McKnight says Jets Offense is Relieved

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 17, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/joe_mcknight_says_jets_offense.html

2. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

Sounds like smashmouth football. No pass-first concept. Interesting. This is what the Ravens and 49ers do, imo. And both those teams were knocking on the door to the Superbowl. Both those teams were one or two plays away from going. It will be interesting to see if the Jets players commit to this approach all-out because it means 4 yards and a cloud of dust and you have to keep the score low and dominate time of possession.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I like the idea that the players will be responsible for out executing rather than out thinking their opponents. These guys, for the most part, aren't geniuses out there - they're athletes.

I wouldn't be shocked if that concept alone eliminates a lot of the stupid ass penalties we had last year.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. Is this saying that if the Jets call a play and they line up and the D seems to have it perfectly set up to defend against, that no audibling will take place?

5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

"It's a different mentality with coach Sparano, he's the type of person that's like, if you can't stop him, he'll keep doing it,"

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't know if he meant it that literally - maybe he did. I think he was more getting at the individual responsibilities of each play won't change. It sounded like the players all had to go through a decision tree at the LOS to decide what their role was for the play based on the defensive alignment.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's still options for Sanchez to change the actual play itself at the LOS even if he is asked to do that much less frequently. If the play changes, obviously everyone's responsibility changes for the new play - but within a given play the responsibilities will remain static regardless of the defensive alignment.

So in Schotty's offense you might have a handful of different responsibilities for a single play based on how the defense lined up. In Sparano's system you have 1 set of directions for each play. I would expect the QB still has the option to audible to different plays at times though.

7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Schotty sucked. Condensed version.

8. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

An article without a Tebow reference? Blaspheme!

9. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

"It just had so much stuff in the offense," McKnight said about Schottenheimer's system. "If the defense comes out and they line up one way we had to change the way we run our routes the other way, but when Sparano came we just run the routes. No changes, just go out and play football."

This I think is a good thing. It leaves no room for the receiver and QB to be on different pages. If in the old way, the defense is lining up in a man coverage scheme, you need both the QB and WRs to recognize that and then apply the proper route, leaving room for mistakes. Now a slant is a slant, a hook is a hook and a go is a go. Now for Sanchez, the thinking is gone, just throw it to someone.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The flip side is the potential of having a very predictable offense. I think that can be countered with a little creativity out of the same formation and studying/knowing your own tendencies though.

11. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

My understanding is that they will have a smaller number of plays but the plays can be run out of a wider number of formations. So Sanchez can practice the same plays/routes with his receivers and the formations will be set up to hide it from the opposition.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It sounds like a better approach to me, but obviously we won't know until we see it in action. Everything always sounds so peachy in the offseason.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I really think our offense is going to click this year. I'm looking forward to it! Only a few more months till preseason! I can't believe it's already almost here!

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I really like the line about if they can't stop it, we will keep on running it. Something Schotty did frequently was go away from something that was working just to try and stay one step ahead of the defense.

15. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Man, that honestly sounds too simple. Even pro style offenses in college run sight adjustments based on defensive alignments, both pre and post snap.

Execution might well improve but it could also lead to a higher number of minus plays and/or complete stagnation against smarter/better defenses.

16. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

True, true. But the offense has been so bad at times that any ammount of improvement, be it by simplicity or otherwise, will be greatly noticed. I'd rather run the ball three times for 9 yards and punt then see Sanchez throw three times and end up with a strip sack returned for a TD. Sanchez will still have to make the throws that count, but hopefully he can cut down on the mistakes by making more predictable (for him, not the defense or audience) throws to his receivers.

As the off season goes on, I'm sure he will have more audible options with a guy like Holmes. So that if the defense comes out in man coverage, they may have a hand signal to just run a simple slant but that won't require the rest of the offense to change their responsibilities or routes as well.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's what smashmouth football is all about. You KNOW what we will do. Give us your best shot. We know you will still go down anyway.\

That said... can the Jets Offense man up and deliver the promise? That remains to be seen. (I don't think Jets offense has that kind of mean mentality to employ such a macho offensive philosophy.)

#17 Zach, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  18. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

A simple, smashmouth running game is one thing.

There is no such thing as a simple, smashmouth passing game. If you run deep routes into cover 2 man under no amount of execution will save you. The receiver must break off/adjust the route or the ball must be thrown elsewhere.

19. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

And that would mean the defense dictates you dump it to Keller or a RB in the flat. Not the worst option. Cover 2 and go routes would leave a lot of room underneath.

20. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

I like it.

IMO, simple, straightforward plays mean utilizing the true talent of each individual on the field - you will see who is good and who simply just doesn't have what it takes. There will be no trickery or gimmicks to hide behind anymore... If you have the ball in your hands then you better make the plays.