SS Yeremiah Bell signs with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, May 17, 2012.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Forgive me. I was under the impression that a great deal of the fans on this message board were upset that you guys passed on pass rushing OLBs.

I am obviously just trying to stir the pot. :rofl:

Check my post history. If you're looking to drive out fins trolls or idiots, you found the wrong guy.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I like it because we need depth at the safety position.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I've been pretty resigned since early in the offseason that Hunter would be back. The coaches seem to like him, and they seem to like the backups. We'll see if that's vindicated or not. It's a big gamble to take.

Those who say the Jets didn't address the pass rush with Coples, I don't get that. Sure, it's not the main place sacks come from, but if he's effective, he can draw double teams that make life easier for others, and he can push the pocket in the face of Brady, who is our biggest adversary at the moment.

I do think we should have grabbed a young OLB. Pace and Thomas are up there in age, and Davis probably projects more inside. Though if we play more 4-3, and our personnel dictates that may be a possibility, then we can get away with it. I like Maybin as a pass rusher, but he has a long way to go to be a full-time OLB. I doubt he ever gets there, but it would be great.

Bell is perfect as Landry insurance. Landry should be effective when healthy, but who knows how long that will be. Bell is a nice rotational player. I am worried the Jets don't really have a cover safety, hopefully Davis and Bush can help. I could see Cromartie playing a little more safety, too, in spurts.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

DL, WR, ILB, SS (stopgap), FS (project), OT, RB

Jets had too many holes to fill - one draft wasn't going to be enough.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

My guess is that, if Ducasse doesn't work out, Jets will have to burn 1st or 2nd round pick on RT.

I don't think that's the end of the road for Ducasse - he might find it easier to play on RG. (After all, in case of OL, you try to move from outside in. Ducasse does have the physique, so I would think that can happen. Moore needed replacement anyway.)

Unless Jets were going to spend first two picks on defense, pass rush wasn't going to be resolved in a year. I have no problem with Coples pick.

Can you say TEBOW?

Jokes aside, Jets will again go defense-heavy next draft. They need to draft 4 starter quality players - whereas on offense, you would need 1 starting OL and MAYBE a starting RB. By 4 starter, I mean this: 2x OLBs, FS, SS.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jets trading up with 5/6/7 to grab an extra 3rd (hopefully) or 4th, provided the first three picks this year pan out.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just ask BB, it's because they are very confident in Eric Smith's ability to cover in open space, he was the best cover safety we had last season. lol

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Or new offensive line coach is absolutely in love with Wayne Hunter. He spent half of his press conference raving about him.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why wouldnt you rave about a 31 year old perennial backup that has no upside??? Thats the type of guy I want to put my job on the line for...

9. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Eric smith to the bench success.

10. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Well I guess he's not just "depth"....

Cimini explains:

#150 Axel3419, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  11. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Great....two SS for a league that is more and more pass happy every year. Pretty dumb JETS, pretty dumb

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is just stupid if true.

It is Cimini, so maybe he's just "reporting" out of his ass again.

13. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Really guys? We've basically played with two SS in smith for three years... Smith is an SS not a free safety cover guy

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We just have to pray Josh Bush can learn quickly enough to get himself on the field. Belichick and Brady are laughing there cocks off at our starting safety tandem right now.

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yep. The Jets better be able to generate a serious pass rush, or Brady to Gronk/Hernandez is gonna shred the crap out them.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Who would you rather have signed??? Which FS would have been a better signing? I would really like to know... because last time I checked the safety market is pretty empty, especially at FS.

17. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

I dont mind them signing him, for depth and because landry is made of paper. But I really dont wanna see teams just take advantage of a weak back end with two guys who get burned or lost in coverage. Not so much on revis side, but Cro and Wilson are still liabilities. I know the market and draft are thin this year at FS, but I want a pure coverage guy to go with the hard hitter.

18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well that is the ideal situation, but show me which guy fits that mold that is available right now. There isn't anybody available.

Which is why Rex has decided to build up the 46 aspect of the team. We are built to play it, and I would bet we see a considerable amount of 46 looks this year...

19. BobLivius

BobLivius New Member

Next years draft will have solid safety prospects probably thru three rounds. there'll be plenty of good prospects available when they pick.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Kerry Rhodes and Lowery were not SS, they could actually cover guys and we went to back to back AFC finals when we had them starting.