SS Yeremiah Bell signs with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, May 17, 2012.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He won't have a major impact. We still need a cover Safety.... Demario Davis could be the most essential pick of this draft if he proves to be the cover LB he's touted to be.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

B

1. Guarantee Wayne Hunter $2.45 million.

2. Guarantee Santonio Holmes $11.75 million in 2013 by maintaining him this year.

3. Sign backup QB for 500k signing bonus. Trade the guy a couple of weeks later.

4. Sign an injury-prone in the box strong safety when the big problem last year was a strong safety who could not cover tight-ends and a free safety who got hurt for the second year in a row.

5. Acquire Tim Tebow with a QB controversy already a possibility next year.

6. Draft a defensive lineman with the 1st round pick despite that being a more solid area than LB or RT.

7. Don't draft an offensive lineman until late in the draft.

8. Sign *another* strong safety with coverage issues, this one being old instead of injury-prone.

You have to admit that this off-season looks particularly unfocused and clueless at this point.

3. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Agreed, other than possibly WR in the draft, what of are needs have been addressed?

4. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

DeMario Davis speed at LB this kid could be a good one.

5. Martin is the man

i agree but it may be alot to ask a rookie out of a small school to step into a single man coverage role right away. In a year or two he'll be a huge piece but for now I think he'll serve as a STer and back up line backer until he gets a hang of the position at the NFL level

6. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Unless the Jets quickly develop a serious pass rush, they are gonna get shredded by top TE's again.

7. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

wow! I totally disagree.

landry, tebow, coples, hill, davis and bell all filled needs.

8. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yeah i concur, i think the off season went pretty well

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

pass rush, age of the dline, and speed of the defense.

Addressed backup QB.. twice

Addressed o line depth, but questionably signing unknowns or draft picks.

Addressed SS.

Now you question how the Jets filled these positions, but they made moves to address them

10. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Addressed SS in triplicate. That's the part I'm having trouble with. Nevermind that E Smith skill set is more SS than FS and we have 4 SSs. I don't see the team carrying more than two on the roster so I'm stumped. Why draft Allen? Is E Smith gonna be cut, because I don't see Landry or Bell playing special teams.

There definitely has been some odd moves this offseason. Though some needs have been met.

11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

You're wearing the other team's colors in my house and telling me that pass rush wasn't addressed when it was addressed beyond everyone's wildest dreams. I don't give a fuck where Coples lines up, (which could easily be at OLB a third of the time for all you know) he will bring pass rush. Even when he doesn't get there himself he will free up others and make them better.

Fans want a pass rush. Nobody gives a fuck which side OLB brings it. Or which DE. Just as long as somebody does. DeMario Davis adds dynamic rushing up the inside besides. When I read your comment, it seemed clear that you're either clueless or trolling. I took a shot in the dark going with the former, but congrats if it was the latter.

12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

They're just going to list one of the SS's as FS. The idea is to hopefully never play Eric Smith, but if Landry gets hurt and the rookies don't step up then he's there to step in.

They're probably also going to be rotating safeties in and out all the time based on the game situation and defensive scheme. The more tasks that the rookies can competently complete, the better off we'll be.

13. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

I don't care too much how they list them, its just straight up we have Landry, Bell, Allen, E Smith, T Wilson, and Josh Bush, plus those DBs that may not exactly be corners. Its just getting crowded back there. The Jets will probably carry four safeties, and maybe, just maybe five. So my question is who goes? I know we can't answer that now, but it just seems interesting to me that they added Bell at this point, and it makes me think someone is on the sh-t list.

14. PolygamyWinsChampionships

It seems pretty clear that they'll keep either Allen or Bush on the practice squad unless they both show enough promise...in which case they'll go with five. It seems pretty straight forward.

Eric Smith is on the shit list. Because he's a big piece of shit. Which is why we're currently creating a Safety corps by committee. The fact that we're doing this should be signifying to everyone that the lights are on and Tanny's home.

15. Reece

Reece Banned

Who are the three very good corners everyone keeps mentioning? I know Revis is elite, Cromartie is good but Wilson can't be categorized as either. For the fans mentioning Davis in regards to covering Gromk, slow your roll please. I'm not a Pats fan, but Gronk was the best TE last year and you guys are talking about a rookie lb with speed covering him. Puh lease.

16. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't the practice squad expose the guys to being signed by other teams? Hence, why guys like K Ellis and Powell were carried on the roster but just about never dressed. So if we think there may be something in Bush or Allen, they can't go to the PS.

I'm starting to lean in your direction. This doesn't look good for E Smith. So long as a few guys fill in for him on special teams, he may be gone this summer.

17. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Wilson is pretty good and has room to grow. On Davis, don't forget we are going from nothing to something - thats a marked improvement to have something instead of nothing.

18. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Which is why we'll card 5 safeties if they've shown enough and we can get away with it special teams-wise. I already heard that Bush is a special teams contributor. The idea of having an extra body or two is to be able to create several different possible combinations so that you can choose the one that looks best for your organization as the year progresses. The FO will evaluate the position and hopefully come up with something that makes sense.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

response to your points in order

1) agreed

2) jets couldnt move holmes due to salary cap

3) this became a need after tebow acquisition..what would be more puzzling would be if they kept him

4) given the cap space we have available he was best option

5) tebow brings a great dimension to this team

6) coples was a great value pick...they went BPA

7) agreed but at the same time also upgraded and added speed at WR and ILB, two positions of need

8) again, due to salary cap and need this signing makes sense

20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

3) Received a 6th round pick in compensation for trading away back-up QB. 6th round pick signs a 500k contract, therefore dollar value neutralizes. However, 6th round draft pick signing a 500k contract actually adds a lot more value to the team than just 500k in cap space...because they're a draft pick.

Meaning...wtf are these morons talking about when criticizing that move.