottenheimer was the only one to blame.

You've basically applied a bunch of shit to me that doesn't apply. Take your strawman argument elsewhere.

Schottenheimer is NOT a good offensive coordinator. There's no evidence to suggest he is and no QB has ever thrived under his guidance.

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I hope he does succeed.

We succeed where we run the football. We are a running football team with a deathly play action pass. Pound, pound, pound, inside, outside, pound, pound, play-action.

Ground 'n Pound

18. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I agree. I never liked shotty and I always thought Pennington got a bad rap mostly bc of shotty. When he went to Mia and instantly improved his career I always thought that was proof in the pudding.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I expect both Mark and Bradford to play really well this year.

it's not all about #s, Mark had decent #s last year but he was much better in 2010 w/ lesser #s. We had an O w/ a rookie and 2nd year QB help us get to 2 title games, how does he not get any credit for that? I don't care how good our D was(it was good but not as good as most think) you still need a quaility O to win in January.

Sure but there have always been reasons behind it.

Chad:

2006: coming off 2nd rotator cuff surgery on throwing shoulder, plays 16 and leads us to playoffs
    2007: Chad was hurt
    2008 in Miami: Chad was healthy and in a familir system

Favre:
    2008: Got him w/ a month to go before season, he didn't want to be here. instead of learning his new offense he was busy helping Gb opponents attack GB. This was his first new system since 1992 and he had no offseason.
    2009: goes to familiar syatem that he knows as well as anyone and thrives

Sanchez:
    2009: rookie QB w/ limited starting exp. in college. helps us get to title game
    2010: takes nice step forward, top 10 type QB in year 2 and again helps us get to title game.
    2011: OL stinks, run game struggles, 3 of 4 new WRs. #s are better across the board but struggles down stretch.

20. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I hope he's able to succeed with the Jets. Personally, I think he'll up going somewhere else and becoming a very good QB. Trent Dilfer always says that if you want see a way NOT to handle a young QB look at the Jets and Sanchez.