SS Yeremiah Bell signs with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, May 17, 2012.

1. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

My assumption that any such periphery benefits would be more than negated by just running go routes and long cuts to put either Safety in the position they don't want to be in.

We tried for a free safety. Reggie Nelson. We couldn't bring him in. So Tanny drafted DeMario for TE's. He brings in this has-been to back up the other has-been. Now we've got two rookies to step up for the other spot, with a back-up option of Landry/Bell or Landry/Smith.

There is no question that this is a patchwork, motley crue. Still, I'm not too concerned in most situations. Next year we'll add a top prospect in the first or second round and this unit will no longer be a weakness. Happy to see the signing.

2. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

I don't get it. Unless Bell is just some camp competition, I don't get it. Landry and Allen are already here and are both clearly SS. E Smith is more SS than FS despite being placed in a FS role. Now Bell? They must be anticipating the inevitable Landry injury.

Edit: Just saw Bell signed for $1.4 mill. Thats not camp competition money.

#102 CervezaVerde, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I have heard this every year about safety and pass rusher. I'm not sure your front office shares your plan.

4. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Still hoping for Jim Leonhard to come back. The defense changed for the worse when he was injured. There's plenty of cap room. The only question is his health, so here's hoping.

5. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

I think the other question is... How many SS do you need on the roster? I didn't think there was room for Bell, but now I'm pretty certain there is no more room for Leonhard.

6. BookEndTackles 72&79

Nothing wrong with this move. Landry is injury prone. It also gives the team the leverage to approach Smith to restructure if not outright release him. That will free up some money to use. Also gives you a group of Leonhard (assuming he re-signs which I think he will) and Bush at FS. Allen, Landry and Bell at SS. Most teams carry 5 on the roster and hopefully Bush and/or Allen can become solid special teams contributors replacing Smith's contributions on those units at a cheaper price. Tracy Wilson is also in the mix. A few vets to hold the fort short term and some young guys you hope can develop into something long term. Can't argue with the approach to building the safety corps.

7. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Sweet, I made it onto your ignore list. Thanks !!!

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Good move at a position of need.

9. Just another body for the safety competition as well as depth. It also helps that he has a ton of starting experience in the AFC East. Is he gonna set the world on fire? No

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It takes big balls to use another posters unseen words to personally attack another poster. :metal:

11. Martin is the man

I don't understand all the bitching I really like this signing. He's a veteran who's an above average run stuffer. One thing I think alot of people are neglecting to consider is the Jets have an ability to put 3 very good CBs on the field at any time. Because of this ability the Jets can go with a base 3-4 with 3 CBs and a SS, or maybe a 3-3 with 2 SS (one in the box) and 3 CB. Kyle Wilson's development is very important for this to work, if he does it allows the Jets to put both Bell and Landry on the field at once.

Everyone complains about "How are we going to cover the Pats TEs"? Here is how I think you cover the Pats with the current personal: Revis on Welker, Cro on Lloyd, Wilson on Chad Ochocinco/Branch/ Aaron Harnandez (I'm confident Wilson can cover him 1 on 1), Landry and Harris double teaming gronk (Landry can take his head off if he catches it). Let Pace cover the RB out of the back field or play zone in the intermediate middle of the field, Bell can play the deep half zone and assist with any player running a deep route to ensure no one gets beat deep. The d-line will be a 4 man base with Couples and Maybin at DE and Pouha and Wilkerson at DT. Also lets not forget that the Pats are pretty old and very injury prone on the o-line so I think the current d-line can get alot of pressure. Impressive IMO.

For once I ask Jets fans to be happy and not piss and moan that we already have a SS. Well shit now we have 2 and both are very impressive in run support, which is possible when you have such great play from your CBs. Just my 2 cents.

12. tzinc

tzinc New Member

Allen did a good job covering Safeties in college. Hopefully he beats out Bell instead of getting "injured" and being put on IR all year.

13. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I forgot that we were going to be lining up Coples at Quarterback. Guess you forgot to develop your mind beyond that of a fifth grader. If only there were a game show for you....

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

:rofl2:

He's gone bitch lately. I think after he got tried of being challenged he discovered it's easier to wallow in his own coprophagous opinions rather than defend them.

(though he's yet to realize that it just looks ...worse)

Putting you on ignore gives him an out, it's not like it makes his observations any truer.

15. Hobbes3259

:rofl2:

Troll the political threads, in addition to BB, Cappy also brags about having me on ignore.

I mean, How much of a bitch can someone be?

16. Hobbes3259

While I appreciate the turn of a phrase, you do have to admit...putting a member on ignore is one thing...bragging about it, is about as effeminate as it gets.

It's the equivalent of a 6th grader taking the long way home, to avoid the 4th grade bully.

17. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Aggressive hitting safety. Sucks against the pass.

18. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Looks like he'll fit right in!

19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

LOL chill out

I didn't overlook Coples but he will be a 3-4 end in your base D right? He CAN produce pressure from that position but it will not be his primary responsibility.

Obviously I was talking about the fact that year after year the fans have been clamoring for a pass rushing outside linebacker and a safety and neither of those have been addressed in high rounds for a while.

I don't think we have a history so next time I would appreciate it if you didn't start with the personal attacks right off the bat.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you forgot about d.davis who has the speed to run with gronk