McKnight says Jets Offense is Relieved

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 17, 2012.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

In other words, "If you can't stop us from scoring FGs, I'll continue fist pumping!"

2. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

First year in a new system is always a little rough around the edges at first, especially the first half of the season. Next year we will be saying "now that they have a full year under Sparano's system, the offense will click", Happens every time there is a coodinator change. Still, with a simpler system in place, maybe it won't be as bad as I fear. Maybe.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

One thing you can be absolutely certain of is that no matter how good or bad the O is this coming year, there will be some homers who will predict next off season that the O will be better in Sparano's second year.

Guaranteed.

4. DoubleA

DoubleA Banned

I believe the O will be better THIS year, because the playbook will be simplified from the geometry that Schottenheimer used to call on Sundays.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Likewise, there will still be plenty of darksiders that predict the O will be worse, regardless of the season we have.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes, and about halfway through that next season when its the same old shit those people will switch and say all the problems are from Sparano's system/playcalling... Recycle and Repeat the process.

The players are the largest barometer for a successful offense. There really isn't much difference between a Sparano or a Schottenheimer.(although one has a stronger Offensive background - hint its not Sparano)

If you put Tom Brady in Schottenheimer's system he's still an All Pro - the offense is still one of the top in the league and Schottenheimer is probably called a genius by the pundits.. same with Sparano.

Bringing Sparano and his "offense" in isn't going to change anything about the weak offensive line that the FO has allowed happen over the years, it isn't going to change anything with Sanchez's inconsistencies, and it isn't going to turn a Shonn Greene into an Elite all-purpose back.

If Mark Sanchez himself progresses and improves, cuts down on mistakes, and plays like he has shown he can than the Offense will be much better this season regardless of who is calling the plays. (if he's not on his BACK anyway) - If this does happen I'm not going to give an ounce of credit to Sparano even though many will.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Players are very important but so is coaching. Just look at the difference in the Jets defense from Mangini to Ryan or the Texans defense when Phillips took over.

8. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

actually

you are completely wrong on a multitude of points here. schottys system would require everybody on the field to read the defense and make an adjustment accordingly. tom brady would only be as successful as the worst player on the field, in this case, it would be mulligan or hunter.

so, knowing what we do of schottys system, we cannot say things like, 'mark makes too many mistakes' when we have no way of knowing who actually made the mistake. everybody blames the quarterback, but is it really marks fault if he thought the slot receiver was going to adjust to a curl rather than a fly and the slot receiver thought he was supposed to be running a post.

on any given play, there is so much that can go wrong, it is absolutely mind-boggling he has lasted this long in the nfl. teams dont win by confusing their own players. they need consistency. i feel bad for sam bradford.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Kotite to Parcells... same team for the most part... just saying.

10. BrowningNagle

Two things - those are ELITE defensive Coaches, Sparano/Schottenheimer both are not elite Offensive coaches using that comparison doesn't work well because I do believe an ELITE coach can make a difference but it doesn't work that way with most every other coach.

Also I think its easier for a Defensive Coordinator to make a difference then an Offensive Coordinator strictly because the success doesn't hinge so much around one player (QB) that an offense does.

11. BrowningNagle

You are a little delusional if you think Schottenheimer would turn a Tom Brady to the level of a Matthew Mulligan... that's an outrageous comment.

Schottenheimer isn't Bill Walsh, but he's average/fringe above average offensive Coordinator. The Rams will do fine if they acquire enough pieces to make that offense work instead of saddling him with a progressively weak offensive line and a young QB who needed to adjust to a revolving door at the WR and RB positions.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't think we know enough about Sparano as an offensive coordinator to say he's elite or not. Obviously it's most likely that he's not elite just because it's rare to be elite. He really hasn't been an offensive coordinator in the NFL though - he only shared play calling duties with Haley in Dallas.

Sparano probably has a place as a coach in some capacity in the NFL, maybe we'll get lucky and find out offensive coordinator is his niche.

That's all beside the point anyway. It seemed like you were saying coaches can't make much difference. They can.

13. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

tom brady doesnt eliminate holding penalties and he certainly doesnt like getting hit. and once again, tom brady would not be in charge of everybody's assignments, every player would need to adjust on every play. its really asinine but thats what the reports that are coming out are saying is what was going on under schotty.

tbe rams gave up the most sacks in the league last year, the jets were 13 on that list. confusing the line of st louis is probably not going to help them any. i feel sorry for sam bradford.

and if hes above average, then what the hell do you call the teams with good offenses? anomalies? is it just impossible to have an efficient offense with a solid gameplan in the nfl?

14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

coaches can make a huge difference. somebody brought up the mangini to ryan transition on the jets, and really, that is a great example of a coach changing the culture of a unit, although it is probably a bit of a rarity to ahve a coach come in and change things that much.

but even still, a good coach can hide players weaknesses and exploit their talents. if you are going to say that we had a coach who did that in schotty, id have to disagree.

15. Big Blocker

That is not my point at all. My point was that Sparano should not have been hired as a learn on the job OC, so that should not be a factor. He was either chosen to succeed with existing personnel or he was a bad choice, so getting different players next year should not be a necessity.

And most important, if it takes the Jets more than a year to learn Sparano's system, wtf??? Isn't that what a lot of SChotty haters thought they were complaining about when it came to Schotty?

In short, Sparano's being the OC is not a two year development project to reach a level of effectiveness, but there will be some homers here who will probably say so if he fails to improve the O and the Jet FO nonetheless retains him for 2013.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You're absolutely right. The operating theory around the Jets facility should be that they can hit the ground running with this guy. He's not a "rookie" coordinator (even though he technically never held the title) and the claim is that he will fulfill Rex Ryan's vision where Schottenheimer wouldn't.

In theory three years of Rex Ryan / Tannenbaum has allowed the Jets offense to tool up with the necessary ingredients to be successful at the style of offense the Jets and Rex want to play. Coming up short will be a failure.

Even still - you can't speculate on whether or not Rex, Sparano, and the rest of the crew should be jettisoned on another failed year of offense because without knowing what actually happens this year there's no way to frame a proper context for what the Jets should do moving forward. There are an infinite number of reasons why the Jets season turns out the way it does: successful or not.

17. Big Blocker

I totally agree with you here. If Sparano fails, one of two things will be at work, with of course a combination of them being a possiblity as well. One factor is that the Jets have an inadequate offensive roster. The other is that Sparano is not effective enough as an OC.

The one thing this should mean is a mediocre to bad year in this coming season should not lead to giving the whole gang one more try in 13. None of htat crap. Either the roster needs an overall, Sparano was a bad choice and should be canned, or both. No do overs.

18. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

+10

This is -exactly- how I see it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Additionally, first off;
    Considering the amount of "evidence" that has progressingly been leaking out regarding how Schotty's system was setup, I am absolutely amazed that ANY play was successful... as said, for something to go wrong when essentially every single player have to read a defense and must come up with the exact same result on their own for the play to play out as intended, the room for error is so enormous I'm astonished the ball moved forward even once.

Secondly, for 2012 it seems Rex will go back to "co-running" the D again, which in practicality translates to Rex being all over it again, regardless of how much Mike will think he's in full charge. That alone makes me very optimistic about 2012. I also believe both Rex and Tannenbaum are fed up with offense fucking up. It feels like they almost thought "get Sporano, make him run a failproof ball-protecting offense, so our D can carry us home in games... get a couple of field goals or whatever and we'll seal it on Defense - JUST DONT FUCKING TURN THE BALL OVER".

Offense has been the kid sister who were given some goes until the big boys got fed up of losing.

#118 Swedish Ale, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  19. kleckotheman

kleckotheman Member

Other keys that make a difference

1. A simplified attack allows the O-Line to better understand their reads and work in cohesion. Schotty's calls made on the spot changes to blocking assignments and that led to chaos and catastrophe.
    I am encouraged by Sparano as a former O-Line coach, to understand this. They MUST block first. A basic in football.
    Not focus on shifts, personnel changes, assignment audibles etc.
    Many of which led to missed assignments or burnt timeouts.

2. An under reported fact about our offense last year was the WR's had absolutely no capability to beat man to man. I went to enough games, and saw all the rest on the tube, to see that we had no deep threat, no speed threat, no playmaking ability that forced a double team, or forced a safety to cheat, or allowed Sanchez the opportunity to test the defense deep.

Instead Plax, Holmes, Mason, Turner etc would run out with a cover DB stuck to them, which made Sanchez hold the ball, and the O-Line block longer, until you can guess the outcome.

Stephen Hill is a critical component to this offense. Not because he will be Andre Johnson right away. Because he has explosive speed and size that will require safeties to stay honest, and open up the deep bomb. Something removed from the playbook last year.

Holmes can work the underneath slants, hooks, and fades knowing the safety isn't sitting there waiting to kill him. Also our running game should improve the same way with less in the box.

There were games last year where I swear the other team sat with 9 in the box all game long. With no respect to the deep pass threat. That has to change and Hill will be key.

Signing one more low cost veteran who can go deep (like Braylon if he was healthy) would be offer even more of that.

20. Big Blocker

While Hunter proved to be a significant drop off from Woody, the other main elements in the reasons why the O dropped off from 09 and 10 to 11 were the RB production declined and Sanchez's turnovers, after dropping from 09 to 10, went up again in 11.

At RB, Thomas Jones in 09 was a real every down back for the regular season, getting over 1400 yards at 4.2 ypc. Jones was sent packing in the off season, but was replaced by LT, who when he first showed up was lights out, also in catches out of the backfield. Although LT only gained 914 rushing, it was still at 4.2 ypc and added 368 receiving yards at a 7.1 average. Meaning he almost replaced Jones's yardage production.

LT dropped off big time last year, and Greene did not take up the slack. That's all on the OL? I don't think so.

Meanwhile there was the atrocious increase in turnovers by Sanchez, no doubt the main reason he appears to be in the dog house with the organization.

It's not all Hunter's fault.

And of coures blaming Schotty as a significant, let alone the, factor is just stupid since he was the OC the whole time.